x

Why no indication of discount on individual items on receipt?

When I apply a discount to a single line item within a transaction, why does the discount not show immediately beneath the item on the receipt?  Instead, the discount is only reflective at the bottom of the receipt right above the Subtotal and it does not indicate which item received the discount or how much the discount was (i.e. 50% off, 10% off, etc); VERY FRUSTRATING.

When I increase a single line item to include multiples (for example "Lavendar Bar Soap" Qty 3) under the single line item will reflect the single retail price; i.e. Bar Soap x 3 $27.75 and beneath the line item will have ($9.25 each).

Am I missing a setting for the line item discount feature? Did I enter something incorrectly?

Or is this a missing feature within the Square system?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Admin

Hi @PennyC, welcome to the seller community and thanks for flagging this.

I see what you mean. A fixed percentage item level discount isn't paired with the item on the receipt, nor does the discount section give a breakdown of what the set percentage was.

Currently, there isn't a way to adjust how discounts display on receipts. I can certainly see how the current arrangement would cause confusion so I'll be sharing your experience with our Product Liaison team. In the meantime, if you add a fixed percentage discount to an item, rest assured that it's still applied to that item even though the receipt shows the discount in a separate section.

We're constantly working to make improvements based on seller feedback, and please don't hesitate to reply with any other questions!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 15
Super Seller

It is very confusing for customers when different discounts are all lumped into one amount on the receipt. They should be listed out with the item or at least separated at the bottom of the receipt.

Message 3 of 15

So True! This is a very common request and I can't beleive they do not have it in the programming. Any one now a better system where this can be done?

Message 4 of 15

What's the ETA on this fix? Huge oversight for a product as popular and as good as Square.  Please advise, we may switch POS systems soon because of this

Message 5 of 15
Square Community Moderator

Sorry for the delay here @Merakimoon

Unfortunately there's nothing new for us to share in regards to this. 

I'll make sure that our Product Team knows that this is something you'd also like to see implemented in the future. 

If anything new comes up, we'll let everyone know!

Message 6 of 15

Hi! I am just wondering if anything has come about with this post? We are running into that same issue when someone returns an item its hard to know what they actually paid for the item etc. without manually writing on the receipt.

Message 7 of 15

Have you updated the app recently? They added itemized returns and it works really well now!

Message 8 of 15
Beta Member

Discount being shown on individual items on the receipt would be so helpful and reduce my customer complains significantly. Really hoping to see this basic and necessary feature added soon. This is the single reason I'm shopping for an alternative system.  

Message 9 of 15
Beta Member

Because of this issue we stopped using Square about a year ago; and switched to a different point of sale system. 

Has there been improvements with receipts since I’ve been gone?

Message 10 of 15
Beta Member

Who did you switch to? Ive been called a liar, lost 1000s in business, and had my reputation tarnished all because square refuses to show the discount under each item. They have almost destroyed my business. Ive complained for months and they just dont care! Obviously square doesnt understand retail at all! I process over 200k a year through square. Im out and just need to find someone who will print receipts correctly and allow for discounts! This is retail 101 square.. Wow!!!

Message 11 of 15

What system did you switch to? I am wrestling with complains and confusion and it seems this thread is 4 years old

Message 12 of 15

No. So, what POS system did you switch to? We're wanting to do the same. This issue is causing serious distress -- lack of trust in what we charged per item. UGH

Message 13 of 15

I’ve only been using Square for about a year now and one issue is causing me to lose sleep because customers are questioning our charges (trying to build a solid retail reputation when customers are constantly calling about their charges is very difficult!)

WHY DO THE LINE ITEM DISCOUNTS NOT APPEAR ALONG WITH THE ITEM ON THE PRINTED RECEIPTS?  

I’ve read through similar threads (and this one will probably get ‘merged’ and get dumped to the bottom again.)

WHAT IS SO HARD ABOUT REFLECTING EACH DISCOUNT WITH THE RESPECTIVE LINE ITEM...AS OPPOSED TO LUMPING THEM AT THE BOTTOM? IT MAKES OUR PRACTICES LOOK SHADY AND IT IS CAUSING MAJOR ISSUES,,,

Message 14 of 15

See what Square did there? Dumped my new thread into the bottom of an old thread. PLEASE someone over there needs to do something on this!

Message 15 of 15