x

use POS app only for CHARGE payments - can we remove the CASH Amount Tendered buttons

we run two 2-day yard sales for a local charity. Cash is not rung up in the POS only credit cards. We uncovered a problem this month where we think on the first morning the operator rang up 5 trans as CASH instead of CHARGE - they might have gotten the card from the customer and forgot to swipe or swiped and didn't wait for the acknowledgement screen.

Is there a way to block CASH payments or remove the Amt Tendered buttons ? Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

I don't think there'd be any way to eliminate those buttons. I'm not coming up with a good reason for the apparent error made by the person using Square though. Unless you click on Cancel Payment after swiping, a credit card transaction will go through. You can check for canceled payments by visiting https://squareup.com/dashboard/sales/reports/transaction-status. I believe that would show a payment that was canceled and then changed to cash, but I'm not 100% sure. It also seems unlikely that someone would have taken a credit card from a customer and not actually swiped it 5 times in a morning. That seems excessive. Is it possible that the person forgot a few times that cash transactions weren't supposed to go through Square? Good luck in figuring it out!

Message 2 of 4

thanks VanKalkerFarms

There were NO canceled CHARGE transactions at the link you suggested.

I don't think they are canceling the swipe - rather they don't swipe at all or after they start as a CASH payment. 

We do not think this was done on purpose.  I do a training session the day before the yard sale with the volunteers, since it has been 6 months since the last time they used Square POS.   We have two lanes and aren't sure which lane had the problem.  It was not the first transaction for either lane - they did several CHARGE trans then a CASH trans then 25 more CHARGE then 3 more CASH in a row.  Then all is fine the rest of the day and OK the next day as well.

They use an adding machine to calculate the 2, 4, 10 or more items that the custmer has.  They enter the calculator total in the POS as a single entry ($ 219.50).  I am thinking when they get to the Payment screen occasionally they pick the CASH tender buttons and don't swipe the card they have in their hand.  What happens if you swipe a card after entering a CASH tender amount ?

Does it ignore the card swipe ?  SInce the action after you do a real CHARGE swipe can vary (signature or not;  email prompt or not) that on start of the first morning they don't have the routine down yet.  As they go the rest of the day they know what to do ?

Not very comforting

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Thanks for flagging this, @JIM-VA, and appreciate you helping out, @VanKalkerFarms.

Sorry to hear about the trouble you encountered with these sales. At this time, there isn't a way to remove or hide the Cash tender option in the Point of Sale app. If the tender option is in Cash mode, the seller must back out of it in order to be able to complete the payment with a credit card.

Rest assured that I'll be sharing your experience with our Product Liaison team — we want to do all that we can to make selling with credit cards as intuitive as possible.

If you'd like a member of our Support Team to take a deeper dive into these payments, please let them know. Keep in touch as we'll circle back here with any other updates or solutions that may come in handy for situations like these.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 4