x

Why isn't SSL included in Pro Plans?

SSL is the standard for website autheniticy. What most don't realise who use Weebly, your webiste gets rejected by many search engines/servers due not having SSL. Unfortunitely if you don't purchases the 'Business' subscription, you don't get SSL included. SSL should be included with any paid plans. Weebly really needs to consider including this in all there paid plans. Consider this before signing up...

Message 1 of 132
131 REPLIES 131

@varsityrecords1

Here's what moderator Adam had to say on this subject recently...

Community ManagerCOMMUNITY MANAGER
Re: SSL Encryption is a must have in 2017

We are in the process of determining how we want to proceed with this, but I don't have info right now on how or in what way that will be. Sorry, I don't have more to say right now - I want you to know that it is something we plan on taking action about, though.

Given that Wix has now introduced SSL free to all their plans then hopefully we will see some movement soon.

Message 22 of 132

Has there been any decision on this yet? I'd like to add SSL to my Pro site, and have been promoting Weebly hosting to the church I currently serve, but without SSL they won't go with Weebly. They don't need a business site, but Pro will do, with the addition of SSL and Promote (which they're willing to pay for).

RevK

Message 22 of 132

Weebly should offer SSL for all the plans. Wix and SquareSpace is offering SSL for free. So why not weebly?

Google seems to prefer websites that has https. Another thing about having that "https" beside your website is people trust your website more. I know people (non-techy) all they know is sites should have https otherwise they don't visit. Sounds stupid, I know. But a lot of people think like this.

Message 22 of 132

Hey! @Adam This lack of SSL without having the business plan is starting to effect my website ranking and it would be great to add SSL via letsencrypt or offer it with the pro subscription. Is there any news on this update? I see most other competitors are offering this now and this seems to be a common issue for other weebly users not needing the business plan features but needing SSL.

Message 22 of 132

I have 30 clients in my Designer account - looks like Im migrating to Wix very soon

BAD SERVICE GUYS

Message 22 of 132

We have a number of clients in the designer account as well - and we're unable to address their concerns about their sites being rejected. Even migrating a few accounts over to the 'Consumer' Weebly side doesn't provide a resolution beyond going to the Pro subscription. If you combine the most recent issue with the utter lack of new development on the designer account side Wix may be our only option as we certainly don't want to return to supporting multiple instances of Wordpress. 

Message 22 of 132
Square

Hi @orbitdesignwork

I can definitely see how this would put you in a tough spot! I apologize for this. 

Rolling out SSL to all of our customers and platforms is an ongoing work in progress. At this time we do not have a definite timeline for adding SSL to the designer platform as we are still working on adding SSL to standard Weebly accounts. If you run into an issue where you don't see the option for SSL after migrating someone to the consumer side let me know and I'll look into it for you.

Message 22 of 132

I have run into this issue - please make SSL free for all plans - it says it is free on your pricing list, but it asks you to Upgrade when you choose SSL - there's an inconsistency here.

Message 22 of 132

I was alarmed to find that I would need to upgrade to Business plans on my three websites and pay double the price to get SSL on Weebly. I believe that Weebly should be offering free SSL on the Pro and all other plans. My only option now seems to be to transfer my websites to another company such as Wix. It's really disappointing that Weebly cannot react swiftly to this and offer free SSL to existing and new users.

Tags (1)
Message 22 of 132

Adam, I think Weebly should offer SSL for free. In the past, I would understand why Weebly won't offer this, but recently online threats, changes in technology, and Google has made it almost "deafault" for websites to have SSL. I think some here pointed out that search engines "shame" websites that don't have SSL. Not sure about that.

I know that this is hardly an argument but not only Wix but Squarespace offers SSL for free by deafault. SSL it seems is now standard. Please consider. If you include it on your Pro plans I don't mind paying. I'm a small website and can't afford and don't need a business plan.

Message 22 of 132
Square

@pongli

Hi there! You are absolutely right about all sites needing to have SSL now. We have been working dilligently to provide this option for all of our customers. As you can imagine we have A LOT of customers so it has definitely been an every day work in progress. With that said, I checked your account and your sites are ready to enable. Smiley Happy

Login to your editor and click on the Settings tab. Scroll down to the SSL section and click on Enable. There will be a short form to fill out. If you get any errors or run into a problem just let me know. 

Message 22 of 132

Hi! I went to my site it tells me that "...as part of the Business plan" (see below), does that mean that I have to upgrade?
Or I'll be charged for a business plan?

Message 22 of 132
Square

No, you do not have to upgrade. That is an old pop-up box, but thank you for pointing that out! All you need to do is fill out the short form and click Save. You should see the SSL is configuring. If you run into any errors please let me know. 

Message 22 of 132

I have the same problem. I have 10 pro plans with weebly and to enable the ssl I only have a upgrade button...

Bernadette, you wrote that I don't have to upgrade to a business plan to get the SSL. Could you explain to me how to do that?

Message 22 of 132
Square

Sorry about that, @dlambertpsy. I've made a change so you can enable SSL on all of your sites now.

Message 22 of 132

I have been a member of weebly with a pro account for several years now, I used to have my custom favicons show, now I have the icon saying my sites are not secure,  how do I rectify this and enable SSL? As stated by people previously,  when I try to enable SSL, it says I need to upgrade (which I do not want nor should I need to do).  Thanks for your help and guidance with this issue.

Message 22 of 132
Square

It looks like our Customer Success team made a change to your account so you can enable SSL, @MollyS. Sorry about that!

Message 22 of 132

Hello, I have the same problem. I have a pro plan with weebly and to enable the ssl, I only have a upgrade button.

Please, help me. I saw someone wrote that I don't have to upgrade to a business plan to get the SSL. 

Message 22 of 132

Hi! I went to my site it tells me that "...as part of the Business plan" (see below), does that mean that I have to upgrade?
Or I'll be charged for a business plan?
Message 22 of 132

I just recently found out that SSL isn't included anymore. I do say anymore, because I remember my website address showing https:// before. This explains why my ranking has substantially gone down. I have just a very small business and I can't afford to see the costs for my plan go double as high. And I don't think it's correct to offer the amenity and then take it away unles you upgrade. 

Message 22 of 132