x

How do I use a different password to password protect different pages?

[Note: The title of this post has been edited by a moderator.]

Are there any definite plans to add a feature to password protect individual pages?  I am a photographer and password protect my client galleries.  It works great but I do not like the fact that clients can view other client galleries.  I know there is a work around by creating groups to limit access to pages but that unfortunately will not work in my case.  If I have a client that wants to share their gallery with other family members, doing so with a page password would allow anyone with the password to see it.  I would not need to give them access by adding them to the group.  The group feature reduces the freedom my clients would have in sharing their gallery and that would not sit well with them.

I am planning to revamp my entire website soon but am holding off until I get a better feel if Weebly is planning to make any changes to this feature.  If there are no plans to do so, I may have to switch to another web host.  I really love Weebly but this has become a major sticking point for me.

Message 1 of 37
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

While we don't currently support setting different site passwords for different pages, our Membership features can provide this kind of option for you. With Membership you can make pages members or groups-only, and they have their own separate login information.

Note: Membership is currently only available for sites built using the classic Weebly drag and drop editor.

View Best Answer >

Message 9 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

Hello! This is certainly something we've heard some requests for. You may want to stop by the Vote on Features section, if you haven't already, as more votes there help our team here see what's in demand.

Message 9 of 37

I want this as well and am considering another provider in the next week as a result.

Thanks!

Stephanie

Message 9 of 37
Square

Best Answer

While we don't currently support setting different site passwords for different pages, our Membership features can provide this kind of option for you. With Membership you can make pages members or groups-only, and they have their own separate login information.

Note: Membership is currently only available for sites built using the classic Weebly drag and drop editor.

Message 9 of 37

Hi Adam, while that is an option - it's more heavyweight/logistical hassle thandesired.  

I asked on this in another Community thead a while ago and gave a good use case on 'just a password' vs 'membership' here: Suggestion: Visibility Page-level passwords option

When you just want/need a simple 'gateway filter" - Forcing web managers and web users to create and manage yet ANOTHER online account can be a bridge to far. 

Message 9 of 37
Square

I can understand what you mean, @leturner. Thanks for the feedback!

Message 9 of 37

Hi guys, 

I developed a simple-to-use password login piece of embedded code a while back.

It might help. 

www.password login.weebly.com.

The code is downloadable on the site...image

Message 9 of 37

Very cool.  Where would I put that code in Weebly?

Message 9 of 37

I agree this should be an easy solution available to all the members of Weebly. The bottom line is my website is available for everyone, but few pages which are dedicated for my family members only. Some are elders and least on their mind is to become a member of any internet providers, clubs, etc. I just want to send them a link and the password...

Message 32 of 37

Hello Jacek! Just to clarify, were you looking into passwords on a free site in particular?

Message 32 of 37

Hi all,

I finally finished developing a nice HTML/Javascript workaround for password protecting individual pages on Weebly.

The code displays a login screen and calls different web pages based on the password you enter. The values are hardcoded into the code, so they are easy to find and change. I've stuck it up on the sample website; http://www.passwordlogin.weebly.com. The code in on the website too (bottom-left).

Try it out; password "laura" takes you to McDonalds, and password "molly" takes you to Burger King. To change it, simply download the code and change the password/website values. The code is in a .txt file, so open it in Notepad. When you're finished changing it, place the code in an Embed Code element and your done. No need to place anything in the SEO Settings/Header code section. 

The code is currently designed to go to two different websites based on two different passwords, but can be easily changed to accept more or less passwords/websites.

How to use: 

1. Create a Weebly web page called, e.g. "pwlogin".

2. Place the an Embed Code element on the page.

3. Copy the text into the Embed Code.

4. Done.

5. You can place a text element above if required.

Hope this helps...

Message 32 of 37

That's an awesome tool you've created! It looks like it will be quite useful for some of our Community members.

Message 32 of 37

Thanks guys.

Message 32 of 37

This is a nice tool. However, it is not secure at all. If you click the view source on the page, the passwords and the links to the hidden pages are visible. I was looking for something with an extra level of security. What you have done is still pretty cool.
Message 32 of 37

Thanks for the password suggestion @MikeMaycock. This is a great workaround for my intended use. One question: Could you assist me in revising the code to contain three options instead of two? Your time and knowledge are appreciated.

Message 32 of 37

Hi NostalgicSoul,

I've modified the password login code to allow for infinite password entries. Simply download the code from the website and open it in notepad.

Note 1: The code now checks a list of valid passwords. If a valid password is entered, the associated website is opened. If an invalid password is entered, an error message is displayed.

Note 2: Search the code for laura, molly, katie or chris and you should be able to follow the code.

Note 3: If you want to set up more password/sites links, simply add a valid password to the list and then copy/paste/edit an existing website call.

Hope this helps.

Yours, 

Mike

Message 32 of 37

PS: This was originally a quick & dirty fix to the problem of password protecting individual web pages as Weebly were "considering" adding the facility.
Message 32 of 37

You are awesome @MikeMaycock. Greatly appreciate your taking the time to work this out. It is perfect for what I am doing. One last thing; if you can't do it, no problem. Is there a way to have the target website open in the same window as opposed to opening a new one? This is more out of preference than necessity, so it is no big deal. Thanks!

Message 32 of 37

Hi NostalgicSoul,
As requested, I've modified the code to open the called website in the current window. I've re-loaded the code on the website (http://passwordlogin.weebly.com - bottom-left). Simply download it and embed it in your own Weebly page.
Message 32 of 37

Perfect! I noticed you added '_self' to the line specifying which website to open. I am new to writing HTML and learning new stuff everyday. Thanks for your assistance!

Message 32 of 37

It seems this does nothing. It just adds a small box on the page that allows for one to enter the PW. However, one can still navigate all pages. It blocks nothing. I don't see the point of it.
Message 32 of 37