x

Biz info that shows to client's credit card company

Hello! yesterday, a charge I made using manual cc entry on my phone was denied by my client's credit card/bank. The reason was suspected fraud because the name that showed as the entity billing the charge was GoSq KA.   It seems that it used to be my company name that showed up, and that appeared on clients' billing statements.    Is that accurate? Or does it always show as GoSq KA?  

Thanks for your insights!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

@kkrupka From what I understand, Square is the merchant of record, and the transaction will always show as SQ *<business name>.  I do think the business name is truncated at times.  I am not sure if the online store has a different nomenclature versus the app etc.

I have generally found that any "keyed" transaction aka manual entry or card not present will represent the highest chance of fraud rate etc.  The best advice is to always swipe or dip cards if you can.  Most often this has little to do with square and more to do with the algorithms and policies of the card holders bank.  This may not answer your question, but just wanted to give you a little insight into how the behind the scenes works for me.  There are a ton of variables that can trigger things like this.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 5

Thanks, Donnie! Appreciate your thoughts. Agreed re swiping the card, but I serve clients by phone and don't have a card present to swipe.  It does sound like the "GoSq" at the start of what showed was the Square designation, and that the Ka was a truncated version of my business name, which is my name, which starts with Ka.  Thanks again and all best!

Message 3 of 5
Super Seller

@kkrupka Low tech way to test these things is just set up a 1$ item and swipe your card and check out what shows up to you.  I like real world tests sometimes to see what really goes on especially when I get new hardware.

All the best!

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 4 of 5

Good idea. Thanks! I've been using Square for years and never seen this happen before, so wasn't aware anything new was going on. And this is a repeat client, not someone new. And, probably good to check periodically anyway! Thanks 🙂

Message 5 of 5