x

Best Square product for artists' co-op?

I've used Square for years for my own (very) small business, but I'm also part of an artist's co-op with over 20 artists. Right now we do everything manually: paper receipts, adding up all sales in a spreadsheet, writing checks out to each artist, etc. It's a huge amount of work. 

I'm pushing for us to switch over to some point-of-sale system in Square, but I'm worried about the cost and the logistics. Right now each artist has a letter code, and they assign a number to their product. So when we sell items, we write down the letter and number code on the paper reciept. There is a giant inventory notebook where artists write down every single item, and we also have to look in the notebook and write down the date of sale for each product. 

I need recommendations on how we could manage this using a Square product. I was thinking about using barcodes, and then each artist could be a "category" when we enter items into inventory? Another factor is that most of our artists are older and some struggle with technology. That's why I thought a barcode reader might be easiest. 

But if just the software is $60 a month, and we also have to buy all the hardware, I worry about being able to cover this as a non-profit. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

I don't think you need to use Square for Retail, the paid monthly service, and can get by fine with Square POS, which is free to use and you just pay the credit card processing fees.

setting up categories for each artist is a good way to be able to run reports to see sales.

I think barcodes is adding a step that will just complicate things.  you can basically just transfer over your items letter and number system and continue to use that.  in Square POS on the grid display, you would have a button for each artist and that would pull up all the items associated with said artist that you can then add to the shopping cart.

so it would be a button [T Smith] that you would press that would bring up all the items starting with TSxxxxx

Message 2 of 2