x

Can a more subtle tipping option be added for customer facing interface?

We would love to allow customers top tip our staff via credit card, but the only option is this interface that makes customers activly select "no-tip".  From a customer experience perspective this is like the staff holding their hand out for a tip every time they sell a cup of coffee. I'd love to see an option for a screen that just shows the total to the customer and displays a small option for 'I'd like to leave a tip.' below. This would allow customers to tip with a card when they don't have cash, but also allow others to buy a small ticket item without feeling guilty for not leaving a tip. We're feeling pressure from our staff to accept CC tips, but we refuse to turn it on while it is set up this way. The feeling the customer has when they leave our stores is the most important thing! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

EDIT: I saw the line for customer facing after I posted. This tells me you’re using Square Register. I’m not familiar with the interface with Register; the advice below is for Point of Sale. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a way to do this on Register though...

——

It sounds like you have the separate tipping screen enabled on your Point of Sale. With this option enabled, the tip screen is forced upon the customer. 

To disable this screen go to Settings -> Tipping and scroll down. 

With this setting disabled the customer will see a signature line with a line of tip amounts above it. If the customer does nothing with the tip line the software automatically chooses No Tip. It’s a lot more of a passive way to collect tips. 

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 3

Thank you for your response. On square register there is only tipping ON which forces customers to press 'NO TIP' and tipping OFF which does not allow for tipping. I'm hoping a happy medium can be reached like what you described above. If customer does nothing NO TIP is assumed, but if they want to tip there is a button for them to add it. 

Half of our customers are old school and are actually offended to be asked to tip on a $2 cup of coffee that is handed over the counter. 

The other half are hipster types who have never held a dollar bill and feel guilty that they have no way to tip when they want to. 

Message 3 of 3