x

Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

I give my staff a discount on products but I do not want to allow a discount on travel size items.  Is there a way to mark them so they can not be discounted?

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: How do I restrict all discounts on purchases of alcohol?

It sounds like you would like the ability to restrict specific items from discounts, @burrito 🌯 
While this is not currently possible, you are able to select the categories and items that discounts apply to.

1. I would first recommend creating a category from your Dashboard to house all of your alcoholic beverages in.

2. Next, you'll create or edit a discount via your Discounts page.
    While here, toggle ON the Discount rules option in the Automatic discount section:

3. You'll want to select the Item or category option in the pop-up that appears here:

4. Next, you can select all categories that you would like the discount to apply to.
    Be sure not to select the category you created for your alcoholic beverages!

Please let us know if this isn't quite what you were looking to do, and we can dig in a bit more 

Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

Hi @salon208 — welcome to the seller community! ✌🏻

Thanks for surfacing this. Currently, we don't offer the option to restrict discounts on specific items, though I can see how this feature would be helpful for many businesses like yours.

I'll be sharing your suggestion with our Product Liaison team, who is constantly working to improve our products based on seller feedback. We'll certainly circle back with any other developments that may be useful.

Please keep in touch for updates and if you have any other questions, let us know!

189 Comments

We are also looking for this ability. When we have reservations, we offer a discount on food but not alcohol. Going through large tickets to apply the discount to just food items is tedious and time-consuming. I'd love to be able to go into the dashboard and restrict our alcohol items from receiving the discount we apply to a whole ticket.

We would like this as well. We are a bowling center that allows our staff or other industry folks to receive discounts on drinks, but not on bowling. As discounts seem to only be available to do for the entire tab (which is another design flaw, I might add) we are having difficulty when drinks and bowling are on the same tab.

It seems that this thread has been in motion for the better part of three years, so at this point Square must have come up with something. Please advise.

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Feature Request: Automatically exclude Specific Items from Discounts

Under the settings for an item there should be an option to exclude that item from discounts, just like we already have the option to exclude specific items from taxes. For example, I have an item called "Shipping" in my item library, but when I apply a discount to an order, I don't want that discount to apply to Shipping.

Super Seller

Something that would be of great use.  Just add a button on the item that says discounts don't apply to this item!  Or make it so we can exclude certain categories from discounts

For example: In our bakery/produce business the employees get 30% discount on most items.  However, the price we are able to charge for milk would put us at a loss.  It would be nice to be able to exclude this item from the employee discount (or any discounts).

Hello, I'm also interested in this. If we have an employee discount, we only want to allow discounts on regular priced items, not in additional to sale items. What's the update on this? It seems this question started in 2016 and have not seen a resolution to this.

Thank you

Square Community Moderator

Hi, @TiffanyNR while we haven't released this feature specifically, you can enforce the employee discount to require a passcode so a manager would have to approve it before it went through.

Hello @AshleyK ,

Is there an option like this for Square Online? If there is a discount available for our employees only and if there is an option for manager approval for certain items.

@TiffanyNR Yep! You can set up the discount on your Weebly Dashboard!

@AshleyK I made my employee discount available at Online Store by toggling to on (also have the require a passcode on). Entered a promo code to be used, and upon testing on our live site, it says "coupon not found".

Are there certain parameters that I need to follow to have this work?

@TiffanyNR thank you so much for posting that. It turns out the promo codes within the Square Dashboard is only for the old Square Online Store which is not available to most sellers anymore. You can still do this, but you will need to set it up on the Weebly Dashboard instead through Online Store > Coupons

I'm really sorry about that confusion and will be sure to update my post above to make sure any new readers don't have the same experience!

If you need some more details for setting up coupons (or employee discounts in this example) with Weebly, check out this help article as well.