x

Is there a way for non-profit donors to cover transaction fees?

Is it possible for donors to cover the transaction fees so that the non-profit would receive 100% of the donation?

Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

It is possible, however there are various state rules and regulations for adding a surcharges on your transactions, in this case passing the processing fee to the customer. I'll refer you to our Support Center to read more!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Square

Best Answer

It is possible, however there are various state rules and regulations for adding a surcharges on your transactions, in this case passing the processing fee to the customer. I'll refer you to our Support Center to read more!

Message 2 of 14

Fees for Non profit organization: Are we able to charge our customers?

Hello, We are a non for profit organization in the community (Football and Cheerleading) and lots of parents have been asking us to accept cards (since nobody has cash nowadays). We thought square would be perfect however as an organization we cannot pay the fee's associated. Are we able to charge the parents a convience fee (the cost it costs us to accept)?

Message 3 of 14
Admin

Thanks for your interest in Square @AprilCheer!

Another organization asked a similar question that we answered so I've added your post to this thread.

As Spenser mentions above you should refer to this Support Center article for important information about applying surcharges to Square Sales!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 14

We are a not-for-profit organization that accepts donations and retail sales receipts from members and customers.  In both cases, we would like to have a feature that would allow the donor/customer to donate the processing fee for the transaction when they pay with a credit card.  I have been able to do this with other not-for-profit organiztions when paying with credit card.  There is a simple question at the end of the transaction that asks "Would you like to make an additional donation to cover the credit card processing fee for this transaction (i.e., 2.9% +.30)?"  There is a "yes" or "no" option.  When the customer/donor chooses "yes", the system automatically calculates the amount and adds it to the total amount charged.  

Is this available on Square?

Message 5 of 14
Super Seller

a feature like that is not currently available on Square to automatically apply it based on a response.  You can manually pass the fee on if you so choose and it is legal in your state by adding an item called "service fee" or something similar and adding the amount of the fees as that item's price.

Message 6 of 14
Beta Member

I am in the same position as you.

I am a student in high school, and currently work for this school affiliated organization. I am studying computer science in school right now, and square does offer a API that if you have the resources and knowledge you can almost create your own app to do purchases. It's called square api.

Message 7 of 14

Will there ever be an option to add Donation Button, where individuals can kindly pay the processing fees?  We are not a store but collect membership fees.  Many are willing to pay the square fees but there is no option, except under the tax section, which we do not deal with.

Message 8 of 14
Admin

Hello and welcome to the Seller Community @Josie3775

I've moved your question to this relevant thread that addresses your question. Take a look there and let us know if anything else comes up.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 9 of 14

1) Will there ever be a button customers can push to pay the Square transaction fees, as a friendly donation and not be counted in to the total where Square takes 3%?

2) The continue shopping button takes you back to the home page.  Logically, it should take you back to the product page or where we want it to go really.  Is there anyway to make this happen?

Message 10 of 14

We are also a nonprofit that uses square. I would like to also request our donors to be able to pay the merchant fees if they choose. Some donors are happy to do it We are not sending an invoice, so we are unable to ask them ahead of time to add the fee. This feature is available with other merchants. We love using Square and would like to also have this feature.

Message 11 of 14

We are also a nonprofit that uses square. I would like to also request our donors to be able to pay the merchant fees if they choose. Some donors are happy to do it We are not sending an invoice, so we are unable to ask them ahead of time to add the fee. This feature is available with other merchants. We love using Square and would like to also have this feature.

Message 12 of 14

Message 13 of 14

Yeah same here or maybe the merchant fees need not be an arm and a leg!;)

Message 14 of 14