x

Feature Request: Track inventory on modifiers

Feature Request: Track inventory on modifiers

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Tracking Modifiers in Inventory

One of the things I sell are archery bows.  When I sell a bow, it comes with a bowstring.  I also sell individual bowstrings.  I track inventory for bows AND bowstrings.  At the end of the day, I would like to see the TOTAL number of bowstrings out of my inventory (strings that went out wilh each bow + the strings sold individually).

The only way I've seen to do this are 1) "sell" a string with each bow, reducing the price to $0.00, or 2) attach a modifier to each bow that has the proper size bowstring automatically attached.  Option 2 would work best for me because I would eliminate employees forgetting to perform the steps in option 1, however I cannot find a way to accurately track my bowstring inventory while employing option 2.

Any suggestions?

98 Comments
Super Seller Alumni

Maybe this will help you.

Click on create item and you will see this window.  Fill in all the information when you get to Price & inventory click add Variations.

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 5.26.11 PM.png

Then you will see this box.  Here you can add your variations like the example below.  Once you add them then you can go back and add inventory.

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 5.26.47 PM.png

Square Community Moderator

Thanks for helping out here @RHatch

@eleganceshoe Did everything work out ok? Let us know if you need more help. 

Definitely not, Square isn't offering a lot of flexibility here...

Hey @eleganceshoe, could you maybe share how you're trying to setup your inventory, so we all can have a better idea of what you're trying to achieve? @RHatch has posted some great examples of item variations and inventory tracking, but I noticed you haven't mentioned the actual setup you're looking for. 

I'll keep an eye out for your reply! 🙂

I'm sorry to jump on this thread, but I have what I think is a similar question. I am trying to add t-shirts to our school's online store. We have Youth Shirts, Adult Shirts, and Women's Shirts, in 8 different colors, 4-5 different sizes, and different inventory amounts for each style, color, and size.

Right now, I have the "style" of shirt as the item, for example, Adult T-shirt. I'd like our customers to be able to choose their size and their color, but I'm not sure how to do this without listing 40 variations! I know I can set up sizes and colors with modifiers, but that doesn't allow me to track inventory. Help!

Super Seller Alumni

So the best way I have done this is to have each color a group and list all the sizes as the variation.  So and t-shirt that comes in 4 colors will be four items with the size variations.

Other wise it is too confusing and if you sell online they will not see all the colors the shirt comes in.

Beta Member

Please make modifier inventory and selection of multiple items on the same screen a priority. 

There are several problems with the existing conditions that need improvement as time and reporting are key elements to the of a small business.  

A) Problem: Modifiers must be able to track inventory. example: Category is beer, people order 2- 10 beers at one time.  We cannot go back and forth between screens every time we select a different beer.  As it is now, we cannot track inventory because we have to use the modifier option for the sake of time, also cannot assign SKU's.  Result: Great deal of wasted time, limited reporting and inability to organize products together.

B) Problem: only can select 1 item at a time.  Suggestion: With the option to select multiple items at one time we need to also allow the option to change the quantity of each item when selected - not multiplying the entire selection set by quantity as it is now, with modifiers.  Result: Great deal of wasted time.   

C) Allow the option to track Modifier inventory - this is just as important as an item inventory, sometimes more.  Having a SKU for these also helps tremendously. 

D) Problem: Cannot sell grouped items: we often will sell a beer and a pint glass at a discounted rate which is less than buying them individually.  If we could create a grouped item and it would deduct from inventory that would be ideal.  Result: Having to select each item and then apply a discount (which requires every employee to fully understand) presents opportunity for errors and mistakes.  

• Inventory management needs to work for all items/modifiers it is 
  • Selection of multiple items on the same screen would help a great deal. 
  • Modifier SKU's and inventory would resolve a TON of issues.   

Super Seller Alumni

Sounds like you need to be using item variations instead of modifiers.  If you set up a Beer item and then have the brands or flavors as item variations you will be able to see them all and track inventory.  You will still only be able to select one item at a time. So it will take three clicks for one item.  

I am not sure how many items you have but you could also set up your most popular items separate and place them on the grid,  You can have multiple tabs.  This will allow a single click to add an item.  Adding quantity is as easy as pushing the button again.

For Group items, the best way is to select the two items and then select a discount for it.

I know this isn't perfect but I think it would be better suited for you than modifiers.

I'm just now reading this thread as I have the same questions regarding the modifier be part of the inventory management. Seems like that's not possible. I'd love to know when this functionality will be available. I'm selling different style rings and I'm using the modifier for the different sizes I offer. I need the sizes to be tracked in my inventory. For example, I need to know how many size 6s are in left in stock in specific style ring. Right now, I would only know how many of the specific style is left in stock, but I don't know which sizes. Please let me know if there are any work arounds without listing it out as a variation of an item.

Thanks,

NB

Admin

Hello @thenope! At this time item modifiers aren't tracked as inventory, you can only track inventory from item/item variation sales. I'll share your request to be able to track modifier stick with the Inventory team.

Thanks also for letting us know how you would use this. We're always looking for ways to improve Square based on feedback from sellers!