x

Lobbying for an adjustment to the tipping page options.

I am a taxicab driver and I have been using the square for about a year now. For the most part, I have been extremely happy with the dependability of this products.

Having said that, there is one hangup that I have with the set percentages offered on the tipping page and the understated "custom amount" tipping option. Let me explain: other card processing services that I have used required the customer to write in the amount of the tip they wanted to leave. So (using a $5 fare as a hypothetical) I would frequently get anywhere from 2-$5 as a tip (substantially more that 20%). However, when 20% is offered as an option (on the square dashboard), my customers frequently choose it instead. To remedy this decrease in my tips, I have set my tipping percentages higher. As you can imagine, this also has a down side (raised eyebrows, vocal complaints - and probably more often than not -frustrated silence).

My suggestion is that the tipping page should emphasize the "custom amount" tipping option and underplay the set percentages option. The reason being that the 20% tip "rule of thumb" (though appropriate in some situations) is sorely antiquated in others. Additionally, this is a win-win increasing revenues for both individual business owners and square.com.

Sincerely,

Steve

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hi Steve. 

If you set all of your percentage amounts within the "Set Percentage Amounts" for tips to 0%, your customer will only be given the option to enter a custom amount. 

Also, you might benefit from using Smart Tip Amounts. 

When you use Smart Tip Amounts, payments less than $10.00 will have tipping options of $1, $2, or $3. 

Payments that are more than $10.00 will show customers tipping options of 15%, 20%, or 25%. 

Message 2 of 2