x

Customer name not on payment notification

When I receive a payment notification that a customer has made a purchase or received a refund, it only shows me the amount paid or refunded. I don't know which customer to attribute this notification to. Is there a way to add the customer's name to a payment notification?

Message 1 of 17
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

you need to make sure that for every customer you have new or old you add them to your square account as your customer with the address email first and last name etc you don't need there birth month it does offer that but you don't need to do that. so then when you go to charge you pull the customers name up if your using phone, or tablet each will be different. or a pos system but as I said you will go to the sidebar and click customer that you want then add the amount and hit charge and that's how you do it. or you can do invoices I set mine up either the night before or the morning of. own a cleaning company so I am able to know the charge amount by the hours ill be there. and then when it comes time to charge them an invoice is already made for them and i just pull there name up in the invoice app on my phone and hit charge. an i also have settings set for invoices to be sent out on same day cleaning is done if they dont pay that day it gets sent out 3 days later then it will send out every day as a reminder. sorta annoying. But you have an option to send an invoice out right away which i do then another option if they dont pay same day it gets sent 3 days later.  and then you will have it saved in your account under invoices. payments made by customers. that's where you will find all the payments you have received or on the dashboard home screen it will show you all the payments made, any outstanding payments etc. but make sure to add each person as a customer so they get email updates, discounts, they can buy gift cards, notices when needed etc. 

View Best Answer >

Message 13 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Super Seller

Message 2 of 17

The information in the article seems to pertain to in-person sales, which I'm not doing. These are online sales only. I get a payment notification, but no indication within the notification of the customer's name.

Message 3 of 17
Admin

Hey @NYSAA, thanks for bringing this up.

You should be able to access the customer information associated with the notification by viewing the corresponding payment from the online Square Dashboard: Orders or Transaction tabs. Does that help surface the details you need?

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 17

No. When I pull up a transaction, it says  Paid By: Unknown Name

Message 5 of 17
Admin

Hmm—thanks for checking on that. Is this happening with one or many payments in your account?🤔 I would suggest sending the payment details to our Customer Success Team. They'll be able to take a deeper dive into specifics and offer more insight. Hope this helps get you in the right direction.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 17

Hi,

did you ever get a solution to this problem? I am having the same issue...

Thanks!

Jerry

Message 7 of 17

Hi, if I send an email invoice to someone and they use their credit card to make payment, is there a way where I can see the name on the credit card?

Message 8 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Hey @tacticaltrading,

I moved your post to an existing thread where this question has been answered above by @VanKalkerFarms.

Customer's names or other information has to be added by you to the directory either before or after the sale since their personal information is privileged to their bank otherwise. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 17

Is there a way for me to figure out who name is connected to a card number not the name that I put on the invoice when I send it when the actual name that’s on the card?

Message 10 of 17

Hi @TlcTreats  - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed this topic as well. We merge duplicate conversations together to keep like comments in one place, and to make it easier for others to find the thread in the future. 

Please see the reply from one of our Square Sellers, @Kandbcleaning18 which has been marked as the Best Answer to this question

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 11 of 17

We are a special-interest club with members who are entered as customers.  The members pay for various workshops, actvities, etc.  Sometimes the reports show the name of the customer/member & sometimes the report only shows "unknown".  How do I enter the transactions to ensure that the reports ALWAYS show the customer name?

Message 12 of 17

Best Answer

you need to make sure that for every customer you have new or old you add them to your square account as your customer with the address email first and last name etc you don't need there birth month it does offer that but you don't need to do that. so then when you go to charge you pull the customers name up if your using phone, or tablet each will be different. or a pos system but as I said you will go to the sidebar and click customer that you want then add the amount and hit charge and that's how you do it. or you can do invoices I set mine up either the night before or the morning of. own a cleaning company so I am able to know the charge amount by the hours ill be there. and then when it comes time to charge them an invoice is already made for them and i just pull there name up in the invoice app on my phone and hit charge. an i also have settings set for invoices to be sent out on same day cleaning is done if they dont pay that day it gets sent out 3 days later then it will send out every day as a reminder. sorta annoying. But you have an option to send an invoice out right away which i do then another option if they dont pay same day it gets sent 3 days later.  and then you will have it saved in your account under invoices. payments made by customers. that's where you will find all the payments you have received or on the dashboard home screen it will show you all the payments made, any outstanding payments etc. but make sure to add each person as a customer so they get email updates, discounts, they can buy gift cards, notices when needed etc. 

Message 13 of 17
Beta Member

Hi - we are using the Square Stand for Contactless and Chip (newly purchased).

Question being: our customers that "tap" to pay do not subsequently show up in our database or on the transaction. Instead of a first and last name it appears as "Unknown Name" which is really bad for our records and customer database. We have dozens of "Unknown Name" in our system.

The only way I can actually document who the customer is is if I personally know them and click "add to sale". Obviously I don't want to ask everyone who taps to pay their first and last name, etc.

I don't want to discourage people from using the tap feature but it's increasingly frustrating that we don't know who the person actually is. Is this a glitch in our system or is this a feature of tap that the buyer's name doesn't register since its not a chip/swipe? Thanks!

Message 14 of 17

Hi, again! 🙂 

This is another feature request, mostly because of the way that tap payments "behave." When a customer pays with tap, even the credit card numbers are masked from us (you will notice the last four of the credit card are different on the receipt for tap payments). That being said, we are unable to gather the information you're looking for because of this. 

I've merged your post to another thread where @Kandbcleaning18 offers a solution that's worked for them - adding customers to the sale in the moment. That will be a surefire way to get their names on your sales. I know you stated you don't want to ask for their first and last name, but you can try asking for just the first name for the time being. 

I hope this helps. Thanks!

AshleyK
Message 15 of 17

i did an in-person sale, and didn't get the customer name.  can i call square support and obtain that information?

Message 16 of 17

Hey @macaram and welcome to the Community!

As @VanKalkerFarms mentioned, it needs to be manually added before or after the sale.

Customer's information is privileged to their bank and isn't something we're able to disclose ourselves. You'd need to add them into the Directory manually for names to show.

Ashley C
Message 17 of 17