x

Can you customize the payment type options in Square Register or Point of Sale?

Is there a way to have a separate Check Payment Type selection rather than having it part of "Other".  We get a lot of check payment and it's a pain to have to click on Other and the select Check - also makes reports not as useful if you have more than one kind of "Other" payments in a session.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 54
2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Can you customize the payment type options in Square Register?

@dblais Update: I just wanted to add here that custom tender options are now available in Square Register (as of version 2.58)! The steps to manage payment types are in this Support Center article

Verified Answer

Re: Separate Check Payment Type

@TCGHS - While I've definitely heard sellers request the ability to customize their tender types, it isn't a feature that we currently offer. For you, it sounds like it would save you a click. For other sellers who don't take checks or cash, it would remove these options from accidentally being clicked. I'll be sure to pass your suggestion along to our product liaison team.

For more details on the feature request process, I'd suggest checking out this existing thread: Feature Requests & the Seller Community. It's a great overview. I'll also be sure to update this thread if this functionality changes in the future.

53 REPLIES 53
Alumni

Hey there @Munchkins_Btq & @mchmarty1

When selecting Other from the tender screen, you will be taken to a secondary option list with CheckGift Card, and Other with the option for a note. 

We will definitely update you if Check moves out from Other and onto the primary tender screen. 👍

Message 22 of 54

This is not solved!

My request was to allow a Checks payment type without going to the Other submenu.  Checks are such a high volume, it needs its own payment type along with cash & credit card

Message 23 of 54

Still hoping this "feature" gets addressed. I shouldn't have to play detective to investigate the forms of payment that get lumped under Other.

Message 24 of 54

Hello @mchmaety1 and @Machiventa, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I will make sure to pass your feedback along to the product team. Currently our only work around is marking checks in the sub category of "Other", as @Russell mentioned earlier. 

If anything changes we will make sure to update this thread. 

Message 25 of 54

Just set up Square Register (bought for two business locations) and learned that we not only can't customize the payment types, but 'checks' falls in a lumped group with 'other'.  Checks should be a primary option - along with cash and credit - on the front page.  But then further, to not be able to break out checks as a separate payment type for cash-out reporting and reconciliation is ridiculous.  We would use 'other' for our house accounts (NET 30 terms), which is how it would be done with a traditional cash register.  Unfortunately, these are the things we wouldn't know until we begin using the system.

Analog registers have had this for the last 50 years, so my mistake was assuming a digital front end would certainly do this. It's a quick and easy coding solution, so why hasn't it been done?  I see people have been requesting this for over a year, and the response is that it's a priority with Square because of all the requests, but it's still not changed.

I know Square was originally for the sole proprietor and 'food truck' type businesses, but with Square register you are reaching deeper into more established retail businesses which have standard retail procedures. Your competitors are certainly offering this VERY BASIC option.  I wish I had known beforehand.  C'mon folks - when will this be resolved?!?!?

Message 26 of 54
Alumni

Hi @dblais - Thanks for this feedback. Since the Register is so new, we are constantly looking for our customers' reactions. We'll share this with our Register product team.

Thanks again for sharing you perspective as a retail business and please continue letting us know what you think! 

Message 27 of 54

I see the request for an option to record checks made as a paymet is huge, as that is what I am requesting. However, I have been following this thread and see that, now over a year, Square has not made an annoucement on when-or even if- they may release that option. I enjoy Square, however, I am noticing more and more on the lack of customer care when it comes to customers concerns. If you want businesses like us to continue using your product, we are asking ways to make it easier to continue with Square, rather switching to another provider. Again, I have been following this for a year and see no progress on this matter at all. I do hope this message makes its way to improving Square and the services they offer, Or I am affriad many, like myself, will not have a choice but to find a more compatable and compromissing provider. 

Message 28 of 54
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this @afoster

How often do you accept checks as a payment form compared to Cash/Card?

Our Register team would be interested in hearing how skipping the selection of "Other" before selecting the Check option of payment is critical to your business.

Can you go through your workflow and business need for this a bit more? 

Message 29 of 54

As much as l love that this post is continuing to garner observation. I would be remiss if l didn't point out that it isn't just a check option we are looking for. We are looking for the ability to customize our payment options. We can customize the items until we are blue in the face. Why not the payment options? I take online orders through multiple delivery services. Orders are prepaid but I like to track the revenue. Currently, I have to choose "Other," then I have to type in which delivery service it is. Then when I'm reconciling, I have to manually search through each "Other" transaction and put everything into a spreadsheet to show which delivery service did what. I don't ever want to take checks, so if you put a permanent check option in the list, I'll be stuck with, yet another, useless payment option. 

Message 30 of 54

At this point it's clear that Square has no intention of changing this, regardless of the requests.  And this response:

. . .interested in hearing how skipping the selection of "Other" before selecting the Check option of payment is critical to your business . . .

This comes across as snarky and condescending to your customers and you should be real careful with that.

I'm not sure of EJ's age, but in the real world, businesses accept - and are paid with - checks.  Younger folks think of payments as being all plastic.  Having to dig deeper, even an extra tap, does become an inconvenience for a fast-moving business.  But more to the point, the fact that 'checks' shows up as 'other' on the reports is confusing, especially for those businesses needing to use 'other' in different ways.  The previous post showed that.  Why even bother having a button for checks if it all gets lumped under 'other' on the reports?  We use 'other' to record sales on house account (NET 30 terms), so we're forced to put checks with cash.  When our customer service rep cashes out, we don't know where a possible error occurred, whether with cash or checks.  And finally, if I was able to customize the payment type with hard plastic keys on a clunky old-school register 30 years ago, how come we can't do that with an all-digital interface in 2018?  To use a contemporary example, what if I start accepting Bitcoin?  I realize Square is a credit card processor and hopes for as many card transactions as possible, but this is valid feedback that Square should really consider if they are trying to grab more market share.  It's a simple solution that would make your system that much more user-friendly, and in a comparative analysis of POS systems, potential customers would find this appealing.

