x
Beta Member

Deposit reviewed??

Hi! 
I took a $1020.00 deposit today, ran  it as I usually do, at work, through Square, for a event, this weekend, and Square immediately stopped my instant transfer to review my acct. 

I have been with Square for YEARS! Never even had 1 charge back at all in the last 6 plus years. Not 1!

I went to transfer the money to place the order for supplies for the event, and Square has locked up all transfers, which will also include, all of tomorrows sales from my day of selling at my coffee shop. 

I am Not happy! 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

@maryanngregg Do you regularly take large deposits like this?  or is this much bigger than usual?  The standard advice is look for the e-mail and make sure to follow any instructions or provide any information needed. 

The next question is, was this an in person deposit?  or did you do it over the phone or via invoice?  If in person, did you dip tap/dip the card?

If this type of transaction is out of the ordinary and you also try to instant transfer the money it could throw up a red flag as #1 unusual activity #2 high risk for not in person transactions/chargeback  #3 value of the transaction means more risk #4 pattern resembles how someone would commit fraud if they compromised your account.

I think doing the instant transfer may be the kicker (and all of this is conjecture) unless you had done this many times before.

Best bet is call customer service.

I realize you are very frustrated by this, and to you and anyone else reading this, a valuable piece of advice:  undercapitalization kills businesses.  I have seen quotes that 90%+ of new small businesses fail to undercapitalization...you just don't have enough money on hand to weather the ups and downs.

Right now in your specific situation, $1000 is make or break you.  What if your coffee machine went kaput?  What if you had a water heater leak out? etc. etc. etc.?  I am saying this from experience and to hopefully help you take a step back and look at where you are at.  If you can't do the catering, just say no.  Build up your reserves and take the business when you are ready.  A missed opportunity is not a missed opportunity if you take the business and it kills your business and reputation.  I say this from a place of love and hope that you can see this as a point where you can focus on what is most important in your business and relieve yourself from the stress and be happy.

But I get it, this sucks!

D

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 2