x

any text I copy from Word goes wrong

Any text I copy and then add from Word or emails shows up with some sort of link that can't be removed...basically my site looks really bad and unprofessional and guess what? there's no way to remove it....

Sussport wise there is never any solutions...

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Word contains underlying formatting that is also copied over with the text and as you have discovered, can have some -ve effects!

The only way to do it is to copy in Word then paste into a plain text editor such as Windows Notepad, then copy in Notepad and paste into the text element in Weebly.   By the way - this has nothing to do with Weebly itself but is common to most web builders - it's actually a MS thing!!

Message 3 of 3

@erik1975, @NJRFTF

Hey just thought I'd let you know of two alternatives. They aren't exactly better but may be situationally more convenient. @NJRFTF is perfectly correct about the text being, "contaminated," as I call it. In short the reason is that you're also copying the xml formatting behind the content you're copying and the web has no idea that there are essentially two levels of data and it tries to present it as one.

EASIEST SOLUTION: Everyone really should have a clipboard manager. Copy/paste  is wasted if it can only retain 1 thing at a time. If you're on PC This freeware will help you quite I bit (here's a cool alternative. warning: I haven't tried these, I use mac)

If you use an apple, I've got a huge treat for you. How about we continue to just hit ⌘+v and continue business as usual?Just change it in your preferences! This changes the hotkey from "Paste" to "Paste Without Formatting" and you don't have to download a thing. Still, get a clipboard manager. You'll thank me later. 

Other Possible solutions that aren't as fun or cool and don't come with lightsabers:

Spoiler

(Meanwhile, at the "Not Cool" table)
In theory, you can highlight everything ( Ctrl + a or ⌘+ a ) and right click and you should see "clear formatting." (the icon is an italicized T on a signature line with the subscript x at the end). after you hit that you should be able to copy/past directly but this will also clear any line breaks. 

I have had this problem many times but I cannot repeat the issue if I'm in google docs. perhaps one solution is use docs to open your files when you use for web. 

Message 4 of 3