x

Is it possible to set up recurring / subscription / membership payments through my Square website?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

Message 1 of 239
3 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

We introduced the ability to offer a recurring donation option last summer 

I can give you a quick rundown here - let's go! 

You'll start by heading to your Square Dashboard > Online Checkout

Click the Create checkout link in the top right-hand corner:

Select Accept a donation from the options in the pop-up:

On the next page, you'll want to give your donation item a name, and possibly a description.
Most importantly, be sure to click Advanced settings to toggle ON the Accept recurring donations setting.

This is also where you can select the frequency of the recurring donation and set a donation goal (optional).

At the bottom of this window, you can also add custom fields!

Be sure to hit Create link - now you've got your checkout link! If you want to customize the text shown on your button, locate your created checkout link from the Checkout Link page, and click it. Next, select Customize:

If you want to add this button to your website, copy the Website button code and head over to your website editor and insert it wherever you want customers to see your donation button 

Here's an example of my checkout link offering recurring donations:

If any questions come up as you create your checkout link, feel free to let us know here so we can dig with you, @RogerS!

Verified Answer

Re: Does Square offer subscriptions for online store purchases?

Hey there  @Gabberdunes -

At this time, the only way to do this is by creating a Recurring Invoice Series. However, customers wont be able to opt in when placing online orders since online won't recognize them as an invoices.

I'll pass tag your idea as a feature request so the Product Team gets word of what you're looking for. Keep an eye out for updates! 

Verified Answer

Re: Membership Management

The answer is YES

If I set up the Club Membership as an item, will it be able to get a report of the item sold together with the name of customers who bought it?  Yes, you can assign a customer to any sale.  If you are selling a recurring membership you can do this through recurring invoices.  If the customer saves there payment information then it will auto charge the account each month.

Can I get a report of all payments going through the linked bank account for reconciliation purposes? There are many reports you can use to show payment and daily deposits.

Also, can multiple users share access to the software? Yes, You can use employee management to give controlled access to the app.

2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @TABMin🌟

Just wanted to update this thread with our most current options.

As @RHatch said, you can create a recurring invoice to function as a subscription. This will autocharge your customer on a schedule of your choosing.

OR 

We also have subscription payments with Square Checkout links. With Square Online Checkout you can set up one checkout link with the subscription feature enabled. Instead of using Square Invoices for recurring payments, the subscription checkout link can be used to accept weekly, monthly, quarterly, or annual payments from multiple customers with a single checkout link. You can also self-select which specific checkout links your customers will be able to pay through. For example, use donation links for accepting monthly payments from donors/supporters.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 203 of 239
Alumni

Best Answer

We introduced the ability to offer a recurring donation option last summer 

I can give you a quick rundown here - let's go! 

You'll start by heading to your Square Dashboard > Online Checkout

Click the Create checkout link in the top right-hand corner:

Select Accept a donation from the options in the pop-up:

On the next page, you'll want to give your donation item a name, and possibly a description.
Most importantly, be sure to click Advanced settings to toggle ON the Accept recurring donations setting.

This is also where you can select the frequency of the recurring donation and set a donation goal (optional).

At the bottom of this window, you can also add custom fields!

Be sure to hit Create link - now you've got your checkout link! If you want to customize the text shown on your button, locate your created checkout link from the Checkout Link page, and click it. Next, select Customize:

If you want to add this button to your website, copy the Website button code and head over to your website editor and insert it wherever you want customers to see your donation button 

Here's an example of my checkout link offering recurring donations:

If any questions come up as you create your checkout link, feel free to let us know here so we can dig with you, @RogerS!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 229 of 239
238 REPLIES 238

I run a petting zoo and would like to give customers the option to buy a membership that would give them unlimited access for say, 6 months or a year. I'm not sure if this would be considered a season pass or what the proper terminology would be. It would be nice to be able to issue them a card with a customer number or something that could be scanned to verify their membership when they check in. I could make a spreadsheet of names or phone numbers or email addresses and the date the pass was purchased and the date it expires, but I'm hoping there's an easier way to do this within Square.

Message 43 of 239
Super Seller Alumni

Square doesn't really support a membership program that would fit those needs exactly.

We sell memberships to our Zoo through Square, but only in the sense that we have buttons that are labeled for the memberships and the revenue goes under a category called membership.

I then have admission buttons that are labeled 'Member Adult' 'Member Child', etc. that have a value of $0.00...but that track the attendance.  (I have those zero value member admission buttons entered under the admissions category with the paying admission buttons...but it keeps the overall attendance lumped together in my reports.)

We track our memberships through Membee.com, which offers a pretty robust set of features for $65 a month.  Or you could use the methods you described to track them.

Message 44 of 239

I appreciate your response. I had read in another thread about membee.com but haven't looked into it yet. I was thinking about creating an item like you said for $0 and checking in the customer using that while keeping track of it outside of Square. Good advice.

Thanks again.

Message 45 of 239
Super Seller Alumni

Membee is...ok.  I mean, when you compare the pittance they charge vs. the other major players...it's a steal.  One pro tip if you ever find yourself down the road going with them:  look over the automated e-mail templates very closely.  They don't put much effort into them and they come across as rudely abusive to the members with repeated use of the word 'invoice' and 'due.' 🙂

Message 46 of 239

Hi,

I'm managing a sport club and looking for a software to help managing payments and memberships.

