x

Does Android support bluetooth printers?

Beta Member

Does Android support bluetooth printers?

I notice that Square is doing bluetooth printers with the IPAD,   when are they going to have this functionality with Android?  

0 Likes
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: android Bluetooth printing

You're correct. We're not currently able to offer Android compatiblity with bluetooth printers, but this is definitely a popular feature request. While I don't have an ETA to offer on that front, we're always working to bring the same compatibility for all devices we support.

As always, keep an eye out for app updates from the Play Store.

50 Comments
Square

You're correct. We're not currently able to offer Android compatiblity with bluetooth printers, but this is definitely a popular feature request. While I don't have an ETA to offer on that front, we're always working to bring the same compatibility for all devices we support.

As always, keep an eye out for app updates from the Play Store.

Beta Member
<blockquote>As always, keep an eye out for app updates from the Play Store.</blockquote>

Hate to say it, but the "What's New" section you guys put into the Play Store is basically useless -- they are always the same text. Everytime the app is updated, I don't know what the update is for.

It doesn't loook like this is currently the case, but it would be great if bluetooth barcode scanning for android was a feature added in the future!

Alumni

Hey @droidbaker, I went ahead and moved your comment to a separate thread so that we can track whether others are also interested in this feature. Thanks for taking the time to post, I'll pass along the request to our product team and will keep you updated if I have anything to report. Have a great week! 

I am also interested being able to content Wireless devices to android. Such as Barcode reader, Star printer...

I have an android phone and tablet, now it looks like I have to get an iPad for my POS system.

Nearly a year now.  When will you have android Bluetooth support?

Btw I can print other apps to the Bluetooth printer so basic connectivity isn't the issue.

Square

Hi @MariaDesHotel. Thanks for taking the time to post. I wish I could offer a more substantial update on this feature, but I do know this is something our team is actively looking into, as it is a popular request from Android users. I can promise that we'll update this thread as soon as we can share more details. Thanks, again. 

Wow .. sad you guys aren't current with technology.  I had such high hopes for using my square as it is more recognized than other brands of credit card processors in the retail world.  I was gearing up to run my business totally on square and get away from the bank credit card machine.   Alas, you all are Apple centric only.   

So using my same LG Gpad (on your supported list) and my Star Miconics blue tooth printer (also on your supported list but apparently only for Apple) I signed up for PayPal in less than an hour, loaded their app and most importantly to my customers -- I can print receipts.  

Yes it took me a good month to decide on hardware based on your supported list.  My bad for missing the fact that Square only supports bluetooth printing from Apple as i have an extreme dislike for Apple products and refuse to go there.  I bought several of the square swipe readers, a docking bay and chip reader and had it all set up.   Without print though it is a non starter.  

I would recommend you take this to your management and let them know that I won't be using my square hardware or account until you get this problem fixed.  As there is an alternative with PayPal that will be my preferences.   

You snooze you lose.

Beta Member

MariaDesHotel, as much as I want to agree with you (I also have deep dislike for Apple products), what you think is just not true. While you are complaining that you can't use a bluetooth printer with your Android tablet, I am pretty sure that some iOS users are drooling when they see that we can use any barcode scanner with the Square app (it's not very intuitive, though) -- last time I checked, you can't do that on an iOS device because search by UPC/SKU is not supported there. My guess is that their development team is stretched too thin. Features that aren't immediately affecting a lot of users are probably on the very bottom of their to-do list.

I would also be interested​ in Android support for a Bluetooth barcode scanner.

We've moved away from Apple products as a whole.