x

How can I add a negative modifier?

How can I add a negative modifier?

I want to add a modifier that will decrease the price. How can I do this?

91 Comments

Hi I have noticed that negative modifers have been discussed, I am wondering has this been added to any update? 

Admin

@Skout I'm sorry but negative modifiers aren't available at this time. We'll let everyone in this thread know if this feature is released in a future update. Thanks for checking in!

Ok, so onvioiusly a negative modifier is not available (squae you greedy [Redacted]) HOW ABOUT A NEGATIVE DISCOUNT BUTTON?

OR JUST A BUTTON TO CHARGE A PROCESSING FEE

Add me to the +1 for this feature, please.

Our use case is that items are often available in a pack, and charged at a different (cheaper) price. 

Using discounts for this is problematic, for two reasons:

• If the pack price isn't a uniform percentage discount, then you end up with many discounts, and no easy way for POS staff to know which discount should be applied to which products. It's very easy to apply the wrong discount for the product.

• The discount is applied across the whole order, which messes up reporting on individual SKU revenue. That is, Square will say "You sold all items in this sale with a $5 discount spread across all of them", when in fact the other items in the order weren't discounted at all.

Having a modifier to say "This item is cheaper because x" would solve both of these for us really well.

Alumni

Thanks for this very thorough explanation of why this feature would be useful @benatcompanion! I'll pass this along to our product team and let you know as we get updates.

I agree with @benatcompanion. The current modifier works well for adding, but I am really just confused why the development stopped there. It would have taken a simple toggle or drop down option for either + or -, and it would have been much cleaner and user friendly than the current setup.

I work as a web app and ux developer, and I don't understand why any team would agree to stop with only one form of modification. I feel like there needs to be many more conditional options built into this app, but specifically in this regard.

On the same line of thought, am I missing where there's a conditional option to automatically drop the price of an item based on quantity ordered? From what I see you have to just create a bunch of different products and different rates. If that's so, doesn't that seem clunky, and make for a cluttered UI?

It wouldn't be that much of an undertaking to turn this into a form option:

Conditional Pricing:

1) Conditional price name

2) Product that condition will be applied to

3) Regular price

4) Tax options

5) Item location

Then a couple of conditional and/or choices...

Bulk Buy Option:

4) Conditional quantity drop down (if ordering X or more...)

5) Then apply discount to that item.

and/or

BOGO:

6) If you buy item X(drop down here) with item Y(drop down here)

7) Enter new X price here

😎 Enter new Y price here

These are just a couple very basic suggestions, that I know I'm not alone on. This would make doing business day-to-day much easier, and I really don't get why something like these weren't in place upon release. If these are in place and I'm missing it, please let me know, so I can simplify my system.

Super Seller

I love the thought of the conditonal price option!  Part of our operation is a bakery.  When you buy a dozen donuts the price drops.  I would love it to be that simple!  It would elimante employee error (and time).

We also need negative modifiers. In our situation we have a item called coffee which is $4.50 for a 12oz. Now if someone wants regular milk the price stays the same. If they want speciality milk like soy then it's an extra 50 cents. If they want a black coffee then we need to subtract $1.50. Hence the need for negative modifiers. We are moving to square from an ehopper/paypal system. Squares lack of this basic negative modifier option (which is available in a shoddy app like ehopper) is really bad. It's as simple as allowing someone to enter a negative value or a positive value in the price of a modifier. 

Hi Hamish,

I've worked around that situation by making the base price of the SKU the lowest (the black coffee price), and then having a modifier set with the default selection (the first option in a 'must select' modifier set) as your most commonly used add-on (your standard milk option). So you'd end up with something like:

Coffee, 12oz: $3.00

Modifier - Milk options:

• Regular Milk: $1.50 (this is the default)
  • Specialty Milk: $2.00
  • No Milk: $0.00

You can also hide the modifier selections from receipts, which makes things less confusing for the customer.