x

How does Square store customer email addresses?

A recent customer chose to have her receipt for a Square chip reader purchase. When she entered her email address about 10 "suggested" email addresses popped up for her as an autopopulate option. Several of them belonged to her at one time or another. So I have 2 questions:

1. Where does Square aquire and store these email addresses? From previous purchases a person has made using the email address?

2. Does this constitute a security issue if email addresses not belonging to the customer pop up? A receipt could be emailed to the wrong person by mistake.

I rarely have people choose the email option so I haven't seen the suggest list of email addresses pop up before. Be design I think a better option is that the user has to enter it each time - inconvenient but far more secure.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Hi there @RedDragon. It sounds like your customer saw the list of email providers that appears to help customers enter their email address quickly without using the keyboard.

The same list shows up every time a customer enters a new email address (or edits the email address currently associated with their card). The list is based on the most popular email providers and looks like this:

In order to receive an automatic receipt from Square, customers provide one email address at the end of a check out. Then, the next time they use the card at a different seller their receipt will be sent to that email address (unless they request a printed receipt, or don't want any receipt.)

Only one email address is associated with a customer's payment card. If an email address is already associated with a customer's card, the full address is hidden to protect their privacy

I'm so sorry if this caused any concern to you or your customer but I hope this helps clarify. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 2