x

Managing inventory at multiple locations

I have 6 locations with the same inventory. Is there a way to manage inventory per location in square dashboard?

All of my locations have the same deposit to account. 

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 15
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @BigDaddys—welcome to the seller community! 👍🏻

It looks like another seller had a similar question. I'd suggest having a look at @Ron's and @RCT's reply in: How to use inventory to track sales at multiple locations.

Hope that helps get you in the right direction—if anything else comes up, please us know! 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @BigDaddys—welcome to the seller community! 👍🏻

It looks like another seller had a similar question. I'd suggest having a look at @Ron's and @RCT's reply in: How to use inventory to track sales at multiple locations.

Hope that helps get you in the right direction—if anything else comes up, please us know! 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 15

I don't know how to go about solving this problem. I don't understand how the software treats in stock items. Why don't items appear in all locations? In one location the items are all sold out, in the other they appear correctly.

Message 3 of 15
Alumni

Hi @crusty-delight - have you enabled inventory tracking for each location? Check out Tom's answer on this thread to learn how. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 15
Beta Member

Hi 

I am not sure I am phrasing this properly but basically, I am an online business who also stands at 2  markets on a weekly basis. I only have one inventory / stock list which I sell online and in the other two locations (let's call them Market 1 and Market 2).

I would like to allow my customers to order online and pick up from Market 1 or Market 2. I have set up multiple locations on my account, but Square sees is as 3 physical locations with 3 separate inventories. I thought it was set up correctly, but at the moment when my customers want to pick up from either market, items show as unavailable at those locations because I do not track stock at these locations. If I track stock at these locations, then my inventory is all wrong and shows 3 times as many items as what I really have.

So how can I make the pick up from Market 1 or Market 2 options available on my website for my customers? Is there a way to merge the locations so they use the same inventory list across all three locations?

Message 5 of 15
Square Community Moderator

Hello @Forginthecraft! 

Looks like there's another thread with a best answer. 

I will merge your question there so you can take a look.

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Frances
Message 6 of 15
Beta Member

Hi @frances_a 

Thanks for that but that doesn't actually answer my question. 

I have the same problem as Crusty Delight with online shop having all the stock and the other two locations sold out. If I enable stock tracking at all locations, my inventory is all wrong either way. So for example, let's say I have in my inventory 5 white buttons. Those 5 white buttons are the whole stock of white buttons I have. The 5 buttons will be available to purchase online and I will take them with me to the 2 weekly markets I attend to make them available to buy there (these are my other 2 locations Market A and Market B). I don't have stock assigned to a particular location. 

If I enable stock tracking in all 3 locations and enter 5 for each, then my inventory is wrong because it shows I have 15 buttons - which I don't, I only have 5. Then if I sell 1 online, I need to adjust manually the other two locations. I can't assign a portion of the stock to each location. I don't have more than one item for some of my handmade items. 

To go with the modifier option for the markets would work at the markets, but not online, where customers can order and collect from either market. 

Any other solutions available? 

Message 7 of 15

Hey, I am in the same situation and understand the frustration!

I turned my pick up locations toggles for "pick up" on so that fixed one problem. My online customers can now pick that as a location to pick up at but I had to turn stock tracking on and now items that I only have 1 of show 2 total being available because I have 2 locations (one being my home business online and one being a physical pick up location). 

I also do markets and one way I've thought about preventing the sale of a single item twice (online and at the market) is by turning off online sales while I'm at a market. But it is more work, I will still have to adjust inventory manually, and there is still a chance someone could order 2 of an item when there is only one.

Message 8 of 15
Beta Member

Thanks for that @Cariboo_Acres 

I thought about turning my online sales off whilst at a market, but that wouldn't do me any favours because I do get orders (not often but I do get them) at the same time on my website. So I don't want to turn any orders down as I am trying to establish my website at the moment (as opposed to customers using my Etsy or eBay). 

Pick up toggle is on for both physical locations (both markets), but at the moment, customers can't choose it because I haven't turned tracking on. I can't turn tracking on the market locations because  I use stock tracking for inventory management purposes. In actual fact, my Square POS is set to use the online location, because this is the one where I track stock. So it looks like it's out of stock at that location. This is really frustrating because I tell my customers they can order in advance and pick up at the market, but realised that actually, they can't. 

I would need the pick up locations to be independent from the stock tracking - so basically like a "shipping" option, i.e. customers choose either standard shipping, express shipping, pick up at market A or pick up at market B.

Ok so my answer has given me an idea... How about I don't use the multiple locations and pick up features but set it as a shipping option? That could possibly work? 

I don't need to track which sales were made where so that is worth exploring

Message 9 of 15

Hey, I completely understand as my business is in a very similar situation. I've been trying to find any sort of alternative that will work and as much as I also don't want to miss out on online sales while at a market, there are many single items that I can't have selling twice because I would then be letting customers down when I have to tell them their order can't be filled. 

I am curious to know if your thought about a shipping option will he'll for pick up!

Another thought I read somewhere would be to create a modifier that has pick up locations customers can pick from.

Message 10 of 15
Beta Member

Create a modifier that allows the customer to select via click which location is the pick-up point. If your customers are regulars, they will understand what it means - issues may arise if new customers are not sure what it is for, but it really is pretty self explanatory. This would allow you a single inventory list and eliminate the need for several locations (unless you really need that) You may be able to auto-add the modifier to all inventory or only select certain inventory. You will have to work between your regular Square dashboard and the online item list to get that coordinated. We do this with several variables although as Square keeps adding features we've been able to drop some of these work-arounds. You can see what I mean as an example here: https://www.stuffinballoons.com/product/lucky-the-leprechaun-airloonz/1767

The option to add balloons has several selections (these have different prices but you would not need to do that unless the charge is different for different pick up locations) - You could use: Please select your pick up location from the list and be sure to select pick up in the cart: ( pick up at location 1 is Monday; Location 2 is Wednesday).

You'll need to test it since it is a work around, but it should help.

Message 11 of 15
Beta Member

Ah that's a great explaination thank you! 

Ok so I now have two possibilities to work with and test. 

I don't actually need to have multiple locations as such - I only set them up so that I could set up the pick up option, but I didn't know that I couldn't have a single inventory for all three. So actually, it would be better if I could not have multiple locations, and go back to the previous set up. 

I will try and implement asap and I will report back 👍🏻

Many thanks again

Message 12 of 15

What did your final solution end up being?

Message 13 of 15

I am also selling 30 second salsa and i have set up a new location.  I need to know how to load product and prices on the new location.  Also, I use my I phone for point of sale and i need to know how to load it on my phone.

Message 14 of 15
Square Community Moderator

Hi @RayAgenbroad - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

Great Question.

Here are the steps for Multi-location Item Management

1. From the Items section of your online Square Dashboard, click Create Item or click an existing item.
  2. Select applicable locations and save your changes.
  3. If you add an item to a new location, check the current item settings (modifier set, discounts, and taxes).

Learn more here

Feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Message 15 of 15