x
Square

Square for Retail - New Feature Roundup

Last updated: October 2nd, 2017

Hi Community! I’m excited to share some new features that we’re rolling out in the Square for Retail solution. Square Retail is a separate app - now available in the App Store - that adds on a suite of often-requested features to the Point of Sale app. Check out all of our recently launched features below:

*New* in October 2017

Cross-location Inventory

When you tap “More Info” in an inventory search result, you can view details about your stock in other locations. We also provide the store address, phone number, and business hours.

You can sort and search through your results by stock count, distance, or alphabetical name.

When a product is out of stock at your location, you will now see an out of stock indication in the inventory search result.

EndlessAisle_Hero1.pngEndlessAisle_Hero2.png

Receive Purchase Orders from the Square Retail app

You can now receive purchase orders right from the Square Retail app! When your products come in, you can receive them directly from the app. When receiving a purchase order, you can also add optional fees to your order, such as shipping and taxes, to accurately reflect those costs in your Cost of Goods Sold report. You can also view the status of all your Purchase Orders on the app, whether they’ve been fully received, partially received, or are still on their way and the date to expect them on. Try it today with the Square Retail app!

HeroScreen-ReceivePO-02 (1).pngHeroScreen-ReceivePO-03.pngHeroScreen-ReceivePO-04.png

-

Advanced Label Printing 

Square for Retail now lets you choose and customize what you want to print on your product labels -- choose between SKU, Item Name, Variation Name, Barcode, and Price. You can print labels for your product categories or  even print directly from a purchase order.

Barcodes_v2__Endless_Aisle_v1__Fast_Receive_POs_20170821_-_Google_Docs.jpg 

Create and Print Bar code Labels

You can create and print labels using the following labels, their respective printing templates, and supported printers noted by the label manufacturer:

Avery Easy Peel Address Labels 1” x 4”

DYMO LW Durable 1/2” x 1-7/8”

DYMO LW Durable 3/4” x 2-1/2”

Note: If you'd like your labels to contain a scannable barcode, make sure your items have a SKU assigned to them. Learn more about creating and managing items online.

To create and print labels from your Square Dashboard:

1. Sign in to the Inventory Management section of your online Square Dashboard > click Stock.
  2. Click Print Labels

Labels 1.png 

3. Select a label type and location. 

Labels 2.png

4. Select which products you’d like to print labels for and how many.

5. Click Create > download or print labels.

Labels 4.png

6. Click Done

Labels 3.png

Receive inventory from the Square Retail app 

You can now add stock to your inventory right from the Square Retail app.

To add stock right from the app:

1. From the cart view, tap the lower left three-dot Action Menu.
  2. Tap Manage Inventory > Add Stock.
  3. Search or scan items to add stock > enter stock amounts. Scanning the same item multiple times will add the amount being added. You can also scan multiple items and adjust their quantities afterward.
  4. Once all items have been added, tap Finish Adding Stock.

Make sure your Square Retail app is up to date and give it a whirl! We’ll be adding a few more features to this flow soon, so as always, keep an eye out for more product updates!

Refunding transactions to a Gift Card

If you'd like to issue a customer store credit or perform an exchange for an item, you can do so by issuing a refund to a Square Gift Card.

Issue a Refund to a Square Gift Card for Store Credit

1. From the Retail app, tap View > Transactions.
  2. Search the receipt number or full credit card number to find the transaction.
  3. Tap the transaction to refund > Issue Refund.
  4. Select item(s) to refund > tap Refund.
  5. Select item(s) to Restock or Skip Restock.
  6. Tap Add Gift Card or Swipe > swipe or enter the gift card number.
  7. Tap Refund.

Exchange an Item Using Square Gift Cards

To exchange an item, follow the steps above, then use the newly-loaded gift card to process the sale of the new item.

Since you’ve made it this far, I’d like to encourage you to subscribe to this thread because we’ll be updating it with yet another incredible new feature in a few days. Thanks for taking the time to read this update and for being part of the Seller Community. As always, please let us know if you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback -- this is how we make Square better for you!

