x

Is there a way to change the invoice number so I'm not starting at 00001 again?

Hello I've just started using square. It's awesome. 

I want to send invoices, but my accounting system is at invoice 0011105 and square wants to send invoices as invoice 000001...

is there a way to change the setting to start from another invoice number?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Welcome to Square! I'm glad to hear it's been working well. 😀

As for your quesiton,  we don't currently offer a way to adjust the automated start number. On the flip side, you can delete the number that auto populates and enter a customized one. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Square

Best Answer

Welcome to Square! I'm glad to hear it's been working well. 😀

As for your quesiton,  we don't currently offer a way to adjust the automated start number. On the flip side, you can delete the number that auto populates and enter a customized one. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 14

It would be nice to see those instructions here - it appears there is no way to do that on my device.

Message 3 of 14

Hey @Jmby, all you need to do is click on the Custom Invoice ID number and hit back space. That will remove the auto populated number. 😀

Message 4 of 14

I tried deleting the self-populated invoice ID#, then saving it to draft, but it put the ID# back to what it was.

Message 5 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Cheers2023 - I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

I just created a new test Invoice with the custom number, 1001, and was able to save it as a draft without the number changing from what I set it to. 

Are you doing this from your Square Dashboard as well or within the Square Point of Sale app? I'll keep an eye out for your reply!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 14

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Can I customize my invoice numbers?" The author has been notified via email.

starting invoicing at # 0001 isn’t the best idea that’s what the customer sees on invoices if you just started using. them.

Message 7 of 14

After I complete the invoice and hit continue it takes me to the communication window, that's where I can edit the invoice number.

Message 8 of 14

Is it possible to have Square generate a sequentially-numbered invoice based automatically on a receipt number? Example: ##-2021  

001-2021

002-2021

Message 9 of 14
Alumni

Hi there, and welcome to the Seller Community 👋

That would be considered a feature request at this time, @KW_Mechanical 🔧 
I've moved your post over to this thread so you can receive a notification if we have an update to provide.

Valentina
Message 10 of 14

Hi, 

Is there an ETA on this?  It would be really nice to not have to start at zero again.. or manually change EVERY invoice

Message 11 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hello @howlingboytech,

Good to see you posting in the Seller Community for the first time, welcome! 😁

Currently the system autogenerates invoices according to what is currently there. If you are needing to change the invoice number to customize for your needs, you will need to do this manually each time. 

Since there is a similar thread, I will move your post there. Take a peek at @Sean's answer too. 

I can definitely see how this would be beneficial to may of our Customers, and will advise the product team to consider this. 

I look forward to reading your thoughts! ☺️

Frida
Message 12 of 14
Beta Member

Hello, I am curious why this would be a feature request when the feature, or something very similar to what KW_Mechanical mentions, was present before. When I initially started using invoices, I was given the option to add custom characters to the invoice ID line. In 2017 - 2020, I started all my invoices with the year followed by 4 numbers. For example, in 2017 invoices would have been 170001. The same went for 2020. Some time between the beginning of 2020 and now, that capability has disappeared. All my invoices are stuck with the prefix of 20, but have been increasing by 1 for every new invoice.

Message 13 of 14

I know this is an old post, but I see some recent replies to it. 

If you manually change the invoice number, say, from 220123, to 230001 to start the year, it will continue from that point until you change it again next year.

Message 14 of 14