x

Can i see when an employee clock in from the phone app

Is there a way to see if an employee clocked in and out from the phone app and not from the POS? I have a suspicion that one of my employees is clocking in before getting to the restaurant and I didn't realize the setting for the app was on. (I just deactivated it).

Message 1 of 29
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there and welcome to the Seller Community! This is an amazing question, but you are right, there is currently no way to view the physical location of where you employees are clocking in and out. Disabling the employee's ability to log into the POS app with their own email/password is the best, first start, and also making sure they are signed out of it on their phone will help secure that the iPad is the only place they can do it. 

Do you have security cameras in your store? It may be worth checking those out to see if they are physically in the location or having someone clock in for them if they share pass codes with each other. Another option is starting to track employee sales to see when the first sale is actually made. 

I hope these suggestions help and let me know if you have any other questions! 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Best Answer

Hi there and welcome to the Seller Community! This is an amazing question, but you are right, there is currently no way to view the physical location of where you employees are clocking in and out. Disabling the employee's ability to log into the POS app with their own email/password is the best, first start, and also making sure they are signed out of it on their phone will help secure that the iPad is the only place they can do it. 

Do you have security cameras in your store? It may be worth checking those out to see if they are physically in the location or having someone clock in for them if they share pass codes with each other. Another option is starting to track employee sales to see when the first sale is actually made. 

I hope these suggestions help and let me know if you have any other questions! 

AshleyK
Message 2 of 29

how do you disable the employee's ability to log into the POS app with their own email/password?

Message 3 of 29
Beta Member

That's disappointing to learn because a Square sales agent told me this would be possible. Not having employees clock-out from there phones is a non-starter because a number of my employees travel to various job sites/shops as part of their daily work. Also not all employees are sales oriented. 

Yes we do have cameras at our locations but that is only half of our business. Thanks for the reply.

Message 4 of 29

This is such a basic functionality that Square should be building out, and has had plenty of time to do so. I agree with ECOCARCAFE below that it shouldn't be all or none for this feature. Some employees should be allowed to while others not. And, at a minimum, Square should show the location when they clock in from the app (but should also confirm location if they do it on POS - why not?). The very cheap timeclock system we used before Square (Timestation) did all of this.

As for looking back on cameras or checking against sales history, that is SUCH a waste of time! This should take seconds to confirm in the spot where you want the information, not many minutes of searching through different areas or tech. Very frustrating that Square doesn't consider more variety of their customers' needs.

Message 5 of 29

Hello, @kwj Welcome to the Seller Community 

Thank you for taking the time to share your interest in this feature. I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Message 6 of 29

It used to be I could see where the GPS location was when an EE clock in and out on their phone.  Why is that no longer available?

Message 7 of 29

Hey @Bodacious

I appreciate your post in the Community. I went ahead and moved your post to a thread where another seller had a similar question about employee GPS. 

Check out the Best Answer by AshleyK!

Kassi
Message 8 of 29

Hey Kassi, 

Still no answer to the location question, we use this feature daily and need it back badly. 

I currently have a msg into the API dept awaiting an answer. Do you have any insight ???

Brad

Message 9 of 29

@BradHMSV

Currently, the feature you're asking about is a Feature Request. I don't have an update on this just yet. Once there is more information - one of our Community Moderators will post a Product Update to this thread. 

To address your questions, @tkduvy

You will want to adjust the permissions under the employee's profile on your Dashboard. Check out this link on how to do so.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Message 10 of 29

Can you be more specific.  I went through the link you referenced to adjust the employee's profile and nothing talks about seeing where they clock in and clock out.

Message 11 of 29

Hey there, @Bodacious

Check out this Support Article that has more information on Time Cards and how you can take a look at the timecards for your employees. 

Please let me know if you were looking for something different. 

Thank you! 

Kassi
Message 12 of 29
Beta Member

You had this feature, but now I can't find it.

Where did it go?

Square screenshot of employee location - BLURRED.png

Message 13 of 29

how do you deactivate it?

Message 14 of 29

How did you deactivate the employee's ability to clock in and out from their own device?

Message 15 of 29

unfortunately, i have not received an answer on this. 

Message 16 of 29

@RVO and @tkduvy the only way to prevent an employee from clocking in/out on their own device is to remove their "mobile point of sale" abilities. That is, remove their personal email/password employee log in. They can still retain their passcode and then they will only be able to log into the register at your store or restaurant and clock in there. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 17 of 29

@AshleyK Thanks for the answer, but I was actually wondering how to Remove their email/password employee login. I’m having trouble finding that particular feature/setting.

Thanks

Message 18 of 29

@RVO Sorry for misunderstanding! You can disable this under Team > Permissions on the Square Dashboard. Select the role you would like to edit (It should say "Mobile Points of Sale" next to it), click "Continue," and then remove the check mark next to that role. I have a screenshot below of what this will look like.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

@tkduvy I am sorry that this is a frustrating experience for you. You're more than welcome to cancel your subscriptions at any time if you feel they are not serving your needs from the Square Dashboard. We encourage all of our sellers to make decisions that better fit their business, so if you feel that a physical form of time tracking is a better fit, then I encourage you to seek that out. I hope you find a solution that works well for your company in the meantime. 

AshleyK
Message 19 of 29

@AshleyK We have never had Mobile Points of Sale checked. All our employees fall under Team Permissions. An employee demonstrated to me she could clock in and out from the Square Team app regardless. Just to be clear, we’re trying to disable clocking in/out from employees’ devices. 

Message 20 of 29

@RVO @tkduvy 

Go to Timecards / Settings / Team App. Then uncheckmark the option to "Clock in/out from team app: Allow team members to use the team app to clock in and out."

They can still get into the app to see their timecards, but can't actually clock in (create a timecard) from their phones.

Message 21 of 29