x

Barcode scanner not working + Card Reader not pairing with iPad 2

After having updated to the latest square version (4.81) as of 2/21/18; my barcode scanner no longer works and neither is my card reader. I am  having to manually enter in all the credit card information, and thus pay an additional fee. Do you guys have any suggestions or fixes? Thank you.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Alumni

Hi @ryan_g - Sorry you're having these issues! What device are you using and have you checked to see if there are additional updates available? Hopefully, we can troubleshoot some solutions for you. 

Message 2 of 13

Hi Katie,

Thanks for the reply. I am using an iPad 2, 64GB model A1396 in conjunction with the Square Stand model S015; hardware version 1.0.6.

Everything is updated to the current version.

Message 3 of 13

Actually just fixed it; took the iPad out of the Square stand and restarted it. Problems went away. Thanks anyway!

Message 4 of 13
Alumni

Glad to hear this got resolved @ryan_g! Let us know if anything else comes up. ๐Ÿ‘

Message 5 of 13

Ok @katieand turns out that only fixed it for about 5 minutes. Straight back to what it was doing before. Basically square stand keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. This happened before a couple months ago after a different update as well. Please fix ASAP!

Message 6 of 13
Admin

Sorry to hear this keeps popping up, @ryan_g. That sounds strange. ๐Ÿ˜•

Out of curiosity, what version of iOS are you running? There was a known issue with iOS 11 a while back that has since been resolved. More information and troubleshooting is available here: Square Stand and iOS 11 Connectivity Problems.

If that doesn't clear things up, you may want to touch base with our CS Team for a deeper dive. Otherwise, feel free to reply here with any other details and we'll continue to troubleshoot.

๏œ๏ธ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 7 of 13

@Tom The iPad2 can't be upgraded past iOS 9; so the version we are on is 9.3.5 and is the most up-to-date for this device.

Message 8 of 13
Admin

I apologize for overlooking that, @ryan_g. We are committed to supporting the iPad 2 for as long as possible. Looking at the connection point in the cradle of Stand that holds the iPad itself, can you tell if there is any possible sign of fatigue that may be preventing full contact? For example, if the 30-pin connector isn't parallel or if it is loose, it may cause intermittent connection issues as pressure is applied during use.

In addition, you may want to check for debris and try plugging in your chip reader & barcode scanner into different slots on the USB hub to see if that improves the connection issues.

Hope this helps. If troubleshooting the hardware itself doesn't resolve this, please let me know and I'll open a case for you with our CS Team so that they can take a closer look in realtime.

๏œ๏ธ Tom | he/him
Message 9 of 13

@Tom Thanks for the reply.

I would be inclined to think it was hardware over software if:

a) This hadn't happened before with a previous update

b) It hadn't happened immediately after the latest update was released

c) That it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting every few seconds without being touched; if it was hardware the connection would be completely absent

Yes please open a case! Thank you!

Message 10 of 13

@Tom Ok, not sure if you guys somehow did something already or not, but I happened to have a chip reader you guys had sent me, I plugged it in and it started doing an update and now everything is up and running again.

Message 11 of 13

@Tom Ok, not sure if you guys somehow did something already or not, but I happened to have a chip reader you guys had sent me, I plugged it in and it started doing an update and now everything is up and running again.

Message 12 of 13
Admin

Glad to hear it, @ryan_g.๐Ÿ™‚ That sounds like a firmware update for the Contactless and Chip Readerโ€”firmware updates are automatically installed as necessary once the reader has been connected. It sounds like we're out of the woods, but let us know if anything else comes up!

๏œ๏ธ Tom | he/him
Message 13 of 13