x

Feature Request: Ability to take a deposit - currently using discounts

Feature Request: Ability to take a deposit - currently using discounts

The title of this thread has been edited
from the original: Re: Discount % applied to tax! Tax should be calculated on actual product total and not discounted!

Is there a way that Square will update this Discount issue?  We run tattoo parlor which we do not add sales tax to our services, just our sales items.  However, when we subtract the client's down payment deposit (which we created with Discount) it subtracts the tax added to the sales item.  We need the receipt to show that we took off the clients deposit and not manually enter it.  Please make a disount appliable after taxes.

0 Likes
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Ability to take a deposit - currently using discounts

Hi everyone - we noticed that this group was requesting the ability to apply discounts post-tax specifically because discounts were being used as a workaround for taking a deposit. We wanted to update this group, in case some of you haven't heard that you can request a deposit for a portion of an invoice using Square Invoices!

You shouldn't need to use discounts in order to subtract an amount paid towards a total, as you can instead send an invoice requesting a deposit payment. When your customer receives the invoice you send over, they can pay the deposit first, and the remaining balance can be paid at a later date.

20 Comments

@Helen It has been a few months since the last update to this thread.  I was just wondering if there has been any new progress or updates regarding Squares ability create an option to calculate taxes before or after a discount is applied?  The product team did a great job with the similar issue adding the ability to calculate tips before or after taxes.  I'm aware that these are still very different concepts and I'm sure its not an easy fix.  Again, just checking the status of this update.  Thanks!

Admin

Thanks for checking in @LuckyBird! No updates are available at this time, I'm sorry about that!

As soon as we have more information in future we'll post in this thread. That way everyone who has shared their interest as a post, and anyone who subscribed to the thread will be notified.

Thank you @Helen!  I appreciate you letting me know.

Echoing that we would also like the ability to add discounts post-tax, as not being able to is a significant loss of income for a small business.  I am not able to use most of the workarounds here, as we do not use registers, but do our business by invoices.

I know for us, the ability to add a discount after tax would be great for this:

We require a deposit for orders over $100. When it comes time to invoice, we can't (obviously) charge the full amount, since a deposit was made. The only way I can see to reflect the deposit is with a line item discount. Since tax is calculated afterwards, it's only taxing the discounted amount. Since the customer is still technically paying the full amount in the eyes of the state, we'd be on the hook for the rest of the tax amount, which can start to add up. Hope this makes sense!

Square Community Moderator

Thanks for going into detail around your specific business needs for this @Chaos_Cupcakes

It will be a big help for our Discounts team understanding how this would impact sellers across multiple businesses. There's nothing new to report on this at the moment, but if anything changes we'll chime back in. 

Super Seller Alumni

I require deposits as well.  The easy way to get around this (until they implement the current beta) is to figure your deposit off of the subtotal.  Everything works out doing it this way.  Just make sure you are charging tax on your deposit...if you are ok with doing that.  I haven't had any customers complain about it.  

Yes! Finally someone gets it, lol. This is the BIGGEST drawback for us, and I grow closer and closer to leaving Square solely because of this. I want to collect a deposit off the entire total after taxes, and after the deposit is made, I have to create a duplicate invoice. The second I add a discount line item to show the customer's deposit has been paid, the full remaining balance due is completely messed up because Square won't let us control how and when taxes are applied. They graciously allow us to controll which Items we can apply taxes to, but they also create many extra hoops to jump through and wasted time instead of giving us a simple tax toggle option.

We also need the option of a discount after taxes. We are a Bed and Breakfast and RV campground and we require a one night stay deposit when booked. This counts toward their stay when they arrive and so if we can’t tax this item we will be out the 10.5% tax. That really adds up quickly. This issue has been open for quite a long time. Is there an estimate of the time this will take? 

I wanted to check in to see if there is any progress on a post tax discount option?  Its been a few years now and our only option that seems to work is to run two separate tranasctions which adds up in credit card transaction fees.  Please let us know, thanks!