x

Feature Request: Option to Create Invoice with Zero Balance

Feature Request: Option to Create Invoice with Zero Balance

Because I use square to track my inventory, I need to be able to create an invoice that has a zero balance (for a few reasons).  First, if I am donating product, I need to track that through square. I also want a hard copy record of this donations.  Secondly, if I do a product trade with someone, I want to indicate that on my invoice (again to track my inventory). When I have done this, square tells me that inovices need to be at least $1.  WHY???

66 Comments

"Looking at net sales doesn't adjust inventory when items are gifted or donated."

Why would it not? You ring up the purchase as normal, but just give a 100% discount with a note re: gift, etc. Whenever I do this, my inventory is adjusted by the system just as expected.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do?

A zero $ balance invoice can only be saved as a draft. A draft does not adjust inventory for a gifted item. Square invoice balance must be between $1 and $50,000 or it will not generate)

All square needs to do to fix this, is remove the $1 minimum requirement from it's webform,  which is all the invoice is. 

A zero $ balance invoice can only be saved as a draft. A draft does not adjust inventory for a gifted item. Square invoice balance must be between $1 and $50,000 or it will not generate.

All square needs to do to fix this, is remove the $1 minimum requirement from it's webform,  which is all the invoice is. 

@RHatch any update on the zero invoice creation ability?

Any update on zero dollar invoice possibility?  I need to be able to use invoice to track and send samples and freebies.  PLEASE update!!!

I am in the exact same boat and would LOVE Square if the feature existed to allow us to create $0.00 invoices.  The entire reason I switched from Pay Pal to Square was for the purpose of tracking inventory.  And like many of you have said, there are several instances in my business where I need to track stock that was removed either for "personal use" or for being given as a "gift," etc.  I need to be able to CREATE the invoice with a $0.00 balance so that it removes the product from my inventory.  Otherwise, there's no real reason for me to transition from using Pay Pal to Square.

Please advise!

Leanna 🙂

I figured out that you can accomplish the same thing with a zero dollar sale (not invoice) but I do agree - a zero dollar invoice would be more helpful when sending free gifts to customers etc.   

If you ring up a sale - create a 100% discount item.  Then you add that to the sale making the entire sale zero dollars.  Then "pay" with $0 cash and it will subtract the items from your inventory.

I desperately need this to be changed, too. I don't understand what the problem is. Just change the webform.  It's a simple coding adjustment. And why is it $1? Are we not allowed to have $0.75 items? What gives?

Square Community Moderator

We appreciate your feedback here, @pauliefelice. While I don't have the exact reasoning for the delay in bringing this feature to fruition, I will continue to advocate for this to our Product Managers. 

We will jump back here with any updates as we go along. Thanks so much for your continued patience. 

I am also trying to create an invoice with a zero balance for the reasons noted above. First, I use my product and want to keep track of my personal use so that it subtracted from inventory but a receipt is created for tax purposes. Two, I gift my product without an accompanying purchase for birthdays or other special occasions. I tried the work arounds suggested but they do not allow you to create the invoice. 

This is annoying and needs to be fixed. Zero invoices are too common for many reasons and should be something easy for Square to address. From the thread, it looks like it has been a complaint since 2017. Do you have customer service? If so, prove it.