x

Why won’t my Square reader always work with my iPad but will with my phone?

Many times my transaction won’t complete on my iPad but will go right through on my phone. Why?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

I'll need more details to help.  what reader are you using? what iPad and what version of iOS? what phone are you using?  what is the error that is occurring?

Message 2 of 7

My square chip reader recently stopped working on my iPad (fifth generation), iOS 12.2. It works fine on my iPhone 5. I've tried all the trouble shooting steps but my iPad is not accepting cards by either chip or swipe. There is no error message. The connected icon is not displaying, but, when I remove the reader the disconnected icon does display. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Message 3 of 7
Admin

Hey @barbarazaretsky,

Thanks for flagging this and for taking the time to troubleshoot. Sorry for the frustration. Is your iPad set up with or without Square Stand and were you able to get through all the troubleshooting tips lint his article: My Reader won't accept Credit Cards?

If that doesn't clear things up, please get in touch with our Customer Success Team and they'll be able to take a deeper dive into your settings.

Otherwise, don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 7

Hi Tom, thanks for your reply. I checked out the link “my reader won't accept credit cards” and it looks like this info is for contactless + chip readers. My reader is the plug in chip reader not contactless + chip. Any info on why this type of reader would suddenly just stop working with iPad but still work with iphone? (See explanation in previous post). Thanks. 

Message 5 of 7
Admin

I apologize for missing that! I know this may sound silly—but is there any chance there's any debris in the headset jack of your iPad or do headphones work if you plug them in? I've seen that cause performance issues in the past.

I've also opened up a case for you with our Customer Success Team and requested that they take a closer look into your settings. They'll follow up with you at the email address that's tied to your account with more details ASAP.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 7

Hi Tom, headphones do work in the jack. Hope to hear back from Customer Success Team. Thank you.

Message 7 of 7