x

Is there a way to set up automatic discounts, such as for happy hours?

Is there a way to set up automatic discounts such as for happy hours that will be applied automatically during a set time frame or under any other conditions? Thanks.

Message 1 of 145
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Update: Automatic Disounts are now available for Square Point of Sale! 🎉  

So if you want to set up a happy hour or if you need to create a limited-time discount pop over to this Product Update post for details: Automatic Discounts for Square Point of Sale app or visit the Support Center for step-by-step instructions to create automatic discounts.

You can also schedule happy hours with the Square for Restaurants app. 🎉  

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 141 of 145
144 REPLIES 144
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for chiming in on this @VanKalkerFarms

@firesidemartini Unfortunately it's not something available at the moment, but we're working on this currently! 

I've moved your post over to this existing thread, as our PM for Discounts is active on this thread and is using all of the feedback provided by sellers to make this future build as helpful as possible. 

Keep an eye out for updates! 

Message 106 of 145
Beta Member

This is absurd. I've paid over 5k for these POS systems and I can't even implement a basic happy hour feature such as this for my restaurant. What's really frustrating is that Square has failed to act on this for over two years when in reality it would take a competent software engineer an afternoon to fix.

Message 107 of 145

Its pretty obvious why they are choosing not to do it. 

1. The happy hour feature is available on the paid square app, so they want to re-direct everyone there. 

2. They definitely don't want to help encourage lower pricing to reduce their fees collected. 

3. Square probably has to pay a higher fee on checks below $5. So happy hour pricing at coffee shops, etc. would further hurt their revenues. 

Message 108 of 145
Alumni

Hi @r0ckets11 and @themissinglink - I'm a Product Manager for Discounts. I'm not sure where you're seeing the Happy Hour feature in a paid Square app - can you share a link? Sounds like something may be unclear in our messaging, so I hope I can help.

Automatic Discounts coming soon to our free Square Point of Sale app and we will include features to apply recurring discounts like Happy Hours. Though a discount may decrease a transaction amount and Square's fees, we recognize discounts are an important part of pricing strategy for a lot of businesses. If Square can provide you valuable tools like a point of sale system and discounts features, we hope you'll partner with us and it will benefit us both in the long run. 

Edit: fixed spelling

Message 109 of 145
Beta Member

@elaine_p Just checking in to see what date you plan on releasing this?  I'm EAGER to get this added and setup on my system.  Any update you can provide would be appreciated.

Message 110 of 145
Alumni

Hey @Bar901 - Currently, we are unable to share timelines of products or features in development, but we will make sure to post updates here as we hear of them. Thank you for your patience!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 111 of 145
Beta Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but the update that rolled out today allows for time based discounts?!!!  What are the instructions on how to do that?  Woo hoo BTW

Message 112 of 145
Alumni

@Bar901 We're in beta and will begin rollout to everyone soon! I've got a FAQ that may be helpful. 

The short version is that as a part of the beta program, discounts can be set up in Dashboard. They will apply based on your rules in Square Point of Sale in the latest beta apps and 5.4 iOS Square Point of Sale and Square Register; 5.2 for Android. 

Message 113 of 145
Beta Member

How do I get the beta on my Square POS? I have logged in to my online dashboard and tried to create the discounts but do no have the features discussed.

Message 114 of 145
Alumni

You can let me know if you want to join the beta, and I can get you set up. We're also not too far away from making it available in Square Point of Sale, Square Register, and Square Terminal.

Message 115 of 145

I saw that this feature was in an update posted today. I updated my app but still can't find how to set the discounts. Do you have any directions on it?

Message 116 of 145
Beta Member

Click on items then click on discounts then create a discount and you will see it in there.  

Message 117 of 145

Are we talking about the new timed discounts for happy hours feature? Because I tried that already and don't see any kind of option for creating a time.

Message 118 of 145
Alumni

@JahvaRob - I turned on the feature flag for you so that you will see it in the Dashboard create discounts screen - it's only rolled out to a small percentage. Note - you will need the latest app (5.4) for them to apply in your point of sale. 

Message 119 of 145

Great! Just checked it out, scheduled a New Item special and it's working great. Thank you.

Message 120 of 145

Hi @elaine_p please turn this also on for our 2 locations!

Thanks!

Message 121 of 145
Beta Member

I’m not an admin but the app rollout today enabled HH pricing in full non beta mode. 

Message 122 of 145
Beta Member

I am still not seeing anything.  I'm looking in dashboard-items-discounts, create new, and there's nothing different. 

Message 123 of 145
Alumni

@Bluebirdpizza We're rolling it out slowly! I'll send you details.

Message 124 of 145

Hi! Anyway to know when the happy hour function will be available to everybody?

Message 125 of 145
Alumni

We're rolling it out slowly and will send out an email notification and post in the community when it's widely available. 

Message 126 of 145