x

Can you get a count of items on an open ticket?

Lets say I have a group that wants to pay for 100 drinks. I can ring the drinks in as they are ordered and that will give me a total cost on the ticket. Short of counting each drink, how can I get a count on the drinks so I know how many they have left.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Admin

Hey @cpdowns, welcome and thanks for bringing this up!

To be sure I'm on the same page, is this happening where the group pays for all of the drinks upfront? If so, there isn't a way to retroactively track the number of drinks they have left within the app. In that case, you would have to count manually.

If you have an open ticket and you're adding drinks as you go, you should be able to keep an eye on the count by viewing the ticket: Tickets > select ticket from below Your Tickets > view item/drink name > then refer to "x [number]" to the right of the item/drink name.

Does that help? If I'm missing the mark or if you have any other questions about this, please don't hesitate to reply. We'll take another look! 🍻

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 9
Admin

Actually, I think I see what you mean: if you add multiple items, then save them to the ticket—you'll get an automated count. If you add an item, then save and come back later to add another item (even if it's the same drink)—they get split up and are not grouped together with a number automatically. Is that what's causing the added work? If so, please let me know and I'll be sure to flag this with our Point of Sale team. Appreciate your patience as I took a closer look into this!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 3 of 9

Also, can anything be done to correct the app from slowing down when there are large tickets?

Message 4 of 9

Yes, the second post is the issue.

Message 5 of 9
Admin

Got it. Thanks for confirming, @cpdowns. I'll raise the counting issue to our Point of Sale team and circle back as soon as I have more clarity with that.

Regarding the slowness, that does sound a bit strange. For starters, can you give these troubleshooting tips a run-through? Those usually clear up performance issues right away. If that doesn't help—any chance you have a bit more information on what number you generally notice the delay starting to occur?

️ Tom | he/him
Message 6 of 9

The ap and iPad are up to date, so that is not an issue. I have reset iPad and reinstalled the ap a few times. I have an event venue and many times the hosts will run a tab. These tabs can have several hundred items on them. This is when I experience the slow response. I even experience this if I try to add items from another device to the same ticket. It is more like my account slows down rather than the device.

Message 7 of 9
Admin

Thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot and for this additional information—sorry that didn't resolve. I've escalated this issue as well and will let you know as soon as I have more information. Appreciate your patience as we look into this!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 8 of 9
Admin

Thank you for your patience, @cpdowns. After raising this issue to our Point of Sale Team, I have a few updates.

Regarding the issue that you pointed out where items are not automatically calculated (or "rolled up")—this is intentional. The reason why tickets are set to behave as they currently do is for when a ticket may send to a kitchen for printing. These rollups only occur for identical items as they're added to a ticket, each time you save them.

Regarding the performance issues for your larger tickets, we are tracking this but do not have a timeline for when improvements may be released. For now, you may want to try to create smaller ticket sizes, if possible.

I hope that this helps with more clarity for now—and I apologize that we do not have a timeline available for these kinds of improvements. Please don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up. We'll keep watch for any updates that may help make your sales more streamlined and circle back to this thread.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 9 of 9