x

Feature Request: Ask customer for preferred name

Getting a customer's name from their credit card is a great feature but not everyone goes by the name shown on their card. I would love to be asked to confirm or change the name during the checkout process before it is used by the business. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi @adam_m and welcome to the Seller Community! 👋

Due to card processing regulations and for security purposes, the name printed on the card will always be required for manual entries. We definitely understand where you're coming from with this nonetheless and if anything changes with those regulations, we will definitely let you know. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 5

I don't think you understand what I'm asking. I understand that the name present on the card for processing is necessary. Businesses often use this name to call out when

Message 3 of 5

(sorry, hit post too early)

an order is ready for a customer. Many customers don't go by the name present on the card and don't want that name called out in public. 

Message 4 of 5
Square Community Moderator

@adam_m Oh really sorry for the confusion there! I see what you're saying now. The way you could do this is to add the customer's preferred name to the sale at time of checkout. If you select the down arrow at the top of the Checkout screen, it will give you the option to add in a name and to the directory for future sales as well. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 5