Message 31 of 54

Hey @dblais

I'm sorry if I came off as snarky, that wasn't my intention at all!

Thanks for going into detail about this, as it's a huge help when advocating for everyone. 

Whenever we get these types of requests with heavy seller interest, we try to re-create the situation that the seller is going through in their every day work flow when we try to advocate for the feature to be built. 

When we have really good use cases, we can push our Product teams to re-prioritize things and get them out to you sooner rather than later. 

I asked for the specific example of the original post, as that's what it seems folks are asking for and adding their interest, but it sounds like the ability to customize the payment type and change how it appears on your reports is really the bigger issue here. 

Message 32 of 54

Almost a year and a half later, still getting notifications from this feed.  I won't go into details AGAIN that I accept checks and use store credit and unfortunately have no way to keep these two forms of tender separate instead of lumped together in the "other" payment option.  As I'm contemplating opening my third brick and mortar store, I am already looking into other registers that will work the way I want, rather than how some programmer behind a desk thinks I should run my register.  Disappointing because otherwise I love Square POS but reconciliation and reports have become more work than I wanna deal with when the technology I use should make my life easier. The sentiment expressed by others above is dead accurate. -M

Message 33 of 54

I submitted this request over a year and a half ago, thinking it would be addressed in weeks or maybe, worst case, months - not years.

We do very low volume so it's just a pain in the neck (and illogical) for us not to have checks outside of the "other" category.  I can't imagine if we had a high volume of transactions like some businesses do.  To me, an "other" category should only include items that are very rarely used (gift certificates, etc.)

Square doesn't seem to be very customer centric when such a highly requested feature just sits there.

Which is ok - but I have found if a business isn't concerned about my needs, I quickly become no longer concerned about their's.

Message 34 of 54

Quite frankly, it seems odd that the majority of the square interface is customizable... EXCEPT this piece. I feel like the programming language should be relatively straightforward, by utilizing existing language being used in the system and just modifying it for payment options. I'm just baffled by why this is so difficult a request for such a large, and "electronically advanced" company. Maybe if WE understood the holdup, we wouldn't feel so completely ignored by Square in what seems like a simple request?

Message 35 of 54

Maaayyyybbbbeeee Square is worried that user-customization of the payment options would make it "too easy" is use Square as a free POS system while processing all your CC payments through another merchant service (at a potentially lower net price? )
'Cause really, that's the only reason I can think of why this otherwise very helpful-to-user feature has not been added!

As others have mentioned, there are many scenarios where this is needed, and its not just about saying a half-second extra finger press during checkout, but more about needing to manually delve into the reports to accurately track certain sales. In addition to checks, we have used the "other" for 1) bartering, where a vendor has traded goods for gift cards, 2) online gift card sales, which are currently not integrated with the gift card system so need to be manually loaded through a sale already-paid-for online, and 3) paying an accounts payable with a gift card or store goods.

Message 36 of 54

It definitely seems as if there is some alterior motive to not providing this functionality. It seems like an easy enough feature to create from a programming standpoint. Although, not being a programmer - maybe someone from Square can enlighten us on the whys of why this isn't already a thing. 

We use a delivery service and due to the fees associated with the online payments of said delivery service, we often plug those sales into our square under the Other tab so that we can properly calculate the day's final ACTUAL net sales minus those fees. We use 3 different delivery services, all with different percentages deducted. I literally have to go into Other, pick Other, type in the delivery service's name, then process the transaction manually in order to see my gross sales for the day through my Square report. If I could customize payment options, I could easily make 3 separate options under the Other tab that I would simply press. I could then track gross throughout the day and manage the net properly at the end of the day.

I'm just not understanding why this function is taking SO long to create and intigrate into the system when just about every other function of square is customizable.

Message 37 of 54
Admin

Hi @CitySlicker! I'm sorry that there still isn't a way to customize the Other tender options further, I can see how it's adding time to checkout and how it would be beneficial to your reports. I'll share this feedback with the relevant teams. Changes like this do take time to be developed and implemented but if we have any new news we'll let you know here. 

In the meantime, I'm not sure if you noticed but there were some recent customization updates to checkout. For example, you could move 'Other' to the top of your checkout list and remove any options that you don't use. If you never accept Checks you could remove that option completely. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 38 of 54

We received the email notification about these new tender changes.  When we couldn't get them to work on our system, we called and were told by tech support that they don't work on Square Register.  Strange, but true.

Message 39 of 54
Admin

@dblais Update: I just wanted to add here that custom tender options are now available in Square Register (as of version 2.58)! The steps to manage payment types are in this Support Center article

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 40 of 54

Bringing this thread back to life since we are yet another business in need of other payment types to show up separately in the reports section. We also accept checks and other coupons/vouchers that all get lumped into the same category (other) when running reports. This feature doesn't allow us to distinguish between what was paid for with a check vs. what was paid for using a coupon/voucher without a lengthy and time consuming process. Please address this issue since it is something that has been brought to your attention 2 years ago and seems to be needed by multiple businesses. Thanks.

Message 41 of 54

Hey @bobspet!

We appreciate your feedback on this and we see how this would be beneficial for many businesses. 

I'm going to re-pass this up to our Product team for future improvements and hopefully this will be something we can implement in the near future. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 42 of 54