x

Will it work to import Quickbooks items into Square instead of Square items into Quickbooks?

To properly import transactions from Square to Quickboks Online to match items and account for inventory sold, I finally found directions that said to export Square items and import them into Quickbooks via csv file. That will duplicate all my items. At least Square has the option of replacing or adding the new items. What needs to match? Just the name? Has anyone successfully done this? Thank you in advance for your experience.

Message 1 of 13
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

I use the Quickbook Onlines integration with Square.  The names have to match.  So as you add in new inventory be sure to update the name in both systems identically.  I use SKU/UPC codes and made the bad assumption that the SKUS were the look up field.  We use the purchase order system in QBO and when new products were added we weren't consistent with the name because we thought the SKU was the look up.  QBO online allows you to edit your list with an import but as you point out the names have to be identical for the update or you will have duplicate items and a lot of clean up work ahead of you.

Other Square / QB items to look for if the items do not match:

Unmatched items - appear in QB P&L as Square Income; Inventory Asset and COGS does not update accurately.

There are also other issues with QBO - it's difficult to run a margin report by product.  I can go into more detail here if you like but basically unless you have all costs entered in the products list - you can't run a high level report. 

You have to enter costs in the products list because the PO costs do not update in the product list directly.  This seems like a must have.  Especially if you have many products. 

It's unfortunate that you have to use two different systems:

Square for Sales and Income & another system to manage costs

See Cashscleaners post for an enhancement to add Costs and Margin reports in Square

It would be nice if Square created an end to end solution for users

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Best Answer

I use the Quickbook Onlines integration with Square.  The names have to match.  So as you add in new inventory be sure to update the name in both systems identically.  I use SKU/UPC codes and made the bad assumption that the SKUS were the look up field.  We use the purchase order system in QBO and when new products were added we weren't consistent with the name because we thought the SKU was the look up.  QBO online allows you to edit your list with an import but as you point out the names have to be identical for the update or you will have duplicate items and a lot of clean up work ahead of you.

Other Square / QB items to look for if the items do not match:

Unmatched items - appear in QB P&L as Square Income; Inventory Asset and COGS does not update accurately.

There are also other issues with QBO - it's difficult to run a margin report by product.  I can go into more detail here if you like but basically unless you have all costs entered in the products list - you can't run a high level report. 

You have to enter costs in the products list because the PO costs do not update in the product list directly.  This seems like a must have.  Especially if you have many products. 

It's unfortunate that you have to use two different systems:

Square for Sales and Income & another system to manage costs

See Cashscleaners post for an enhancement to add Costs and Margin reports in Square

It would be nice if Square created an end to end solution for users

Message 2 of 13

Agreed!  We are just starting up, and I have very fond memories of using old, hard copy Quickbooks.  Now I'm trying to sync Square, which I got because Square videos insisted that Square has "everything you need" to run your business.  Well, it didn't, so I got Quickbooks online and used the sync with Square app, so now I face the nightmare of trying to sync the inventory and having countless problems.  Square is beautiful, and nice to use, except when it comes to keeping the government happy, and many other things.  I wish I could use the square hardware with Quickbooks!  I'm afraid I may abort the mission entirely!

Message 3 of 13
Admin

Hey @NogginGames — firstly, welcome to the seller community!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and sorry to hear about the issues you've been encountering with the Point of Sale app and QuickBooks reporting. I will be sure to surface your post with our Product Liaison team.

In addition, I did want to point out that we recently released a new point of sale app, called Square for Retail, which does have some advanced reporting options for inventory. Learn more about it in this thread: Introducing Square for Retail.

Please keep in touch for updates and don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 13

How can we import from Square and retain the customer's name?  Everything just comes in as "Square Customer" and we have to manually update everyone's account in QBO which is SOOOO time consuming!

Message 5 of 13
Admin

Hi @Starlight, thanks for surfacing this request and sorry to hear that this issue leads to additional manual entry. We are not able to release customer details from Square, such as name and email address, at this time. For this reason, you'll see the default customer called "Square Customer" for all Square transactions when syncing with QuickBooks.

If you haven't already, I would suggest getting in touch with QuickBooks directly. They may be able to provide additional information to help make the workflow more efficient. Hope this helps get you in the right direction—let us know if any questions remain.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 13
Beta Member

I want to confirm that Square does NOT share customer name, phone number, or other identifying information with Quickbooks. I want Square to be HIPAA-compliant. QB is not HIPAA compliant. That means I cannot have my customer information in Square sent over to QB. I just went to QBO to set up the integration. That requires a login to my Square account and brings up a Square screen asking me to approve Square giving Intuit various types of information including "Read my customer contact information." The detail under the info button says it includes customer name, email, and phone. I do not want Intuit to get that information. I actually need it all to come over as "Square Customer." (I understand why other Square users are frustrated with this, but I actually need it to be that way.) How can I be assured that Square is not giving customer info to Intuit given this screen? Thank you.

Message 7 of 13
Square Community Moderator

@suslyb Thanks for reaching out! Each day, all sales recorded within Square are brought over to QuickBooks as a sales receipt. These details include: item name and quantity sold, discounts, shipping charges, taxes and fees. Customer information is not included in the list of transaction information transferred over, but I would recommend reaching out to Quickbooks themselves to have them confirm what they receive. 

Also, welcome to the Seller Community!!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 13

Hi there I went through this painful process and the name is the unique identifier in Quickbooks instead of the SKU. 

Message 9 of 13

We are having a heck of a time becuase all the sqaure transactions that are being loaded into quickbooks are coming in with the customer name as just "Square customer" and not the actual name. Anyone else having this issue and have a fix? If this cant be fixed im going to need to find a different solution as its causing hours and hours of work

Message 10 of 13
Admin

@bernardmccarthy

Welcome to the Community, glad to have you here. I've moved your post to a thread with some relevant information about the integration between QBO and Square. Tom does address this specifically.  Because this integration is managed by QBO, we'd suggest getting in touch with them to help.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 11 of 13

Need to import menu items into QuickBooks, how do I export file from Square 

Message 12 of 13
Alumni

Found this article on Quickbook's help center. @CH10

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 13 of 13