x
Alumni

2017 Reflections & Book Recommendations for 2018

As 2017 is coming to a close, we’re having a lot of discussions at Square about 2018 goals and planning. I personally don’t like to reserve goal setting for one time of year (if you’re going to change/start doing something in May, go for it! Don’t wait until January to make resolutions.), but the end of the year can be a powerful time to set intention for new initiatives. Equally important, you can spend time reflecting on what you’ve accomplished and what you can improve for the new year.

Probably not unrelated, I’m also a forever student of life. This means that I value endless learning with books! I try to read as much as possible for new processes, tips and tricks, and general life advice.

I wanted to share some of my favorite books from 2017 that have helped me grow both professionally and personally. Some I’ve gotten around to, others are on my list for the new year (whoops).

I’d love to hear you book recommendations. Did you find some valuable reads in 2017? What books are on your list for 2018? I’ve linked my picks from local bookstores across the country since we should all be supporting local business 😄

Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World by Tim Ferris

I’m a strong believer in mentorship, but mentors can come in so many shapes and forms. Many of us think of mentors as a strong one on one relationship. However, I’ve found some of my most powerful “mentors” come from reading. I have found tips from highly successful people in many different forums. Tim Ferris helpfully compiled some of these tips in his latest book. Sounds like the perfect way to pick up some new best practices.

In the Company of Women: Inspiration and Advice from over 100 Makers, Artists, and Entrepreneurs by Grace Bonney

Not only do the women featured in this visually appealing book produce some amazing crafts and businesses, but also they offer sage wisdom from personal and professional endeavors. I’m always a sucker for a beautiful coffee table style book, but this one is doubled in value with its informative and inspirational content.

Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth

I’m sure many of you are familiar with the drive it takes to run a business. I like to call this drive grit - how willing are you to stick with something to find success? Angela Duckworth wonderfully discusses passion and perseverance, important to tap into when the going gets tough!

Competing Against Luck: The Story of Innovation and Customer Choice by Clayton M. Christensen

I actually found out about this book at Square. Many Squares, including myself, like to adopt the mindset presented in the book that frames your business/project/task as a job your customer hired you to do. It’s an important mentality to adopt in this increasingly automated world that can sometimes lack empathy!

The Gratitude Diaries: How a Year Looking on the Bright Side Can Transform Your Life by Janice Kaplan

My personal goal this year was to approach everything with more gratitude. It worked really well for a month and then I kind of forgot about it. I’m going to be rereading this book that Janice Kaplan wrote in late 2016 to re-inspire myself. The best part is that Kaplan approaches this serious topics with humility and humor.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

Thanks for the recommendations, some interesting topics to review. 

I'd suggest "How To Think" by Alan Jacobs.

Jacobs suggests most suffer from actively assembling our lives in a way to can avoid thinking. We establish routines, hold to rituals, feed established traditions and build social groups around mutual interest. While natural, for sure, each of these behaviors allow us to avoid thinking. Instead, we respond in a way we've already decided to respond.  Jacobs uses examples from the NBA, Politics, Religion, Facebook and Acedemics, among others, to describe how often our behaviors allow us to argument as a means to avoid honest considertation and thinking well.

It could be said, How to Think is more focused on thinking as it relates to how we craft opininions and subsequently engage with others. In the end, Jacobs addresses a vicious habit in our culture of using argument as war rather than a method to arrive at a shared understanding and educating eachother throught the dialogue.  

Happy trails in 2018. Think well. Engage well.

Take care of yourself and, as life provides, someone else too.
Message 2 of 3
Alumni

I love this! Thank you for sharing @Anthem. I'm definitely going to have to pick up this one. 

Message 3 of 3