Square ticks the payment box as our club is moving to card/online payments for membership and equipments sales.

However, I'm not sure if Square could help with membership payment tracking. If I set up the Club Membership as an item, will it be able to get a report of item sold together with the name of customers who bought it?

Can I get a report of all payments going through the linked bank account for reconciliation purposes?

Also, can multiple users share access to the software?

Thanks for your help.

Ken

Message 47 of 239
Super Seller Alumni

The answer is YES

If I set up the Club Membership as an item, will it be able to get a report of the item sold together with the name of customers who bought it?  Yes, you can assign a customer to any sale.  If you are selling a recurring membership you can do this through recurring invoices.  If the customer saves there payment information then it will auto charge the account each month.

Can I get a report of all payments going through the linked bank account for reconciliation purposes? There are many reports you can use to show payment and daily deposits.

Also, can multiple users share access to the software? Yes, You can use employee management to give controlled access to the app.

Message 48 of 239

If  customer signs up for a subscription product on the 15th of a month for example, will it renew on the 15th of the next month or am I able to set it up so that all subscriptions renew on the 1st of each month? 

Message 49 of 239

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Membership Management Database

I own an outdoor park that offers 3 levels of yearly membership.  I would like to know if Square is a viable option to manage the membership database.  The members need to be able to sign up either on-site or online, select their level of membership, agree to our liability waiver, watch a video that gives a tour of the facility, and of course pay. 

I would also like for each member to have either a user card or a number that they can enter when they arrive at the facility and when they leave.  I would also like to be able to email all of our customers for announcements/etc. 

Is this doable through Square?

Message 50 of 239
Admin

@ProTEQ I'm moving your post here where you can read @RHatch's reply to this question! 

I'll also add that you can add your waiver as a PDF to an invoice, and you could include a link to the video in the invoice message field. You can create a 'Customer Number' field to be included in each Customer Profile - that way when you create a new profile you can assign a unique number to each member.

At this time Square doesn't support membership cards. You could look up a customer from the app to add their information to a sale - but customers wouldn't be able to check in to the app using their number.

And last but not least with Square Marketing you can create and send email campaigns to your members and/or reachable customers. If you have any other questions about Square Marketing feel free to post those for our Live Q&A coming up soon!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 51 of 239
Beta Member

Hi @ProTEQ

Pintuna is a Square partner. Our Membership App is fully integrated with Square and can handle
your membership program needs. If you are still looking just drop us a note at sales@pintuna.com and we can setup a demo.

Message 52 of 239

I am interested in moving to an online payment system for our PTO Membership. However, I need to collect information on each member. Does sqaure have  a way or app that would support this?

Thank You

Message 53 of 239
Alumni

How exciting @MEPTO! Square has a Customer Directory that holds information about your "customers" that might be a good fit for you. Here's a getting started guide: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6217

Message 54 of 239

Can I use gift cards as discount cards or as a membership card?

Example: I want to give out cards to loyal customers and when they use the card they will  receive discounts on certain items.

I also want to sell the cards as membership cards which would also entitle customers who purchase the card to certain member perks ie discounts..

Message 55 of 239
Super Seller

you could do that but the gift card won't help as it isn't going to trigger any event to discount or unlock any special prices.

Message 56 of 239

I work for a small non-profit art museum. We are looking to upgrade our membership system to include cards that can be scanned when a member visits. Can square create new membership cards and scan cards when members visit? 

Message 57 of 239
Admin

Welcome to the Seller Community @MOCAsho_Tucson! ☀️

At this time Square doesn't have a membership card feature and I'll share your request with the Product Teams here. In the meantime, this thread has information about how other sellers use Square for their membership programs and subscriptions. I hope it helps or gives you some ideas!  

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 58 of 239
Beta Member

Hi @MOCAshop_Tucson

Pintuna is a Square partner. Our Membership App is fully integrated with Square and can handle
your membership program needs. If you are still looking just drop us a note at sales@pintuna.com and we can setup a demo.

Message 59 of 239
Admin

Welcome to the Seller Community, @Katyd, and thanks for your post!

Yes, you can set up subscriptions with recurring invoices. For more details on how to go about it, have a look at RHatch's reply in: Does Square offer recurring payments (subscriptions)?

Hope this helps—don't hesitate to let us know if any questions remain. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 60 of 239

I need to be able to have a link on my website that a customer can click on that will take their card for monthly payments and automatically charge it for 6 months or whichever one they purchase. This is not something where I would be sending an invoice but would be more like an online store where they enter their card and pay online. Would it work with this?

Message 61 of 239
Admin

@monhershaft

You can definitely set up your customers to have recurring payments via our Invoice system. This thread should explain how to do it, and the benefits of setting it up like this. Your customers can also leave a Card on File to make the payments fully automated.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 62 of 239
Agency Partner

I also have this question, is there a way to create a checkout link that does it for a set period of monthly payments? such as 3 /6 / 12 monthly payment options? Thank you!

Message 63 of 239