x

Unclear error message when using Square Register web API?

We're trying to set up in-person payments using the Square Register web API.

So far we created the Application in our Developer account. In the Register API tab we configured the "Web" section on the bottom with a valid callback URL. From the credentials tab we got the Application ID and put that into the code on our web page. We also made sure the same callback URL is used in the code on our web page.

That all seems pretty obvious. Going to the payment page on our website and clicking the link will open the Square Register app on the phone. Very cool. But then we get a API Error saying "Client not enabled for Register API. Check your application's Register API settings."

I'm not sure which setting is wrong, or missing. There doesn't seem to be a lot anywhere.

How can I figure out what's going wrong?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

This is probably a copy/paste error and your application id is misspelled. Can you share a copy of your code? 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Alumni

Best Answer

This is probably a copy/paste error and your application id is misspelled. Can you share a copy of your code? 

Message 2 of 3

Thanks tristansokol. It wasn't exactly the problem you suggest, but you inspired me to look at the URL again more carefully. I did indeed have some bad data in the URL. I didn't spot it last night because of all the encoding. After looking again with fresh eyeballs today I noticed that a PHP variable was embedded in the URL string - that variable was contained within single quotes in the code so it wasn't being expanded properly.

Problem solved and my newly Square-enabled website is up and running. Thanks again.

Message 3 of 3