x

Can I process an exchange?

I own a clothing boutique and would love for square to come up with a return category. As of now we are doing everything on paper but it would be nicer, more organized and professional if we could do everything to square and it automatically put it back into inventory. Along with asking how the customer would like the return back. We do store credit or exchange so as of now we are just making gift cards and using our discount category to clear out the total as we put it back on the gift card for them to use in future purchases.

Message 1 of 54
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can I process an exchange?

Hi there!

Know it's been a while, but I wanted to follow up on this post. Exchanges with automatic inventory adjustments are now available in the Square Retail App. It's still on the roadmap for the Square Point of Sale app.

Learn more here

Thanks as always for being a Square seller!

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Absolutely see how that would streamline the process, that gift card trick is a great work around if you only allow exchange or store credit and not full returns! 

Keep in mind that if you do process a full return on the original transaction, your inventory will not be adjusted and you will have to manually edit your inventory to match the return. 

I'll be sure to share your concerns and requests with our product liaison team! 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 54
53 REPLIES 53
Square

@Valleypoolstore - It sounds like you would have to deal with this in two separate transactions. You can always issue a partial refund if you need to return part of a past transaction to a customer. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 22 of 54

Some of these deposit returns are from months even years earlier. Is there a way to input a return without a prior transaction.

Message 23 of 54
Square

@Valleypoolstore - There is not. You also have to process refunds within 60 days. 😕

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 24 of 54

Do you have the same deposit for each item? Can you put in a negative amount(vaired or set) as an item named discount or can you put in a discount amount named deposit refund that may account for this?  Not sure that would help, but until they get a better feature it may be a little easier than what you are dealing with now.

Message 25 of 54
Square Community Moderator

@HOF Great workaround suggestions! We know these workarounds aren't ideal, so hopefully we get this improved for you all soon. 

Message 26 of 54
Super Seller Alumni

I would also like to vote for a better return/refund system.

1) A return should affect both inventory and the sales report by item.  There should be separate lines for returned items with the quantity returned.

2) A return should be able to be made for cash or store credit without finding the original transaction.

My previous POS system (ERPLY) had a return button that would allow me to tag an item as being returned instead of sold.  It would deduct it from the sale, and even go negative if necessary.  The inventory was properly adjusted and sales report would be accurate for revenue and number of items sold (with the return being deducted).

Message 27 of 54

We can now do returns on invidual items from a sale, but the modifiers don't display on the selection screen.  There's no way of knowing which one you're returning if there is more than one item with the same name, but different modifiers.  Please update the app so that the modifiers are displayed for each item on the return screen.  Thank you.

Message 28 of 54

@ESA Thanks for pointing this out! I can definitely see how this would be a useful feature. 

I'll definitely pass this to our Product Team. Hopefully they can implement something to help with this in the near future. 

Keep an eye out for updates 

Message 29 of 54

Please add another request for exchange recording capabilities to your list! 

We have a 30 day return/exchange policy required by our building management. Returns are much better now that items are broken out individually (thanks for that!) But since most of our customers exchange, we have to manually record the transaction and make sure we go back into inventory (we use Shopventory) to edit the quantities after the fact.

To process an exchange, we use the original $ amount returned as an "other" payment toward whatever new item(s) they want to take home and then handwritten notes on the original receipt - but that doesn't give us any Square-based record of the item that was actually returned from the original receipt - which could potentially cause issues down the line.

Message 30 of 54

@THS Thanks for expressing your interest in this as well. Hopefully we can get something implemented for you in the future product updates. 

Message 31 of 54
Super Seller Alumni

@THS Yeah, I understand the simplicity of the excahnge.  Still, we found it "cleaner" to treat it as separate transactions.  Return the item, give the customer their money back.  Sell another item.

@Kpay @EJ_ What would be sweet is if we could process a return to a gift card even if the customer paid with cash or credit card.  This would allow a policy of "return for store credit".

Message 32 of 54

@sciabica1936 This is something that our Product Team is actively working on. I don't have an exact timeline for you, but it is on our roadmap so keep an eye out for updates in the near future. 

Message 33 of 54

I am VERY unhappy with the fact Square POS is not set up to do exchanges.  It's critical for us considering we are a retail store and we do not issue refunds! Anyone have a suggestion as to what I can possibly do to make this system work?

Message 34 of 54
Alumni

Hey there @socialjane1189 - I completely hear you on this! I spent many years managing apparel retail stores before my time here at Square and I totally understand how important exchanges are for a retail business. 

At this time, Square Point of Sale only offers refunds and not exchanges. I moved your post to this thread where other sellers have been discussing the same situation. Make sure to check out @Elleraeboutique's original post as well as @Kelly's follow up response. I'll also be sure to pass this feedback along to our Product Team.

Message 35 of 54

I would like to be able to exchange items returned in the mail and send a new item out, Without having to send customer a new invoice to pay.   

Message 36 of 54
Alumni

Thanks for chiming in on this @LipSenseQueen. I'll add you to the list of sellers looking for this feature. 👍

Message 37 of 54

I use Square to sell at trade shows. At times it can be hectic  and the traffic usually comes in waves. Sometimes people buy the wrong color or version and need to exchange for the right one.   Turning a simple exchange into a convoluted process of finding the invoice, refunding it, and reselling the correct item is a waste of time that would be better spent explaining my product to customers and processing sales transactions. This ridiculous policy from Square translates into lost sales. 

Message 38 of 54

Hello @RadicalDad, we hear you! I will make sure to pass your feedback along to the Product Team. As you can see from previous posts we are still tracking this feature request. 😀

Message 39 of 54

So, over a year of customers asking for an exchange option. Something that is standard practice in any retail environment. What is the hold up? How many people do you need to ask before you actually make the change? It is an issue that hinders store policies of "exchange only/no return", impacts inventory, and creates questionable dollar off amounts in bookkeeping. We, business owners, chose you, Square. Please listen to what WE NEED to run our businesses. 

Message 40 of 54

I am a teacher that runs the school store that has returns also.  Have been trying for 9 months to figure this out.  Just found this thread ... has square added the returns yes?

Message 41 of 54

I would like to be able to process a refund with no time limit like the present 60 days! My product is seasonal and that make it difficult with this restriction.

Message 42 of 54