x

Sales tax is being taken out of Gift Card sales.

My Deposits from December 17th and 18th show gift card sales with tax taken out. For example, a $40 gift card sold is showing up as $36.96 on the Gift Card Sales line in my Deposit Report. This doesn't seem right. I am paying sales tax for the sale of the card, and then I'll pay sales tax on the item they purchase with the card. 

Did something change in Square? Is this a bug? I don't see any way of enabling or disabling sales tax on Gift Cards specifically, so I don't think this is a setting that changed in my account. It wasn't this way on December 16th, or the 19th, and it happened again on December 20th.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

I see there's a discount on there "Five Stars - Enter Amount ..... $5.75"

I think that's what's doing it. A dollar amount discount splits itself up proportionally and applies to each item.
I believe $3.03 of that is being applied to the $20 of the Gift Card, and the othere $2.72 is being applied to the other items.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller Alumni

Are you sure it's taxes and not Square Fees or a Discount that was applied to the purchase of the Gift Card?

Pesso

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 2 of 8

It's 8.25%. Definitely not a discount. It's very odd. 

Square fees are not reflected in the Gift Card Sales line. It shows amount activated, or does normally. 

Message 3 of 8
Super Seller Alumni

Hmm, strange - can you find the Transaction in your Sales History and post a screenshot of it?
It should show you there what's going on.

A tax should be added on top of the $40, not subtracted out from it.

Unless you have "Tax Included in Price" enabled, and it's somehow applying to Gift Cards.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 4 of 8

In this one, it actually looks like it's more than sales tax. But the amount reflected in the deposit report is definitely not the amount in the sales receipt. 

Dec 17th Transaction.png

Dec 17th Deposit.png

Message 5 of 8
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

I see there's a discount on there "Five Stars - Enter Amount ..... $5.75"

I think that's what's doing it. A dollar amount discount splits itself up proportionally and applies to each item.
I believe $3.03 of that is being applied to the $20 of the Gift Card, and the othere $2.72 is being applied to the other items.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 6 of 8

Here's another one. I see a common factor. Both days have gift cards that were part of a sale that had a discount. I guess square is applying the discount proportionately across all items in the sales receipt? The amount in this one made me think it was Sales Tax related because it happens to be a difference of exactly 8.25%

Dec 18th deposit.pngDec18th transaction 2.pngDec18th transaction 1.png

Message 7 of 8
Super Seller Alumni

Sweet, glad we figured that out for you!

And glad you've been selling a good amount of Gift Cards too!!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 8 of 8