x

SSL certification for starter plan

Hi

I'm using Weebly for last 2 years now and have subscribed to starter pack as I'm using my website for photography portfolio. SSL certification is a basic requirement today as it gives, the visitors confidence to access the site & also, it's an assurance to website owner that his/her data/content is protected. Weebly seems to have a policy of giving SSL certification for only PRO plans onwards. I had purchased SSL certificate from a third party but Weebly seems to restrict the access for the same. 

I have an earnest suggestion, SSL certificate is not that costly and it should be included in the starter plan, if not then atleast website owner must be allowed to use his/her own SSL certificate. 

I hope, Weebly will consider this suggestion with an open mind.

Best,

Sarang

Message 1 of 88
87 REPLIES 87
Square

Thanks for the suggestion, @Sarang_Bhand! I'll share that with the rest of the team.

Message 13 of 88

Thanks @Adam , appreicate the same.

regards

Message 13 of 88

Adam - I too think this needs immediate attention.  I am looking at moving my website but whilst it costs me £10 to get an SSL on that site it is effectively costing me hundreds to get one with Weebly! It is profiteering and I'm afraid it stinks. With Google's recent changes an SSL certificate is no longer an option - it's a necessity for SEO and user experience. Without the SSL option the site is not valid and therefore all weebly sites under PRO are unfit for purpose.

Message 13 of 88

Yes please, it's quite concerning that even though I'm not selling anything via my website, even the fact that it has an email form for contacting me, it's still likely to put people off getting in contact if they think the site could be compromised. Please let us know asap whether Weebly is going to provide an SSL certificate for the basic package website or at least allow a third party to provide one. And many are doing so for free these days

Message 13 of 88
Square

If you're selling through your website have you considered upgrading to Business? There are a lot of features that are useful for online stores in addition to SSL.

Message 13 of 88

When you are juat starting out in your online business you do NOT want to spend hundreds of dollars on SSL and other things until you have positive flow to your site.  You ought to give it for free or as a standalone for a nominal fee like online providers.  You can even allow a third party nonprofit (WHAT'S THIS YOU ASK??) plugin:  https://letsencrypt.org/getting-started/

Moving the fight to social media... we will take Weebly down.

Message 13 of 88

Love Weebly, would pay a modest fee for SSL ($10/year), but with the birth of sites like letsencrypt, it is not reasonable to charge hundreds.  Before I would do that, I'll start hosting my own website (again).

Please provide us some feedback on this!

Message 13 of 88
Square

We're working on a soution to bring SSL to all Weebly sites, although I don't have any info yet on what that will look like, or when. I'd recommend keeping an eye on our blog for updates about it, though:

http://www.weebly.com/blog

Message 13 of 88

Why is this taking so long? Google put a pop up in place for contact form submissions w/o SSL's earlier this year. It's also been a soft ranking factor since 2014 for goodness sakes!

I'm like many other people who have posted here in that I don't need the full business package.  I run a service business and don't sell products online.  That said, I've recently started blogging to boost my search rankings and I'd like to build in a newsletter.  However, I don't see a point in doing this until a SSL becomes available at a reasonable price.  What's the point if security packages like McAfee are going to flag my site as a security risk to potential customers?

PLEASE move forward with this - soon.

Disapointed,

Erik

Message 13 of 88

I agree!  Three days away and no updates - no nothing!  I am a newbie at all of this even after two years with Weebly.  If I take a massive hit around the holidays livid doesn't even began to describe my feelings. 

Message 13 of 88

Dear Adam

Are all the techies working at snail pace? Is it a contest for just how slow can they go - or are they getting fed up too waiting for management to make a decision on the necessity of rolling out security to ALL PAID PACKAGES?

How long does it take for a major website host to recognise that every other host has got to grips with this issue for paying clients and has rolled out security status to their basic package?

The articles in the professional magazines will be starting soon - prompted by all the letters commenting on how people have got fed up waiting for Weebly and they now need to move their site

Guess how badly Weebly will do in the review of the preparedness for Google's new emphasis on security status?

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 88

I am in the same boat. I totally agree with you. Its fair for both us and Weebly if weebly just gives SSl as either a standalone option or include it in the starter package instead of forcing us to use Pro plans and onward. SSL certificates are cheap and even free nowadays, please get with the trend Weebly.

Message 14 of 88

Yes I agree.  I've been with Weebly since pretty much the beginning and this is very important.  Weebly does need to give  us SSL certification.  Thanks.

Message 15 of 88

The option to run all sites over SSL/TLS - even if it is at a small additional cost - is urgently needed. All websites which collect any kind of personal information have a duty to secure that information. It's not just a trust issue, it's a fundamental security issue. I understand from talking to support that development is in progress, but there is no ETA for it.

Squarespace.com offer this 'feature' as standard and have for months. I really don't want to move our site - I'm happy with every other aspect of Weebly - but this needs to be fixed soon.

It would be very good to have even a rough idea of when you're aiming to roll it out so that we know how long we have to work around it. I really urge the Weebly team to publish some kind of date, even if it is tentative.

Chris

Message 89 of 88

I just received notice that October 27th (in a week) a new version of the Chrome Browser will be introduced which will increase the present "NOT SECURE" warming on HTTP pages when the user interacts with ANY input field or the page contains a password.  

As a very small shoestring business that has used Weebly for 3 years I am VERY concerned.  We have a starter site and have no need (and can't afford) the features of an upgraded site...but we do need the SSL security....NOW!  Our e-commerce plus is is SSL but because Weebly is not the whole site is labeled UNSECURE.

I understand many Weebly competitors offer this for free on entry level sites.  I will need to move my site to one of these other companies if Weebly does not step up now.  This has been an issue for sometime and there has not been any movement.  We like other aspects of Weebly and do not want to leave but we cannot afford to have customers scared away from purchases because they feel the site is not secure.

I am willing to pay a small one-time fee but can not afford to move to monthly cost of business plan just to get this feature.  HELP!  NOW!  We are DROWNING!

Message 89 of 88

Hello tonydavid! Sorry for the stress. We are currently at work getting SSL in place, and you won't need to pay anything additional in order to have it on your site.

Message 89 of 88

Thank you for the response.  I am glad your working on the SSL and it won't cost more.  However there is no response as to the big question.

The BIG questions is WHEN will the SSL be OFFERED??????????????????????

Message 89 of 88

Hi Tony / Hi All,

I just received a mail update from weebly today and I'm sure you all may have received one as well. Weebly has given us the needed ssl certificate. I enabled it today and now my site has the secure certificate. Thanks to Weebly team for taking this decision and thanks to you all as well for raising the concern with one voice. Happy to see, the issue has been proactively resolved. Cheers
Message 89 of 88

How is it possible to receive the SSL certificate for the starter pack. I didn't receive anything and still I need to upgrade to activate the SSL Certifcate...Can someone help me please?

Message 89 of 88
Square

When I check the site in your account, @daridesign, it looks like you've already enabled SSL. Did you still need assistance?

Message 89 of 88