x

How do I process refunds with non-Square hardware?

[Edit: The title of this post has been edited by a moderator for clarity.]

Hello.

I like Square, but I am interested in making my own POS hybrid app for Android, considering I started working on it way before I thought about Square. I'd say it's about 15% done. But before I invest any more time in it, I need to know if the Register API allows me to make refunds.

Otherwise, how could I refund a customer that paid through my custom POS? I can imagine that it would be tracked through Square directly, and I'd have to open the actual Square Register App to process refunds. But that sounds weird, and I can just imagine confusion when training new employees. Hopefully there's a way to handle refunds in the API?

Another question I have is about the end of a transaction using the Register API. Does it still print my receipts and open my drawer if the payment was cash? Or do I still need to program that? 

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

You can make refunds using our APIs, or through the Square Point of Sale app. 

Any integrations with third party cash drawers or printers you would probably have to do yourself.

Hope that helps! 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Alumni

Best Answer

You can make refunds using our APIs, or through the Square Point of Sale app. 

Any integrations with third party cash drawers or printers you would probably have to do yourself.

Hope that helps! 

Message 2 of 4

Yeah. I figured I'd have to do the printer and drawer myself. No big deal though!

Do you by chance know whether or not the Register API gives you information about tender? Like, if the sale rung up for $5, and the customer gave $10 in cash, would the API be able to tell my app the change? 

Message 3 of 4
Alumni

You'd have to make some more Connect API calls. Be sure to check out our Connect API docs!

Message 4 of 4