x

Can we use text messaging instead of email for Square Marketing?

Can we use text messaging for marketing instead of e-mail? Most of my customers give phone # only.

Message 1 of 391
1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Can we use text messaging instead of email for Square Marketing?

📳Hello Everyone!📳

I'm reaching out to those who've posted to this thread as we're hosting a question & answer session with the product team for Text Message Marketing on Wednesday, February 17th.

Have questions about setting up or feedback on how it's going so far? Please head over to this thread and let us know: Live Q&A: Ask us anything about Text Message Marketing!

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

We know you've been asking for it, and we're excited to announce Text Message Marketing (SMS) in the US, which is now available as an a la carte subscription that allows you to collect customer phone numbers and send them marketing-related text messages.

You can get started by visiting Text Message Marketing on on the Square Dashboard. 

Included are automated campaigns and ‘manual blast’ campaigns, where you can offer coupons, announce sales, promote events, and more. 

While Text Message Marketing can be found and used within Square Marketing in Dashboard, you DO NOT need to be subscribed to Square Marketing to use Text Message Marketing.

Square Marketing users will likewise need to onboard to Text Message Marketing, and will be billed separately for text message use.

What does the Text Message Marketing do?

Opt-in Collection

• Build a list of customers to text BEFORE you pay a cent for the product
  • Collect opt-ins via your point-of-sale (or via Loyalty enrollment)
  • Text customers from a phone number unique to your business. This number will also allow customers to sign up via Text to Join, and can be promoted via in-store, online, or wherever else you’d like

Manual Campaigns

• Draft a message and send to customers, instantly*
  • Offer a coupon, or include a link to an announcement, event, or online sale (which we automatically shorten to save characters)
  • Send up to 600 characters per message, or 250 if emojis are used. This will separate out into up to 4 texts, BUT we’ll only be charging for one ‘message’ per customer per campaign.

*Note: Texts are sent in 15 minute increments, so if you draft and send a text at 2:05pm, the text would go out at 2:15. Texts can only be sent during business hours in the merchant's time zone (i.e. 9-5). After 5pm, merchants can schedule for texts that will be sent the next day.

Automated Campaigns

• Automatically text a customer with a qualifying event (similar to automated email marketing)
  • General campaigns: birthday collection + birthday reward, lapsed customer. 
  • Loyalty-related campaigns like reminding about Loyalty rewards, and celebrating Loyalty anniversaries

What are the limitations?

Feature

Current Limitation

Texting: General

No two-way texting (You cannot yet respond to Buyers by text, Sellers will not see Buyer responses)

Texting: General

No picture message (MMS)

Opt-in: List Building

No phone number list upload 

Opt-in: Loyalty Consent Specifics

Due to the current Loyalty consent language (which permits ‘loyalty-related communication’), Loyalty sellers will be able to send automated messages to  nearly all of their Loyalty enrollees. 

Seller Use Case

Sellers who sell adult products, alcohol, tobacco, firearms, or CBD/cannabis are subject to a standard called SHAFT. This a self-regulation by mobile carriers that can block messages around these topics. 

What is the pricing?

Pricing is tiered pay-as-you-go: at the end of the month, a seller will be charged the tier corresponding with how many messages they sent. They will not be charged for months where they did not send any messages. We do not have established custom pricing eligibility or rates established for launch.

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage

View Best Answer >

Message 388 of 391
390 REPLIES 390
Admin

@Finesse  Thanks for your interest! Right now it's just available in the US. We don't have any timetable for expansion to Australia, but I will share your request with our product team.  

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 316 of 391

@Howard Hi-I tried signing up for text messaging marketing and I get a pop saying "SMS campaigns are available only to paid subscribers of both Square Marketing and Square Loyalty."

I do have a loyalty account and I have used marketing campaigns before. If there something I'm missing? Thank you

Message 317 of 391
Admin

@bafranco1 Looking at your account! 

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 318 of 391
Admin

@bafranco1 Thanks for reaching out! It looks like you may have cancelled your subcription to Square Marketing. 

Once you start again, you will be able to send SMS messages and we can add you to the beta. 

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 319 of 391
Beta Member

How do I sign up for the text marketing?

Message 320 of 391
Alumni

Set up instructions are outlined in this best answer! @RSDS752

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 321 of 391

Hi. I am interested in joining/signing up to use Square's text message marketing beta. Please let me know when it's available.

Thank you!

Message 322 of 391
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your voice here in support of the beta, @sip2020! We will get Howards eyes on your account and be back with you soon. Cheers! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 323 of 391
Admin

@sip2020 I will follow via email. 

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 324 of 391

interested in joining the text message marketing beta

[personal information redacted]

Message 325 of 391
Admin

To join this program, You need to be subscribed to Square Marketing and Square Loyalty

Once you have signed up for a free trial let me know.

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 326 of 391

This is a game changer especially as businesses start to open back up.  This would make the process so much more seamless.  Definitely interested in this beta! I attempted to follow the instructions to activate a text campaign, however, there are no options provided to opt in or activate the marketing subscriptions. 

Message 327 of 391
Admin

You will need to sign up for the free trial of Square Marketing before joining the Beta. 

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 328 of 391

We are subscribed to Square Marketing and Square Loyalty - please advise on next steps. 

Message 329 of 391
Admin

@nestburger Looks like you are subscribed to the Beta! 

To send Text Message Marketing campaigns:

1. Visit Marketing in your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Create Campaign and select Text Message.
  3. Select Offer a Coupon under Blast Campaigns
  4. If it’s your first time, select a business name that the text will be sent from (to change this in the future, go to your Settings tab).
  5. Edit the message and set the details of the coupon you wish to send (a coupon is required).
  6. Review and then select Send Now or Schedule to send the text later.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6746-blast-text-message-marketing

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 330 of 391
Beta Member

Is there plans to allow Square users to create free form text message campaigns?  The templates are good for now, but being able to highlight certain products, or offer expiring item discounts would be a big plus.

Message 331 of 391

I would like the feature to collect my client numbers for text marketing campaigns.

Message 332 of 391
Beta Member

I' d like to be added to the beta program, please. Thank you. 

Message 333 of 391

Interested

Message 334 of 391
Beta Member

Hi Howard, I am interested in joining the Beta group for text message marketing.  

Ty,

Peter

Message 335 of 391

Hi, Howard. I know I can direct message my clients via email. Instead of email, can I direct message my clients via text? Now, with covid, we have to let our clients know when they are allowed to come in, as well as them let us know when they have arrived. A text would be way easier vs email. Not all of my clients use or check email either. Its easier to direct message a guest to let them know we have an earlier opening available or to inform them of time sensitive issues.  I currently have wix voice to have my guest call to make appointments if they can't book online, I can text them through there, but something on here would be way easier. 

Message 336 of 391