x

Customer Directory - Tracking First-time Customers

Hey, there.

We would like a way to intake customer information that includes a way to register if someone has been to our facility before and/or how they heard about it, if they are new.  This data helps our Outreach team budget for the most visible and effective uses of the advertising budget.  However, I can't seem to find a way to enter this information before or during a transaction.  I could create a "New Customer" ID but then I can't intake my usual information (town of residence, etc.) because it supplants that slot at the Customer top-level.  Also, even if they are a "New Customer," I can't enter anything about HOW they heard about us.

To be clear, this information only needs to be taken in once, ever, per customer,  After that, they become repeat users and know about us from previous experience.  Even just being able to enter a quick note at the tail would be great.  It's a pretty incidental piece of data but it has substantial value.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Admin

Hi @Mikecvswmd, welcome to the seller community and thanks for bringing this up!

I had the chance to take a look into this and I do see areas where we can make this more clear, though hopefully I can help with a solution that will work well for your team.

You can add a note at the tail end of a sale from the app with a new customer by doing the following:

1. Select the item or enter in a custom amount.
  2. Add Customer > Create Customer.
  3. You should see the option to add: first and last name, email, phone, company, and address details.
  4. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and you'll see field labeled "Other" where you can enter in a custom note for the customer's status.
  5. Save your entry and complete the sale.

The note you enter will be included in your customer's profile and you'll be able to access it from the Directory tab in the online Square Dashboard as well as your Customers tab int the app.

I hope this helps get you where you need to be. Please let me know if you have any further questions and thanks for your patience as we work to improve!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 5

That seems about right, and I did try it that way.  But what I noticed is that this becomes attached to that customer for every transaction.  We don't need to modify customers, I just need to attach a note in a sale, since the data is tied to the transaction, not the customer, for our purposes.  

Message 3 of 5
Admin

Got it. Yes, you're correct on that. Thanks for double checking and circling back here. There is an additional option to include a note with the sale, which will then be reflected in the Item Details CSV, though I'm not sure it would be effective in the long-term for keeping track of first-time customers. Learn more here: Notes on Payments and Item Descriptions.

As a way of reducing the burden from your Outreach team, you may also be interested in setting up an automated campaign for first-time customers using Square Marketing: Using Automated Campaigns.

I realize this doesn't quite help streamline everything you're needing to do right now, but I hope it helps. Please do keep in touch!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 5

I believe this option does exactly what I need.  I didn't know it was located in the same screen when the receipt is being requested, under the Customer icon.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 5