x

cancelled transaction

A transaction was cancelled but there is now a hold on the customer's bank account for that dollar amount. Will it fall off automatically? If so, how long does it take?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square

Yep! Once you cancel a transaction, Square will automatically send a notification to your customer's card issuing bank letting them know that we are no longer requesting the funds. From there it is up to the card issuing bank to drop that charge, it will always depend on the individual bank but usually they drop these "pending" charges in 2-3 business days. 

Message 2 of 6

Hi Kelly,

We had a cancelled transaction on our end but the transaction went through in the customer's bank account. How do you suggest proceed so we receive payment without putting more work on the customer?

Thank you!

Message 3 of 6

Hello @Chloe_HP, do you know if this transaction was voided or declined?

You should be able to see it on the Transaction Status Report if it was declined or voided. If you see the payment on this report you or your customer don't have much to worry about. A void or a decline will result in a pending hold for the amount of the payment on the customers statement for a few business days and then fall off. If this is the case you will have to reprocess the payment with your customer. 

If the payment isn't on this report I recommend reaching out to our Support Team so they can help you locate the payment and the deposit it's associated with. 

Message 4 of 6

Hi Chad,

Thank you! The payment status says cancelled. But it has been over a month since the transaction and the customer says it went through on their card. Should I ask her to cancel or dispute the transaction through her bank? Then once that is processed rerun her card?

Thank you,

Chloe

Message 5 of 6

That's really weird @Chloe_HP

If they still see the payment on their credit card statement, they should probably file a dispute. After that's cleared up go ahead and re-run the card! It would definitely be a first if they were actually charged. Could you let me know how it goes? 🙂

Message 6 of 6