x

GDPR Privacy Policy Generator

So I discovered there is a policy generator for weebly located here https://www.weebly.com/tools/privacy-policy

Weebly has also said they developed a policy generator that covers GDPR complaince https://hc.weebly.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000977487-GDPR-What-Weebly-is-Doing

However in their policy generator terms https://www.weebly.com/tools/privacy-policy/terms they specify that it is not GDPR complaint! It says so right at the bottom of their terms....

So what is going on? Is there another GDPR complaint policy generator or is Weebly going to update the current one? Or is nothing going to be done until the very last minute?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Square

Message 10 of 9

So how come Weebly issued what I consider a gravely misleading statement yesterday in emails to its account customers

We’ll be providing you with an updated cookie banner to display on your website and have added a privacy policy generator that you can utilize as part of your process to become GDPR compliant. 

I clicked that link and it is PRECISELY THE SAME AS BEFORE i.e. the one that very clearly states

"In addition, the Weebly Privacy Policy template does not address any obligations you may have under any non-U.S. laws, including without limitation, the EU General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation 2016/679)."

Weebly seems to me to be very much out of its depth here. If other website hosts can provide decent help and support on the GDPR topic how come Weebly is so far behind and is issuing GROSSLY MISLEADING STATEMENTS TO ITS CUSTOMERS.

Aren't there laws about NOT behaving like this?

Moreover, it trikes me that Weebly has still not grasped that:
1) GDPR applies to EVERY website that has a European visitor (including all those with American owners)
2) Weebly is subject to fines if it fails to comply

So is Weebly taking the perspective that it is trying to comply by covering its own back - but hanging its client customers out to dry?  Saying totally down to you folks. We control all the code but you have to do whatever to make yourselves compliant - and we're not going to help - even if we try and make it look as if we are?  Because that is what it looks like from where I am sitting - in London.

I cannot think of a faster way of losing a client base................

THERE ARE SEVEN DAYS LEFT UNTIL EVERY WEBSITE WITH EUROPEAN VISITORS HAS TO BE COMPLIANT

Message 10 of 9
Square

Hello. I 100% understand your concern. I wish I had more information I could give you to set your mind at ease. Smiley Sad I do see that you have a ticket escalated to the policy team, though. A rep from the team will in contact as quickly as possible.

The privacy policy is meant to be a tool to use in conjunction with legal advice. If you haven't referenced this article you will find some more tips on what you need to do to prepare: https://hc.weebly.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000976907-Your-Responsibilities-Under-GDPR-Tips-to-Help-Y...

Regarding the editor and the elements used to create your website, yes, those will be compliant. The banner will be on all sites and you will no longer have the option to remove it from the Settings tab. The contact forms will include check boxes and there will also be a checkbox on the checkout screen. These are universal changes we are making for the editor and not just those accounts located in the EU. 

Message 10 of 9

You haven't addressed the LIE INCLUDED IN THE EMAIL TO ACCOUNT HOLDERS.

"We’ll be providing you with an updated cookie banner to display on your website and have added a privacy policy generator that you can utilize as part of your process to become GDPR compliant."

Weebly advertised its Privacy Policy Generator in its recent email when the terms and conditions of that Generator make absolutely EXPLICIT THAT IT IS NOT GDPR COMPLIANT!!! (Hence incompetent for the purposes of all those with visitors who live in Europe)
http://www.weebly.com/tools/privacy-policy/terms

Shame on you Weebly! 

FIVE DAYS TO GO and you have still not complied with GDPR policies and processes - and moreover are grossly misleading your customers with that recent email!!!

Message 10 of 9
Square

A privacy policy is just one part of being compliant with GDPR. Depending on your own particular site, the content you add to it, and what you do with that content, you might need to make additional changes or additions to it to meet the requirements of GDPR. For this reason we can't explicitly say that the tool will make a policy that will cover what anyone who uses it needs.

It will, however, do a lot of the work for you and your GDPR advisor would be able to tell you if it's totally fine as-is or if you need to do anything else with it. The last thing we at Weebly would want is to tell someone they are in the clear and to find out later that they aren't.

Message 10 of 9

I've been using Privacy Policies for years and don't need an education in what they do and don't do.

I focused in my previous post specifically on the LIE Weebly told its account owners when it did EXACTLY what you (i.e. Adam) say it shouldn't do!

TWO DAYS TO GO - and we are still waiting on an appropriate response from Weebly in relation to its GDPR obligations to all its account holders who have accounts and their own obligations re. GDPR.

It's a bit of a mess isn't it?

Message 10 of 9

Hi, @Bernadette,

I've been trying to figure out cookie notification for my site and came across this post. Could you clarify if this part of what you said: "The banner will be on all sites and you will no longer have the option to remove it from the Settings tab." is still applicable? There doesn't seem to be any way for me to edit my site to display or not display a cookie notification, and the information the online support and community support seems to be slightly outdated. Thanks for any insight!

Faye 

Message 10 of 9
Square

That info referred to the older website editor, @queenfayzel, which is not used by Square Online Stores. For your site we'll add the banner automatically when applicable.

Message 10 of 9