x

I get "Please verify the Zip Code" when I try to enter Card on File for Canadian customers

I am new to Square. I am in the US and am wanting to use Square to process 3 recurring credit card transactions per month (total $4,000). I have signed agreements from each customer. When I try to add the card to their customer records, I get "Please verify the Zip Code" on every account. I know the zip codes are good because they are the same cards I was processing at PaySimple for the past 3 years. What other factor(s) could be blocking me? --- Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Alumni

Hi @seanclouse - This definitely sounds weird! I know some people have got around the zip code issue by entering "00000." Can you try that and let us know if that works? 

Message 2 of 14

I never got this to work.  The solution, for anyone else who encounters this, was to send an Invoice to the customer with the option for them to allow us to store the Card Info.  They were able to enter the same information and get it to work.  Once the invoice was paid, I made a duplicate using that invoice and created a recurring invoice using that Card as the payment method.  I *think* all is good.  I'll know more on June 2nd...

Message 3 of 14
Admin

Hey @seanclouse, thanks for circling back and sorry to hear that you're still encountering trouble with this invoice.

I went to take another look at this and I can see that you were able to get in touch with our Customer Success Team. I can't access and share payment-specifics here—but if anything else comes up in terms of processing or depositing, please let the team member assisting with your case know. They'll be able to take a deeper dive into specifics and escalate internally if needed. Hope everything got cleared up!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 14

i get same error code to the point if i cant get it fixed i will drop square which is sad my family has used it for 7 years my father then me. if anyone truly knows how to fix please explain these were all usa customers same clients for years.

Message 5 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hi @retail

Unfortunately there's not much we can do for you here in the Seller Community when it comes to payment or account specific issues since it's a public forum. 

The best course of action is to have your customer double check the zip code they're providing to you with their card issuing bank, or get in contact with our CS Team directly so they can look at the payment details with you. 

I'm sure they'll get things resolved for you as soon as you reach out. 

Message 6 of 14

Why is a system bug that doesn't accept Zip Codes an 'account specific issue' (when the same zip code works when the customer enters it)?  This appears to be a general bug that needs addressed at the code level but seems to be ignored by Square as I have seen many people complain about this for years...

Message 7 of 14

Hi @seanclouse

Manually entered payments, including invoices and Virtual Terminal payments, are working as normal, so everything is up and running on our end. 

There are a lot of variables when it comes to these types of payments, and while you might've been able to run the same card information through another processor, Square requires every piece of card information to be 100% accurate. 

The best option would be to have your customer contact their bank to double check the information being provided, and if you still have issues with this, contact our CS Team directly so they can look at the payment details with you. 

Message 8 of 14

You're missing my point... If *I* enter the card information, through the Add Card interface, it doesn't work.  If the customer enters the exact same card information thorugh the Invoice function, it does work.  So there is a bug in the code. (Note: I'm a web business system software developer, so I speak out of a position of knowledge...). 

I only have to do this once per customers so it's not a huge deal to me but I'm sure others are very frustrated...

Message 9 of 14

Thanks for clarifying @seanclouse and sorry for my misunderstanding. 

I just tested this on my end as well, and I'm able to add a card to a customer profile with the Add Card feature for Card on File successfully. 

Was this happening with all of your customers? Were you able to test this using your own card? 

There could be a different issue happening, but we would have to walk through this with you to see your exact steps to find out what might be the cause of the error you're getting if it's not an incorrect zip code. 

Message 10 of 14

Thank you.  The system doesn't let me see the full card information that is stored so I can't 'prove' it.  If you provide me a private email, I can send you the information my customer provided and you can compare it to what is on file (the card info they entered).  That would definitely shed light on the situation.  Without your help looking at the backend, I don't have enough visibility to prove my case.

Message 11 of 14

I see how it could be hard to provide examples of this occurrence given that the full card information isn't visible. 

Give us a call when you get a chance. 

Hopefully our CS Team can walk through it with you on the phone and escalate this up to our Engineering team to take a look for you. 

Message 12 of 14

What number should I call?  Can you give me the number of a specific person that can access this thread and be familiar vs me calling cold and starting from scratch?  

Message 13 of 14

@seanclouse I'll escalate this over to our CS team directly so they're caught up to speed. Keep an eye out for them as they should be reaching out to you directly. 

Message 14 of 14