x

Home Page Issues

Why won't my home page show the same theme when I go to my other pages?

I have changed themes a few times to try to fix it. My new theme comes with a header that has a search bar, with a phone number option. I created a phone number through Google Voice so that my customers can contact me...

I also changed my font colors in my footer and it never changes on the Start page. But when I visit other pages, it shows the exact information and other things I changed.

What's going on?

www.kirstiehakanson.com

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

It looks like you have a custom theme in place currently, but we are seeing the home and other pages consistent with what's in the editor, and I haven't yet noted any changes in the font colors between them. Have you been able to try clearing your browser's cache and cookies?

Message 2 of 12

Well...I refreshed it but it got rid of all of my changes. I don't know if that was a glitch in the editor, but I'm going to try again with what I was trying to do in the editor. Maybe it will work this time.

Message 3 of 12

I cleared my cache in my browser on my MacBook and my iPhone. It still isn't working. It even still shows my old "Positively Kirstie Hakanson" which I removed from the SEO in each page. I made sure in my settings and all the SEO on my pages removed the "Positively" successfully. So when I publish everything, it doesn't fully publish it.

But I don't know why it's having issues with my browser. I tried Google Chrome to see if it was Safari and it's not. It's my Start Page only and I don't know why.

Here's what I see:

imageEditor 1imageEditor 2imageStart Page 1imageStart Page 2imageAbout Me 1imageAbout Me 2

Message 4 of 12
Square

There's a couple things that could be doing this.  You've either got some broken code somewhere, or a widget is overriding your styling.  Certain custom code isn't applied in the editor, which would explain why you're only seeing it on your live site.  

Since it's only happening on the home page of your site, I'd first review customizations you've made to that page.  Try removing anything custom for that page one at a time, and publishing in between (be sure to clear your cache before checking each time: http://www.refreshyourcache.com).

If that doesn't help, check what you have in Settings > SEO > Header/Footer code, and remove that and re-publish.

And finally, if that doesn't change anything, try switching to a standard theme and see if everything seems consistent.

Message 5 of 12

I don't know why any of my widgets would block it. They've never done that before and I haven't added any widgets. I just chose a random new one, didn't add any new widgets or plugins.

When I hit publish, it didn't change at all. When I choose a new theme, even on I've never used before, the theme doesn't change at all....

I don't know what I would have done because this literally just came out of the blue.

Oh and I have cleared my cache a couple of times. My operating system and Safari are way different now than in that link. I had to do it through Develop > Empty Caches.

Message 6 of 12
Square

I'm seeing the style differences like you are, . In my experience when you see style differences on the live site that aren't present in the editor, it means the culprit is something that isn't rendered or applied in the editor:

1. Some theme customizations

2. Widgets

3. Code in Settings > SEO > Header/Footer

4. Code for a page on the Pages tab in the SEO Settings area

Can you switch to a new theme and publish, and then leave it like that if it's not too much trouble? I'd like to see if the change is still there.

Message 7 of 12

I did and published it and it wouldn't even publish the new theme. I removed everything from the SEO in my settings, removed things from the SEO in all of the pages and it still wouldn't publish the theme at all. It's like the publish button isn't working now because when I updated one of my blog posts, it wouldn't publish that either.

Message 8 of 12
Square

That's odd - I'm using the same browser and operating system as you and can publish a test site ok. If you want, I can switch to a standard theme and publish the site for you if you let me know which standard theme you want to test with.

Message 9 of 12

I tried the Aroma blog theme, Haberdasher, and Squared in events.

Message 10 of 12

I went and chose an entirely different theme. I didn't make any changes to anything at all. I hit publish, then I clicked on my website link there and it still shows my old theme.

imageIn the editorimageClicking on my link

Message 11 of 12
Square

Thanks for the extra screenshots.  I noticed the DNS warning in your publish confirmation popup and checked your domain's DNS records:

kirstiehakanson.com	A	104.25.90.5
kirstiehakanson.com	A	104.25.91.5
*.kirstiehakanson.com	A	199.34.228.71

You're using cloudflare, and I believe they'll cache parts of a site they consider static as part of how it works.

Try updating your DNS to just point to us and give it a little while for those changes to propagate. Your "A" records should look like this instead of what you have above:

kirstiehakanson.com	A	199.34.228.71
*.kirstiehakanson.com	A	199.34.228.71
Message 12 of 12