x

Is there a way to create Appointment categories?

Is there a way to create Appointment categories?

Is there an option to create categories in Appointments? I have a rather long list of services and don't like that my clients have to scroll through everything to get to what they want. If not, is it a feature coming soon?

Thanks!

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to create Appointment categories?

So, there is a way to do this, but it requires embedding the list on your own website. 

In appointments, under online booking, website embed: 

"View Advanced Options" button

"Create New Widget for [your company name]"

Give this widget a name - location, day of the week, etc. Whatever will help you know what is in the list.

You can select what staff are able to be booked - so you could limit it per location

You can select which services are to be included

Save

Now you will see the widget in the "Saved Custom Widget" list.

Click view the online booking page will open displaying only the staff and services you selected. 

You can copy the link URL and either send it to clients, make a link on your business website, or embed the entire widget into your site. You can even embed several widget on the same page of your website to split up categories, dates/days, location, staff, etc, keeping all services on one page, just organized by categories. Or you can devote seperate pages to specific items/staff/etc. I created a google sites (in google drive) website to try this out. works beautifully with a google site. I haven't tried it with any other site yet.  It molds right into your webpage and keeps viewers on your site and not moving to the appointments page and missing all the other content on your website.

I hope this helps those that are really struggling with the need to have this all categorized and organized better. If you have any questions about what I've done here, please ask.

Verified Answer

Re: Appointment Categories?

I see how that would be super useful, especially when you have a wide range of services offered under one roof. We don't have that option right now but we'll announce any updates as soon as they're available. 

166 Comments
Admin

Welcome to Appointments @dovesxo 🎉 and thank you for sharing your request.

I've moved your post to this thread so we can keep the Community organized, and also track interest in service categories for the Appointments Team. Now your post is in this thread you'll be automatically notified of any future updates on this request!

Admin

Hey @ELS123, thank you for checking in on this request. I went to look for an update but there isn't an ETA that I can access and share out for Appointments categories at this time. Sorry for any frustration that this may cause—our Appointments Team is tracking this request.

Please can we get some kind of timeline on this feature? Is it even in the works?

My bookkeeper is so frustrated with appointements coming through as Uncategorized. What Income Account should she match them with? I have to hand translate each on for her. 

Alumni

Hi @HottieHair - Unfortunately, we don't give timelines for feature releases since we don't want to make a promise only to break it. We'll post updates as we receive them so keep an eye out here. 

This is really important, nobody wants to go through a long list of services or products.  If the point of sale has categories, why not the booking portion?  We would greatly appreciate if Square makes this upgrade. It's necessary.

I’ve tried to rearrange the services following the directions via iPad through dashboard on the browser and it won’t let me do anything

@HairByDenice have you tried on a desktop? If I had to guess the Dashboard is in mobile version on your iPad and it won't have this option. 

+1 on this? What is the status. We have TONS of online services. Would be great if it was similiar to categories in "items" on the POS side.

This is a pretty important update. Our accountant is now requesting that we find new software due to the "uncategorized" sales for any and all items coming from appointments. 

It costs us sever hundred $$ per year in extra acocunting fees because she has to go back and audit the categoriess for each sale, as they are taxed differently and affect our cost of goods sold accounting. We're also stuck paying the state sales tax out of pocket, as some categories are taxed and others aren't. This single oversight by Square costs us over $1,000/yr, but no one on the square team seems to be looking into it. This post has been going for several years with no results.