x

Is there any way to suggest donations in the same manner as tipping at the end of the sale?

As a non profit with a shop, it would be lovely for the buyer to be prompted to add a donation in the same manner as tipping is handled.  Is this available or does someone know a work around?

Message 1 of 43
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@dutchessdnn716 - Thanks for helping with this question. 

@debdyer - We don't currently offer the ability to edit the text on the tipping screen, but I can definitely see the value in your request. The only suggestion I can think of is to have the cashier clarify that the tipping screen is for donations. 

I'll be sure to share your feedback with our product liaison team! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Donation Option at the end of transaction?" The author has been notified via email.

Is there a way to create an option to donate a $1 at the end of a transaction, or round up the transaction? In a similar way to tipping but just by $ amount, not percentage? I work at a non-profit thrift store and this is something that other large thrift stores do and it would be really nice to take part in this additional way of fund raising. I didn't know if this is possible already or if it is something that you would consider making available in the future?

Message 22 of 43

We use the tip screen and set the first percent level at 3% to cover the processing fee. We have to explain every time that that's what it is for. It would be great if we could change "tip" to "contribution."

Message 23 of 43

I see that no one has commented on this thread in almost a year. I am new to the Square Register, but as a nonprofit thrift store, a donation option at the end of every transaction would be amazing. 

Message 24 of 43

I run a non-profit and need to change the invoice from stating"TIP' to "DONATION"

Message 25 of 43

Just wondering if I can change the name of the section from 'tips' to donations' or are we stuck with that.

Message 26 of 43
Super Seller

Message 27 of 43
Super Seller Alumni

This is something that you won't be able to edit as far as I know.  

Message 28 of 43

Hello @gatheringindust!

Currently you cannot change the tip option to say "donation" on the Point of Sale App. If this is something you need, you could create it on our Point of Sale API. Building a custom Point of Sale app does require a bit of coding, so I recommend hiring a developer if you go this route. 

Message 29 of 43

Can the word “tip”  be changed to “donate“? 

Message 30 of 43
Alumni

Hey @rabbitmeadows - Unfortunately, there isn't a way to edit that, but I've added your post to a feature request thread for a donation section of checkout. You should get alerted if we add any updates to this thread if this feature becomes available.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 31 of 43

So, the first comment requesting this tips-->donations feature is from 3 years ago; I've been checking every 6 months or so to see if there's any progress on it. Square has made any number of changes to their platform in the past few years, but as far as I can tell it's mostly just moving stuff around and changing the names of things rather than adding functionality. You do have programmers on staff over there, right? 🙂

I know we non-profiteers are probably not a huge chunk of your revenue, but I'd hope that supporting small nonprofits would be somewhere on Squareup's list of priorities. This is a simple thing that could be a huge help to a lot of little community organizations.

Thanks,

Eleanor 

Message 32 of 43

I couldn't have said it better.  I know of so many organizations that would take advantage of this.  Instead, we just do without or don't even bother.  It should be as simple as a switch (Tips/Donations).  A slight variation in screen and then done.  We've been looking at DipJar for something like this but then their system isn't a PoS it's just straight donations.  It's just frustrating because I feel like we were led to believe this was on the horizon.

Message 33 of 43

@ShapeCleveland same! I spoke on the phone with Square today and the reps said they were not aware that this feature is in development, even though the Square rep replies on this thread pretty much suggest that they were going that way.

Message 34 of 43

That's entirely frustrating to hear.  I feel like we were or at least I was led to believe this was something in the works or being considered.  I wish there was someone else we could reach out to instead of just all posting the same request on deaf ears.  

Message 35 of 43

Exactly! It's remarkable how few platforms accommodate nonprofits that have a combination of earned income and donations, which is just so, so many of us.

The only complication I can see with a donation screen is potentially reporting for taxes, because tips are taxed but donations are not (though it's easy enough to change this function on individual Items that are not taxed; we have a cash donations jar and count it in as donations at the end of the day). So if someone used this function to donate $100 and wanted a seperate reciept for taxes, that could get complicated. I expect, however, that in practice most people would use it to donate a couple dollars and not require a reciept, and I'm full prepared to make whatever accommodations are needed for the big spenders 🙂

Message 36 of 43

And I appreciate that it probably is more complex.  But there are soooo many complex things that Square is doing that there has to be a programmer that with limited time could figure that out.  They're still getting their 3% on everything.  How many nonprofits aren't even trying since it's not even a function?  

Message 37 of 43

@wasteshed same feelings, we need this feature badly but it would also be a great support to non-profits in general.  Square is not required to do anything just because I want them to (ha) but I really wish that this was being developed and going into beta testing.  It would be a game changer for our org (and increase sales volume, which is ultimately a benefit to square, but maybe not at a percentage of revenue that matters... Maybe there is a revenue threshold they look for?)

Message 38 of 43

@EJ_ any updates on this?

Message 39 of 43

We have also been requesting this feature for 2 1/2 years! Please, Square, make donating at the register an option!

Message 40 of 43

We operate a small coffee shop inside a church where we support missions. Many of our patrons would donate at the end of the transaction if it were an option on the tip screen.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add this function. So many are requesting this.

Message 41 of 43

Yes, please, please, please add a donations feature to the POS system. We have the Square Register and to better support and engage the community, we'd like our customers to have the ability to come along side us in donating to college scholarships for our local high school.

Message 42 of 43