Make sure your Square Retail app is up to date and give it a whirl! We’ll be adding a few more features to this flow soon, so as always, keep an eye out for more product updates!

Add items from your Favorites List

The Favorites list gives you access to your most popular items in one tap so there's no need to manually search for them during every sale.

Create a Favorites List

1. From the cart view, tap the heart icon on the top-right corner.
  2. Tap Edit > Add Favorite.
  3. Check the item(s) you'd like to add to your Favorites list.
  4. Tap Done.

Add a Favorite to Your Cart

2. Select an item and applicable modifiers.
  3. Tap Add.

Edit Your Favorites List

2. Tap Edit.
  3. From here, sort items using by holding and dragging the three horizontal lines to the left of an item or tap Remove to remove an item from your Favorites list.
  4. Tap Done to save changes.

Message 1 of 77
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Square for Retail - New Feature Roundup

@beachgirl888, which Label Type are you selecting on the Create Labels screen? You'll need to select the Dymo label type that matches the label size in your printer. We currently support the DYMO 1738595 - LW Barcode Labels 3/4" x 2 1/2" and DYMO 30346 - LW Library Barcode Labels 1/2" x 1 7/8". You will then be able to print the resulting PDF to your Dymo; each page of the PDF is a single label.

76 REPLIES 76

Hello, I just signed up for Square Retail because of the feature that allows printing of barcode labels.  I really don't understand how this works for the Dymo Labelwriter 450??  The example shown is for a sheet of labels to print.  The Dymo prints individual labels.  I've tried it both ways, printing directly to dymo printer (which prints blank labels!) and downloading the file to print (does not even format with dymo!) and nothing works.  Please help!

Message 43 of 77
Square

@beachgirl888, which Label Type are you selecting on the Create Labels screen? You'll need to select the Dymo label type that matches the label size in your printer. We currently support the DYMO 1738595 - LW Barcode Labels 3/4" x 2 1/2" and DYMO 30346 - LW Library Barcode Labels 1/2" x 1 7/8". You will then be able to print the resulting PDF to your Dymo; each page of the PDF is a single label.

Message 44 of 77

Okay, great.  That worked.  Now the issue is the info on the label.  How do I edit this?  Right now, it shows the item name and then it has the word regular(?) next to it and then the price and it causes the price to be cutoff on the end.  And can the label layout be changed?

Message 45 of 77
Square

Regular is the name of your variation. If you have multiple sizes, for example, you could have Small, Medium, & Large versions of the same item. We'll be adding the ability to configure the information on the labels soon, so you can hide the variation name if you don't use it.

The cutoff price is definitely not desirable. Can you post a photo of the label for me to take back to the team?

Message 46 of 77

Hi Brad, here is a screen shot of the label with pricing cut off:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f21xr9dyidibjyl/IMG_7937%202.JPG?dl=0

So, I don't understand... I don't need a variation for my products.  Why does "regular" become the default?  Can I delete this in the item screen so it doesn't appear on my label?

Message 47 of 77

It says regular because you only have one variation setup for it.  

This is a single item - http://prntscr.com/gff2tl   * which will show regular since it doesn't have a size or color specified. 

This is one of our products with variations (size) - http://prntscr.com/gff33r

Message 48 of 77

Hi Rock, I understand that.  I just never thought "regular" would print out on my label just because I don't specify a variation.  I don't need variations for my product. I don't like that it auto-populates my label with the default setting of "regular".

Message 49 of 77
Super Seller

It's just printing what's in your item list. I bet if you go into your item and erase the word regular so it's a blank field it won't print it

Message 50 of 77

Hi, yes, I think that is the only way around this. 

Since it would be too time consuming to delete the word regular from every item in my library, I did the following:

Exported my item library.  Deleted the word regular from the excel sheet.  Saved the new file.  Imported it back into Square two different ways: modify library (didn't work) and then replace library (also did not work).

What other way can I do this???

Message 51 of 77

Hello, any feeback or updates regarding the photo I sent of the price being cut off my labels? I can't upgrade to Square for Retail if it cannot print bar code labels correctly.  Thank you.

