x

Feature Request: Can I switch the item on a completed Square Online website purchase?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Can I switch the item on an online store completed purchase?

Someone bought an item in my online store for $197.  They meant to buy something else that is the same price. Is there any way I can just switch the item listed on their order, instead of issuing a refund and having the buy again?

Message 1 of 8
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can I switch the item on an online store completed purchase?

It is possible to edit an invoice that's already been sent with Square, so long as your customer has not made a payment on the invoice yet, @Auri. I'm not sure if that helps in the meantime, but we'll be sure to update this thread if something changes in regards to the ways you are able to manage the fulfillment of Square Online orders. Thanks for the extra feedback here!

1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@KellySwanson You can't really edit a transaction like that.  You can always substitute the correct item, but the safest way is to issue a refund and have them repay for the correct item to avoid any kind of chargeback situation.  I would document clearly (e-mail) if you switch anything so the customer acknowledges the substitution.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

@KellySwason You won't be able to edit their order details I'm afraid!  However, you could ship them the correct item and then manually update your inventory for each item from your Item Libray. That would certainly save time for you and your customer. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 8
Beta Member

We second this question.
Our customer ordered the wrong colour item and we cancelled it thinking we could just manually add another item to the order.
Now we are not sure how the customer can order the correct item without paying for shipping twice?
Can you please add this as a requested feature? 🙂

Message 3 of 8
Alumni

If a customer makes a mistake when placing an order, it is standard practice among online presences to cancel the order for the customer, and ask the customer to place a new order for the items they meant to order. I know it's always super helpful when online retailers are able to help cancel an order for me! Your customer shouldn't need to pay for shipping twice if you refund the first order for them.

I can definitely pass this feedback along - d​​​​o you have any examples of other web hosts that offer this kind of feature, @Auri?

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 8
Beta Member

Thanks Valentina, 

The issue is that they ordered something we had incorrect inventory of so it was our mistake that they were able to purchase the wrong item so it would make sense that the we should be able to amend the order from our end to remove any inconvenience to the customer.
We usually use Shopify for online sales and this was one of our first online orders with square. In shopify you can edit an invoice and request the balance from the customer via an email that is generated by the app.

Message 5 of 8
Alumni

It is possible to edit an invoice that's already been sent with Square, so long as your customer has not made a payment on the invoice yet, @Auri. I'm not sure if that helps in the meantime, but we'll be sure to update this thread if something changes in regards to the ways you are able to manage the fulfillment of Square Online orders. Thanks for the extra feedback here!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 8
Super Seller

Best Answer

@KellySwanson You can't really edit a transaction like that.  You can always substitute the correct item, but the safest way is to issue a refund and have them repay for the correct item to avoid any kind of chargeback situation.  I would document clearly (e-mail) if you switch anything so the customer acknowledges the substitution.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 7 of 8

I second this! It's not a great UX! I would like to amend the size of a product ordered, and add another product after the customer has requested, and send them a payment link for the balance. 'cancelling the order, asking the client to wait for a refund then reordering it' is a risk to us as a business as they might not reorder due to the inconvenience

Message 8 of 8