x

Delivery Method - Checkout - Drop-Down Link not obvious

We are testing a new store that we have built for our dog club.   

The first item we are selling are t-shirts and we are giving two options for the delivery method, where the customer can pick up the order, or we will ship the order. 

In the checkout step, the link to expose the delivery method is not obvious. We are testing our store with a variety of our club members, with varying computer skill levels, and all have said this piece was not obvious to them when they checked out, despite our Manual directions we sent them with step by step screen shots.

This would have been better if they were option buttons where both showed, versus a drop-down list.  

Do you have any suggestions or options on how we could make this easier and more obvious for our customers? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Same comment/complaint here. We even have digital delivery options, but because the delivery methods are not obvious, customers are being charged shipping for digital orders. This has been an issue since the big Square Marketplace update about 2 years ago.

Please PLEASE prompt or force customers to choose the most appropriate delivery method!

Message 2 of 6
Admin

Hello @dsasam and @epochpro, thank you for flagging this! I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and sorry to hear about the confusion this has caused.

I went to look into a way to simplify this within the Online Store itself, but there isn't a way to modify the display of the drop-down menu when multiple shipping methods are selected at this time.

Rest assured that I'll be sharing your posts with our Online Store team and point out that the current layout can lead to the incorrect amount being charged to the customer. You may also want to have a look at some of our Online Store partners, who may be able to offer custom options: Launching an online store? You’ve got options with Square!

Hope this helps for now. Please do keep in touch for updates, and let us know if anything else comes up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 3 of 6

This post was merged over from a thread titled: Prompt for delivery method.

I am hoping that maybe some progress has been made on this issue since I've been inquiring for over a year, but when customers are shopping in our online Square Marketplace store, the default method is Shipping. While there are obviously choices like Pick Up and digital, Shipping is default with no obvious way for us to change the default method (we'd prefer the default to be Pick Up).

Further, customers are not prompted to make a choice or ensure that it is correct. Most online shoppers assume they'll have this choice on their final checkout screen (which they don't in Square Marketplace).

For us, this means a number of customers upset that they are being charged shipping for orders that they would prefer to pick up. Even worse, we offer a Digital option, which obviously is . . . . digital. Since customers are not prompted or forced to check/select the proper method for delivery, customers are being charged shipping for digital orders . . . . not good.

This is creating more work on our end in tracking and having to refund "mistaken" shipping charges.

Can you please PLEASE provide us more control over delivery methods in the online store? OR prompt/force customers to choose the most appropriate delivery method?

Message 4 of 6

I am struggling with this myself. The only refunds I make are because the cart always defaults to shipping. It is becoming a huge inconvience to constantly refund shipping to clients because each item defaults to delivery.  Can something be done to make this more aparrent?

Message 5 of 6
Admin

Hey @Bloomingskin, thanks for taking the time to surface your experience with this—really sorry to hear that this issue is causing confusion for your customers as well. I went to look for updates on the display, but there isn't anything that I can access and share out right now.

We will announce any developments as they come through. In the meantime, I would suggest having a look at some of our partners from Sean's post mentioned above.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 6