x

Do I have to pair the reader with device each time I use it?

Must I pair the reader with my device everday?  Or is pairing constant?

Message 1 of 19
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi @jgpart and welcome to the Seller Community. We're happy to have you! 👐🏻  As for your question, once you pair your reader with your smartphone or tablet once, your device should remember it.

When I power my reader on, it automatically finds my iPhone and connects. You should only have to re-pair it if you wanted to hook it up to a new device. Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Square

Best Answer

Hi @jgpart and welcome to the Seller Community. We're happy to have you! 👐🏻  As for your question, once you pair your reader with your smartphone or tablet once, your device should remember it.

When I power my reader on, it automatically finds my iPhone and connects. You should only have to re-pair it if you wanted to hook it up to a new device. Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 19

I lost the connection since  I did the upgrade on my iPad! I failed to  Connect my device to my iPad, it’s not working how do I do it again?

Message 3 of 19
Admin

Apologies for the late reply @Ilovesalon220! If the reader isn't pairing with your iPad I recommend these troubleshooting steps for the contactless and chip card reader. If you're still having trouble let me know or get in touch with our Support team

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 19

Does not work. As I said, I have app on 2 different iPhones. Have to pair on each every time after the reader goes to sleep.

Im guessing the reader may be defective.  I’m calling in on Monday to inquire about returning.

Message 5 of 19

Thank you, now this is how it is supposed to work, yet it does not work that way.  I have lost customers spending far to long trying to reconnect the square reader.  I am more than frustrated with this device.  I'm wondering if I need a new device or if it will have the same issue.  

I pair the device when I start the day.  if I don't get a sale in 15 minutes it doesn't reconnect without me having to pair it again.

Message 6 of 19
Square Community Moderator

Hello @majanation

If you're having issues with your Reader disconnecting from your device, there are troubleshooting steps that might help.

In order to better assist, let us know what kind of Reader you're using.

Thank you!

Frances
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 19

The Square Contactless Chip Reader

Message 8 of 19

Sorry for the delay in our response here @majanation

We recommend checking to ensure that both your app and your mobile device are up-to-date. If everything looks good there, you'll want to try the Troubleshooting Steps for the Square Contactless and Chip Reader.  No luck there? Then I recommend reaching out to our support team so they can look into this case with you. When you have a moment reach out via phone by logging into your account and visiting here.

JJ
Message 9 of 19

both are up to date.  what is the link for Troubleshooting Steps for the Square Contactless and Chip Reader?? it doesn't work.

Message 10 of 19

Try this one instead

JJ
Message 11 of 19

tried it for a show.  it stayed somewhat but throughout the day I would have to pair it each time that I wanted it to connect.  It really slowed the checkout process. 

Message 12 of 19

This isn't the experience that you should have @majanation. I recommend checking to make sure that both your app and your mobile device itself are up-to-date. If everything looks good there, you'll want to reach out.

If you haven't already, your best bet is to get in touch with us directly, so that a member of our support team can dig in with you. When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

JJ
Message 13 of 19

My device looks paired (I can see transation screen) but says it's not paired "unpaired" online. I am confused. Should I set it up again?

dm

Message 14 of 19

I have an iPhone 10. Each day I have to pair to reader just like the very first time.  This is too inconvenient for my guys in the field.  They do have have time to go through these steps.

Message 15 of 19
Admin

Hey @jatconstruction- Thanks for joining us here in the Seller Community. 

Sorry you're having some pairing issues. You shouldn't have to pair it every day. I moved your question to this thread so you can check out Helen's answer above that includes troubleshooting steps to try when this happens. Give them a go and hopefully they help!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 16 of 19

I HAVE BEEN USING MY SQUARE POS ON IPAD FOR MONTHS AND HAVE NEVER PAIRED THE DEVICE TO MY SQUARE UP ACCOUNT EVEN THOUGH ALL MY TRANSACTIONS HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFUL.  BUT NOW I AM OPENING ANOTHER LOCATION.  I HAVE UPDATED MY TWO LOCATIONS ONLINE AND HAVE GOTEN THE CODE.  HOW DO I TELL MY EMPLOYEE TO ENTER THIS CODE?  I CANNOT FIND THE HELP ARTICLE.

Laura Poland
Message 17 of 19
Alumni

Hi @goodwater - and welcome back to the Seller Community!

If you have been accepting credit card payments successfully for months, then you have paired the Square Point of Sale app to a piece of Square hardware at some point. It is not possible to accept credit card payments successfully using the Square Point of Sale app without logging into your Square account on a device and using the Square Point of Sale app to accept payments after pairing a piece of hardware to your mobile device.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that you have never paired your device to your account - are you able to elaborate?

In regards to your codes, our Support team would be able to look into this with you! When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Valentina
Message 18 of 19

I'm currently also having this issue. I've just gotten a new Square contactless + chip card reader, and every time it goes to sleep I have to unpair and re-pair it to get it to work. Sometimes it doesn't even re-pair properly and I have to restart my phone to get them to see each other. This is hugely frustrating, haven't even been able to use the thing for a single customer yet.

I've tried all the troubleshooting steps, updated my app... nothing.

I miss my magstripe - is there no magstripe reader that works for an Android phone without a jack?

Message 19 of 19