x

PDFs no longer open in browser?

I just noticed yesterday that when I click on a "File," specifically one that I added to my site as a PDF, it now downloads to my computer instead of automatically opening in the browser as it used to since I can remember. This happens for all files on my site.  I am using Safari, but get similar results with FireFox and Chome. I made no changes to my browser. What changed with Weebly or the settings that I am missing? 

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

@MrLittle

URL of a page where you have added a pdf?

Message 21 of 25

@NJRFTF wrote:

@MrLittle

URL of a page where you have added a pdf?

http://www.mrlittlescience.com/ap-chemistry.html

Message 21 of 25
Square

Do we have permission to publish if needed, @MrLittle?

Message 21 of 25

@Bernadette wrote:

Do we have permission to publish if needed, @MrLittle?

Sure.

Message 21 of 25
Square

Thanks. I double checked with support and there is not a way to open the pdf in a new window unless you right click on the file first. If you wanted to recreate the files you could use a text element to add the verbiage and then link to a file. When you use the link option you have the ability to "open in a new window". 

Message 21 of 25

@Bernadette wrote:

Thanks. I double checked with support and there is not a way to open the pdf in a new window unless you right click on the file first. If you wanted to recreate the files you could use a text element to add the verbiage and then link to a file. When you use the link option you have the ability to "open in a new window". 

@Bernadette

I don't want to open them in a new window. Previously, before I noticed the change yesterday, when you would click them, they would open in the SAME window. Basically, you were able to view them in the browser without downloading the file to your computer. This is the way the site has always functioned but now for some reason the change. I have tested my browser and can confim that I can still preview PDF files from sites like Google in browser without downloading the file, but not from my site anymore. Any other thoughts?

Message 21 of 25
Square

Hm.. I was told that this change happened a long time ago. Do you remember the last time you were able to successfully open a pdf link within the same window? 

Message 21 of 25

@Bernadette

I was still opening them in the same window as of this week still.

Message 21 of 25

@Bernadette@NJRFTF

Just so we are clear about what I'm talking about... if you go to my site here: http://www.mrlittlescience.com/ap-chemistry.html and click on one of the PDF files near the top, it downloads the file to my Downloads folder on my Mac in Safari and starts to download it in FireFox (don't know which browser you are using).

If you go to this site: http://basdwpweb.beth.k12.pa.us/liberty/honorsap-summer-reading-assignments/ and click on one of the "Suggested Reading" Links near the top, it opens the PDF file right in the same browser window in Safari or FireFox and allows you to view it.  You could then save the file if you want or go back to the page you were on previously. This is exactly how the PDF files links on my Weebly site used to function until sometime this week. I don't see any options to make that change and I'm pretty sure I didn't change anything so I don't know why it started acting different. Hope this helps!

Message 21 of 25
Square

Thanks for the links, @MrLittle. I'm checking with our QA/engineering team to see if we made some MIME-type changes recently. If we changed the type for PDF files it could make the browser think it's just a file and download it.

Message 21 of 25

@AdamJust checking... any updates on this issue? I still notice its happening which stinks.

Message 21 of 25
Square

Our QA team took it to our engineers to fix, although I'm not sure how long that will take. Thanks for your patience!

Message 21 of 25

I also have a website with weebly (mrlama.weebly.com) and have noticed the exact same issue that Mr.Little experiences.  All of the pdf files on my weebly website used to open up automatically within the browser when you clicked them.  Only recently, I have noticed that now when I click on a pdf file, it immediately asks to download the file.  I also did not make any changes to my website for this to happen and am very interested to see what the engineering team will find to help up.  Thank you Mr. Little for bringing up this issue.  And thank you Adam for trying to resolve the problem.  Looking forward to hear your response.

Message 21 of 25

@Adam

I am having the exact same issue with my site (https://www.sciencejournalforkids.org/). It is definitely a new thing - I am sure that until very recently files opened in a tab in the browser instead of downloading directly the the computer. Looking forward to hearing an update from the engineers. Thank you!

Message 21 of 25
Square

Hopefully we hear back soon regarding this, @SJ4K!

Message 21 of 25

Any update on this issue? It's been over 6 months. 

Message 21 of 25

It's Dec 2018 and I have this issue still of PDF no longer opening in Chrome browser window.  When image clicked on it goes straight to save pdf file to.....

Is there anytime soon it will go back to the way it was?  That is, when image clicked on the pdf opens in browser window for reading online????

Thanks in advance for a speedy resolve

Message 21 of 25

Hi,

I'm not sure if you have resolved this, but i was looking around because I had a similar problem.

It seems mine was a problem because I had a "&" in the title of the file I was loading. Once i changed it to an "and" it worked fine. maybe you have this, or some other odd character that stops it from working

Message 21 of 25

Thanks for your suggestion.  I apprecaite you taking the time to share what worked for you.  I had some files with a "period" and a "hyphen" in them.  I changed a file to just plain letters and re-uploaded it. Unfortunately, it still prompted me to download the file as opposed to opening up the pdf in a new tab.  I'm glad it worked for you.  And thanks again.

Message 21 of 25

I've had the same issue for about the same length of time since this message was originally posted.  I hate it force-downloading these files, when I know they can simply open within the browser as a viewable file.  Add my name to your list of folks requesting this be resolved soon.

My students use my site to access notes in class, and the laptops we use are not download-friendly.  This is just another reason I enjoyed the Weebly platform for making my life easier...please restore my peace about this.

Thanks,

bullockscience.com

Message 25 of 25