x

I can’t get my Quickbooks Self Employed account to sync with my Square Up account. Help?

Help!  I can get my quickbooks self employed account to sync with my Square up account.  I have tried authorizing through payroll but it just sends an error message!  Can you only sync with Quickbooks online and not Quickbooks Self Employed?  

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for your post about this Janice. I'm sorry for any confusion but to clarify: you're right, as of April 2017 the Quickbooks Self-Employed and Square Bank Feed integration is no longer available. 

As a workaround you can still manually import your transactions from Square to QuickBooks Self-Employed, or you can use QuickBooks other syncing tool Sync with Square

I'll share your request with the Partnerships team to bring this integration back but I do recommend reaching out to QuickBooks directly if it's important to your business. They'll also be able to make sure you're using the best QuickBooks products. and help you to make that important decision! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi @JessicaP

I believe we only integrate with Quickbooks Online, but I'd recommend you double check with Quickbooks directly, as they have more insight into the integration and how it works (or if there's a workaround for you). 

Essentially it's a one-way integration that imports your sales transactions from Square into QuickBooks, so there are some limitations. 

Let us know what the outcome is once you speak with Quickbooks, as I'm sure a few other sellers have a similar question and could benefit from your insight 👍🏼

Message 2 of 12

I've seen discussions from the Square support folks suggesting we (the customers) contact QuickBooks to ask why this doesn't work but it is clear that Square won't connect with QuickBooks Self-Employed (which it appears that it used to but stopped connecting last April 2017). My question to Square is - what is the problem? And is this on the list to be fixed/addressed? Is this simply not a high enough priority given the number of QuickBook Self-Employed users? It would be awesome to get a direct answer so that I can make an informed decision about continuing to use Square for my invoicing needs.

Thanks! - Janice

Message 3 of 12
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for your post about this Janice. I'm sorry for any confusion but to clarify: you're right, as of April 2017 the Quickbooks Self-Employed and Square Bank Feed integration is no longer available. 

As a workaround you can still manually import your transactions from Square to QuickBooks Self-Employed, or you can use QuickBooks other syncing tool Sync with Square

I'll share your request with the Partnerships team to bring this integration back but I do recommend reaching out to QuickBooks directly if it's important to your business. They'll also be able to make sure you're using the best QuickBooks products. and help you to make that important decision! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 12

There is only one reason I can think of why Quickbooks Self-Employed does not integrate with Square while Quickbooks Online does, and that is greed in the form of bait-and-switch on the part of Intuit.  Including Quickbooks Self-Employed "free" with Turbotax Self-Employed gives a small business owner enough of a taste that some users will shell out money to upgrade from the neutered "free" Quickbooks Self-Employed to Quickbooks Online to get useful functionality.  I'm a software engineer with over 30 years experience and know that unless Intuit is clueless that the software code base used in both versions of Quickbooks is the same.  It's only a matter of which features are included or enabled in each.

Anyway, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but be sure you're being straight with me because I will be able to see through it otherwise.

Message 5 of 12

Hello @gsylvain

We used to support Quickbooks Self Employed through the Quickbooks bank feed integration. The bank feed integration was discontinued a little over a year ago. It was replaced by the Sync with Square app, which can be found in the Quickbooks App Store. Intuit actually has an article comparing the change, if you want to take a closer look at it! 

Message 6 of 12

I appreciate the response, but the article link you sent seems to only apply to Quickbook Online, which seems to be different from QuickBook SelfEmployed Online, which we use.  For example:

1. I see nowhere to add apps to the Quickbooks Self-Employed web UI.

2. Under the gear menu there is no Tools item; only three items: Tranactions, Taxes, and About You.  Under Transactions there is an "Imports" item, but that only links to a screen for importing bank transactions, but not Square Items data exported by Square.

I believe I found the article you sent, which led me to make the post I did.

If I've missed the obvious I would welcome your correction.  Thanks for your time and effort anyway.

Message 7 of 12

Sorry I wasn't clear in my first post @gsylvain.

We used to support Quickbooks Self Employed. The bank feed integration that supported QuickBooks Self Employed ended about a year ago. It was replaced with the Sync with Square app that you can find on Quickbooks App Store. The article was describing the differences between the bank feed integration and the Sync app.

Personally I don't know why the Sync with Square app does not integrate with Quickbooks Self Employed. That would be a good question for Intuit. 

Message 8 of 12

And I misunderstood you.  I found the Intuit "QuickBooks Online" app on the Square site, which links to the QuickBooks app store, and it does appear to only be an app for QuickBooks Online - but that's Intuit's bad.  And you are right in that why this is the case is a question for Intuit, which was actually whom I was hoping would respond to my original comment.

Anyway, we appreciate the support we get from Square.  You folks do a great job!  If worse comes to worse I hope I can download a CSV of YTD sales transactions from Square, which I can merge it into the spreadsheet that QuickBooks Self-Employed provides and account for Sales Tax and interest expenses.  Again, thanks, Chad!

Message 9 of 12

@gsylvain no worries! Sometimes it's hard to convey things in text. If you ever need help please feel free to @ mention me. I'm always happy to help out. 😀

Message 10 of 12

***Comment deleted. I should have finished reading the thread first. 🙂

Message 11 of 12

Janice, I've worked as a software engineering with an emphasis in networking for many years years and believe that the symptoms  described here indicate that QuickBooks is refusing the connect attempt made by Square.  I think this support question needs to go back into Intuit's court.  Best wishes.

Message 12 of 12