Message 52 of 77
Admin

Sorry to keep you waiting @beachgirl888! I just checked with the Retail team and they are updating the printing settings soon (in the next 1-2 days). But if you're still experiencing this issue, please contact our Support team who can make sure your printer is configured correctly. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 53 of 77
Admin

Just to confirm @beachgirl888 the update I mentioned in the post above was released yesterday. 👍

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 54 of 77

My dymo Printer is not printing within the label when the right label is selected from "Print Labels" 

Why? I have the new Square for Retail and it is printing too large. I am sure that I have selected the correct label. 

Message 55 of 77
Admin

I moved your post to this thread @mjoslin1484 so you can see Brad's tips on configuring your printer so that the labels print correctly. If you're still having issue please contact Support directly so they can take a closer look! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 56 of 77

Is someone willing to spend some time showing me what I need in order to create bar code labels for a small retail boutique type store.  I need to know what equipment I would need to add to my current Square One register.  If someone would be willing to help me I would be very grateful.  I can be reached at [personal information redacted] Thank you.

Message 57 of 77
Admin

Hello @DLinder! If you'd like to speak to someone about your set up you can call our Support team directly. Phone support is available Monday-Friday 6am-6pm PT. 

I've also removed your contact information from this post. As outlined in our the Community Etiquette Guidelines (see 'Admin Actions') we remove personal information for your privacy! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 58 of 77
Square

Hi Community!

We just launched some new enhancement to the label creation process. 

Advanced Label Printing 

Square for Retail now lets you choose and customize what you want to print on your product labels -- choose between SKU, Item Name, Variation Name, Barcode, and Price. You can print labels for your product categories or  even print directly from a purchase order.

Barcodes_v2__Endless_Aisle_v1__Fast_Receive_POs_20170821_-_Google_Docs.jpg

Message 59 of 77
Square

Hi Community, We have 2 new exciting features to announce that we gave also updated the first page with. On the Square Retail app you can now do two new things: View inventory across all of your locations, and Receive purchase orders! Here's how:

Cross Location Inventory

You can now view your inventory across all of your retail locations with the Square Retail app. When you tap “More Info” in an inventory search result, you can view details about your stock in other locations. We also provide the store address, phone number, and business hours.

You can sort and search through your results by stock count, distance, or alphabetical name.

When a product is out of stock at your location, you will now see an out of stock indication in the inventory search result.

EndlessAisle_Hero1.pngEndlessAisle_Hero2.png

Receive Purchase Orders from the Square Retail app

You can now receive purchase orders right from the Square Retail app! When your products come in, you can receive them directly from the app. When receiving a purchase order, you can also add optional fees to your order, such as shipping and taxes, to accurately reflect those costs in your Cost of Goods Sold report. You can also view the status of all your Purchase Orders on the app, whether they’ve been fully received, partially received, or are still on their way and the date to expect them on. Try it today with the Square Retail app!

HeroScreen-ReceivePO-02 (1).pngHeroScreen-ReceivePO-03.pngHeroScreen-ReceivePO-04.png

Message 60 of 77
Beta Member

It would be great if each item had a field for a unique item handle. That way in an online store, the URL could contain a product handle to identify the product and retrieve the product data instead of having to use an ID or other identifyer that would likely just be random numbers. This would help with tracking of what products are viewed and also help with SEO results.

Message 61 of 77
Beta Member

Support for Dymo 1" x 1" label printing would be VERRRRY much appreciated!

Also the ability to auto-generate skus would be amazing as well. We have to remember what we have already used (typically by going in sequential order) because Square sometimes misses duplicates and we end up ringing up the wrong cost as a result.

Thanks

Message 62 of 77
Beta Member

Both of the asks from @SJH would be really helpful to our business as well. 1"X1" Dymo labels and the auto generating of SKUs.

Also, have you guys determined a resolution to Square now allowing duplicate SKUs and how that works with businesses that require everything to have unique SKUs and can't have duplicates?

Message 63 of 77